Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was researching viking runes while working on a Stormfang and I decoder ed a cool coincidence. The Stormfang/Stormwolf's profile when viewed from above the model resembles a viking rune called Tyr (named for a norse god). Tyr was a god of Law and Heroic Glory in Norse mythology. He was more recently portrayed as the son of Odin. He has also been equated to Mars/Ares the god of war.

I thought it might be cool to discuss whether or not this symbolism in design of the Stormfang / Stormwolf is a a coincidence or intentional.

·
Thordis
2,442 Posts
I honestly find that the top down profile of a stormfang looks more like a common T then the rune of Tyr
but considering that the Tyr rune stands for the T in the alphabet. and the obvious likeness between the two symbols. I would say there is a slight resemblence

I mainly think its a coincidence. considering that most of the "runes" used in the Space wolves decals are at best based on one of the old rune scripts.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. It's a lot of fun to think about though.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I imagine if you deciphered them it would say "you paid how much for this? :laugh: "

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you can't afford buy models you can always make one out of paper.

·
Registered
602 Posts
90% of the runes on space wolves are just random jibberish, and i am one who can fluently read the runes.

and just for the record, Tyr as never been, nor will ever be, a "son of odin" infact he was considered the "head" god before Odin.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In the Prose Edda Tyr is portrayed as Odin's son.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
ah yes, the christians guide to norse Mythology. thats about as accurate as you can guess most christians with like of the norse at the time could actually see.

Still the eddas are regarded as the most accurate of the old literature about norse mytology. Other than that there are rune Stones.
But what we know today, Tyr was a greater god together with Ull and Med before Odin and Thor did their entrence into the nordic countries. Much off what was Tyr was tranfered to Odin and Tyr was put back as an old but minor diety.
Tjusning ofcourse only theories from people who do science on old names and places and has found that those names are older than Odin, Thor and Frey.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As accurate as you can be actually.

·
Thordis
2,442 Posts
ah yes, the christians guide to norse Mythology. thats about as accurate as you can guess most christians with like of the norse at the time could actually see.
its in a book, so it has to be true right? :laugh:

but on a different note, yeah, the Eddas are the most complete deliveries about the norse gods

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It would be cool if they did actually mean something
Same goes for all armies.... Would be sweet if the models had their own little 'Easter eggs' in the scripts and stuff on them... But I guess the design teams not paid to sit around and research runes!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts