Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so me and my friends wanted to have a group of games that had some sort of hero progression to add some flavor to our games get without them getting too silly, he found and old fantasy rules set and i have tweeked to 40k i was wondering what you guys think

+++Mordheim 40,000+++

An abandoned mining colony. A precious hidden cache of curious glowing crystals that emit a faint greenish glow. A space battle for supremacy involving myriad species vying for control of the sector. Strike forces are sent to capture and return the cache. Counter strike forces are despatched. The race has begun...

THE FORCES

750pts army list
Minimum 1 HQ choice
No vehicle can have a combined total armour value exceeding 33 (quantum shielding is allowed)
No unit can cost more than 250 points
No 2+ armour saves
No invulnerable save can be better than 4+
Detachments, formations and unbound allowed (providing you stick to the above caveats)

THE MISSION

Played on 4' by 3' board
Maelstrom with the objectives “D3'd” (odd numbered objectives on one of the two boards, even numbered objectives on the other. This means that if you draw cards reading “hold objective 2 to score one victory point” you would need to hold objective 1 on the odd numbered board because the objectives are “D3'd”)
All games last 5 turns maximum or 1 hour
Besides the above, standard rulebook mission, deployment rules apply.

THE CAMPAIGN

The winner of the campaign will be determined by overall points won for wins and draws. These will be scored 3 points for a win, one for a draw. Whosoever has the most points come the conclusion of hostilities, then they shall be the victor!

Your warlord and one other character (give 'em names!) will gain experience through the battles they fight and the inevitable blood that is shed. They also have a chance to become injured and lose all manner of body parts, maybe even parts of their psyche too! The rules to represent your heroes struggles are as follows:

INJURY

If one or both of your characters is slain during a battle, afterwards you must roll a D66 on the following table to see what the grim lasting effects are...

11-15 Dead
Roll a die. 1=Death. The character may take no further part in any more battles. 2-5=Long Recovery. Miss the next D6 battles. 6=Worse Than It Looks. The character must miss the next battle due to grievous wounds.

16-21 Multiple Injuries
Your warrior is not dead, but they are seriously mangled. It's really nasty. Roll D6 more times on this table re-rolling 'Dead', 'Multiple Injuries', 'Captured' and 'Sold to the Pits' results.

22 Leg Wound
The characters knee is a bit wobbly. Subtract 1 from all run/turbo boost and charge moves he and his squad make. (This applies to all unit types)

23 Arm Wound
Roll again. 1=Amputation! Your poor guy has lost an arm and can only use one weapon at a time.
2-6=Light wound. Miss the next battle

24 Madness
A whopping blow to head can have all kinds of consequences... Roll again. 1-3=Tapped. Your character loses 1 point of leadership. 4-6=Berserker! Gain the rage special rule.

25 Smashed Leg
The character half's there run value, But may charge normaly.

26 Chest Wound
A serious torso wound that has weakened your warrior. He loses one point of toughness.

27 Blinded In One Eye
You hero has taken a brutal face wound. Randomly determine which eye has been blinded. Reduce the characters ballistic skill by 1. If the warrior loses sight in both eyes he is blind and may not take any further part in any battle.

32 Old Battle Wound
The warrior survives, but his wound will prevent him form fighting if you roll a 1 at the start of the battle from now on.

33 Nervous Condition
“Woah! What was that!? Did you see that? Go have a look would you?”
Your character loses one point of initiative.

34 Hand Wound
Your character loses one point of weapon skill.

35 Deep Wound
Your character is in a lot of pain. Roll D3. Miss that many battles.

36 Robbed
Your character has 'misplaced' one randomly determined piece of wargear. This can only be a purchased upgrade or a weapon. Grenades do not count.

41-55 Full Recovery
He's fine. Quit bitching and get fighting.

56 Bitter Enmity
The character makes a full recovery from the battle but is deeply psychologically scarred. He gains the hatred (everyone) special rule.

61 Captured
Roll again. 1=Dead. Some people don't care for prisoners. Roll again on the 'Dead' result. 2-3=Ransom. Your warrior is returned but loses all his upgrades purchased on his army roster. 4-5=Planned Escape. Your character is rescued... eventually. Miss the next battle. 6=Daring Escape. Your character breaks free most heroically and may fight in the next battle.

62-63 Hardened
The character takes his wound on the chin and becomes inured to the horrors of the grimdark. He is now fearless.

64 Horrible Scars
Really, really horrible scars. Gain the fear special rule.

65 Sold To The Pits
Your character wakes up in a grotesque fighting arena filled with unclean spectators. He must fight to survive! Randomly determine which of the other players warlords you must face. Roll off to see which side charges and then fight the battle as normal. If the warrior loses, roll a die. 1-3=Broken. The character losses all his purchased upgrades and must miss the next battle. 4-6=Battered. The character may fight next battle but still loses all purchased upgrades. If the character wins the combat he gains 2 points of experience and is free to return with all his wargear.

66 Survives Against The Odds
Gain one point of experience.

EXPERIENCE

Your characters learn and grow in new and furious ways as they battle many enemies. Also they pick up new tech, weapons, even relics as they explore. To represent this the following rules apply.
For every battle your character survives he gains 1 point of experience.

For killing an Enemy model gets the following: toughtness value 1,2,3 = 0.5 points
toughtness value 4,5,6 = 1 point
toughtness value 7+ = 2 points
For psykers they gain half the experience from damage done as a result of there buffs or debuffs (a unit buffed with preseance kills 4 maines the psyker would gain 2 points)
For every challenge your character wins, gain double points of experience. (this also counts if a person refused a challage to encourage them)
If your character slays your opponents warlord, gain a bonus 2 points of experience.
For every tactical objective personally achieved by your character and his squad, gain 1 point of experience.

As you gain points you can 'level up' your characters. Each time you reach enough XP to hit a new level roll once on the experience table.

2 points of experience = level one.
5pts = lvl2
10pts = lvl3
20pts = lvl4
40pts = lvl5
70pts = lvl6
100pts = lvl7

EXPERIENCE TABLE
not these cannot take your armor value to a 2+ armor or 3+ invulm other effect would still count (eg The Shield Eternal woudl still give you Adamantium Will and Eternal Warrior but not the 3+ invul)

Roll 2D6.
2-5 New wargear.
Purchase an upgrade from your codex up to the value of 15pts. It must be mundane, no relics.(can be banked to save up )

6 Characteristic Increase
Roll again. 1-3= plus one strength characteristic. 4-6= plus one attacks.

7 Characteristic Increase
Choose plus one WS or BS point to add to your characteristics.

8 Characteristic Increase
Roll again. 1-3= plus one initiative characteristic. 4-6= plus three to run/charge distance.

9 Characteristic Increase
Roll again. 1-3= plus one wound characteristic. 4-6= plus one toughness.

10-11 New Wargear
Purchase an upgrade from your codex up to the value of 25pts. It must be mundane, no relics.( can be banked to save up)

12 Relic Acquired! Choose one relic from your codex. Equip it to your warlord if the character is not able to take relics (for example, a space marine sergeant).

Notes:
A characteristic cannot be taken over 10. If a result like this is rolled, re-roll from the start of the experience table.

MOST IMPORTANT RULE

Have fun, play fair

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Thanks a lot. I'm going to print this and play it out :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thought this had died
well as for my game it went well i noticed that u get the first 1-3/4 lvs fast which was nice it gives your commanders personality early

there are a few thing i was planning on tweeking btu since now neferhet has taken a copy could love his feedback to make ti work

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Things here do not die: they take their time to be pondered >:)
About feed back, some questions-notes:

--the Xp system might as well have 4 levels: in a normal campaign no one is going to get 50+ xp. Unless you play once a week for half an year, that is (and even then...uhm. You end up dead before that, trust me 0:)). You could either remove the higher levels or make them more reachable, maybe reachable with some special requirements. (killed - not injured, outright dead - the enemy Hq; never been injured etc.)

--many injuries prevent a character to take part into battles, sometimes permanently (dead, totally blinded etc.). What happens when my main character (Hq) dies and cannot return? Do i play with no Hq and some 100 pts less? That would be awful. I might aswell restart a new warband.. or am i missing something? (that happened a lot in old Mordheim. After a bad loss you were almost forced to restart a new band, or fight with cripples and underequipped guys...)

--In a super-technological universe, a smashed leg or a blinded eye should just be replaced with implants. We could rule that such injuries (the various crippling) can be avoided with a roll or something alike, maybe with an equipment chart where you can buy replacement parts and goodies...

--about the 2+ and AV33 limit. i think that those limitations work great for kill teams, but even then, Terminators and Dreadnoughts (and the like) are really thought for this kind of dirty, personal, close quarter fighting. They are fluffwise used in such situations: lightning strikes and elite assaults. At 750 pts they can really shine and get to be actually used, opposed to the usual games where they just stay on the shelf. I'd soften the limit by saying that max. 2 units can have 2+ save and that AV limit is 34, BUT maximum armour for any side of a vehicle is 12. Maybe we can write it in a more "fluid" way :nerd:.

--About limitations i'd add body count limit and a wound per model limit, namely max 50-75 models on the board and max 2 or 3 wounds per model. Those limitations could also be variable, depending on the mission and the single game, maybe letting you change your list on the fly, agreeing with your opponent. Otherwise we could end up having some nasty buggers on the table (many late units are just too good) or 100+ orks/ cultists running amok. I know you said have fun etc...but... :wink2:

Those are my two cents.
What do you think?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i like the feedback and i will try to address the points how i pictured it

1. exp - this is ment for people who wanna progress there bands in a story way they might not get to play games often or might just fancy a change to to norm this is why u gain a few lvs fast and the rest takes a little longer

2. injuries - do need a little bit bit of work we played with 8 players 2 games at a time and no1 died so i think that one is ok as for missing games i might end up changing them to ether 1 for mild and d3 for worse

3.In a super-technological universe - i understand that for most races they could just fix all this but without it u cant have the variation think of it as there on a small ship far away from the main fleet and dont have access to that sort of stuff at the time

4. about the 2+ and AV33 limit - this is one of my fav parts of the whole thing it stops all the preds,serpents, russ tanks, termie spams, and heros that can crush armys in one go . the idea was to try and make a fair fighting ground for all races eg ur marines take a ton of tanks and 1 guy plays nids it tips the scales soo much

5. About limitations this is sorta covered in the game u wanna see the 10 man marines vs the 20 nid it make it more like real battles where ppl get stuck in

i will say play a few rounds with ppl and give it a good go , i plan to after the summer when everyone i play with settles bk down- but thx for the imput i will test what idea u put to see how they go

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i like the feedback and i will try to address the points how i pictured it

1. exp - this is ment for people who wanna progress there bands in a story way they might not get to play games often or might just fancy a change to to norm this is why u gain a few lvs fast and the rest takes a little longer

2. injuries - do need a little bit bit of work we played with 8 players 2 games at a time and no1 died so i think that one is ok as for missing games i might end up changing them to ether 1 for mild and d3 for worse

3.In a super-technological universe - i understand that for most races they could just fix all this but without it u cant have the variation think of it as there on a small ship far away from the main fleet and dont have access to that sort of stuff at the time

4. about the 2+ and AV33 limit - this is one of my fav parts of the whole thing it stops all the preds,serpents, russ tanks, termie spams, and heros that can crush armys in one go . the idea was to try and make a fair fighting ground for all races eg ur marines take a ton of tanks and 1 guy plays nids it tips the scales soo much

5. About limitations this is sorta covered in the game u wanna see the 10 man marines vs the 20 nid it make it more like real battles where ppl get stuck in

i will say play a few rounds with ppl and give it a good go , i plan to after the summer when everyone i play with settles bk down- but thx for the imput i will test what idea u put to see how they go
This summer i'm planning to have some games, so i'll definitely post my feedback :smile2:

About your answers, i get all of them. 1 ,2 and 3 makes sense.

Only thing that i think you are too much worried is 2+ and Av 12 stuff.
terminators cost a lot and will just die to a lot of things if you bring enough bodies (ever tried 5 terminators VS 30 guardsman? same cost, you'll be surprised of the outcome...) ; vehicles are not so tough, given the amount of firepower a specialized infantry list can take. But still, i am just talking for the fun of it :grin2:
I'll try those rules with the two modifications: AV 34 limit (max av overall 12) and only one unit of 2+ save.
I'll let you know if we encounter some prolem.
For the records, we'll be playing Chaos marines, dark eldars, space marines and orks.
Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts