Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When tank shocking/Ramming

Is it the hull of the vehicle or the deff Rolla itself that would Gain the attack

(The Deff Rolla add About 1.5" to the front of the BW)

Last Game my opponent claimed that i had to hit with the hull not the rolla
meaning that my unit would be on his a full 1" on his models but not in base contact

This is terribly stupid to me, and I WILL NOT PLAY HIM AGAIN

(And he knocked a piece of terrain onto my Koverted Mega Nobz(terminators), breaking off 3 Arms)

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
Knocked over on purpose? If so then what the hell?

With the question with ramming its when your model makes contact with the target model, in this case the deff rolla is hitting and making contact and doing the damage so your right, it'd say its the deff rolla that must hit, not the hull itself otherwise it'd get awkward placing the models.

·
4,491 Posts
Technically, the HULL of the vehicle would have to touch.

Thinks like Dozer Blades etc dont actually count as part of the vehicle.

Same goes for disembarking, it would probably stop you from disembarking from the front of the vehicle, unless you placed the models on top of the Deffrolla.

When you deploy, you can put the hull of the vehicle on the 12" mark, and have the Deffrolla sticking over.

But in all honesty, it just becomes a headache then, and makes movement distances etc very hard.

Best option is to make an agreement with the opponent about which way you are going to play, weather you count it or not.
Or alternatively, extend the top of the vehicle so the hull comes over the top of the Deffrolla.

·
Imperial Major
383 Posts
Or just declare the rolla as part of the hull for all purposes. It is orks. So for things like disembarking they'd clamber over it regardless of personal safety. But as KingOfCheese said make an agreement with your opponent.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Alternatively, mount the Deffrola in such a way that you can pivot upwards when it comes to movement and disembarking. I see nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
765 Posts
How about you just count the rolla as part of the hull? It doesn't specify in the book what size the wagon must be, so counting it as the vehicle simplifies things.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
either way you'd have to discuss this before the game

My opponent was just angry my BW's Rolla's were ruining his army
(I had 4)

In 20+ games with them before this, no-one had a problem with the first point of contact

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree with Cruor99, it´s easier to have it removable (magnetz) or pivot-able, than to bitch about such things, and it´d work in your favour massively, since it heavily reduces the front part of the vechile.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Technically your opponent was right, there's even a diagram in the BRB telling you how it works. To perform a tank shock or Ram then it's the hull of the vehicle, upgrades like a Deff Rolla do not count. Your other opponents probably accepted it because it wasn't much a concern. But now that you know this fact if you continue to play it like that you are cheating.

Aramoro

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes but you can use the Deffrolla as a piece of the hull, aslong as you measure it as it, under any circumstances (front-or side shots, disembark, etc etc).

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Yes but you can use the Deffrolla as a piece of the hull, aslong as you measure it as it, under any circumstances (front-or side shots, disembark, etc etc).
No you can't because it isn't. You are changing the footprint of the vehicle if you start adding in any body kit you want to the vehicle. Where would it end?

·
Registered
496 Posts
but adding things such as a Deffrolla or a Dozerblade to a Vehical WOULD change its footprint...

as long as your using the newly aquired footprint to mesure your vehical (for the purposes of DTT's and Deplyment and so on) i see no reason why you couldnt add things onto vehical (things such as upgrades) and have them count as a new footprint

if the Deffrolla adds 1"5 to the front of the Vehical then onveiously during deplyment the vehical with it is going to have to deply 1"5 further back in order to legaly deploy

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I think this inhabits one of the headache inducing areas of warhammer 40K rules.

In a friendly game, as long as it is discussed, it doesn't matter if you change the footprint. Honestly, unless you did some funky gluing on model of the sort which I hate doing, you have just glued on things that have significantly increased your footprint. Just think of page 2. "The most important rule is that the rules aren't all that important!" It ain't an advantage. You start in the same place, but you now have a much longer side to take fire on. Just talk about it first.

In a tournament game, it is what they say and you will have to deal with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You are not allowed to change or add to a model in an attempt to gain a gaming advantage.
How is making the vehicle a bigger target for your opponent advantageous for you. If anything it is a hinderance to you and therefore your opponent would have to be stupid to say no to you. Not to mention it's a battle wagon with a deffrolla on it isn't it a big enough target as it is.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Thats just the rules, don't kick me for pointing them out. The BRB references scratch-build models specifically, so they must have your battlewagons in mind...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts