Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the Tyranid FAQ altering how Tyrant Guard work, it got me pondering their effectiveness.

Disclaimer: I would never use this in a friendly tournament, or any tournament where there is a sportsmanship score. This is for Ard Boyz only.

I'm looking to see if anyone can come up with a reason, rules wise, why this won't work.

Setup: We have 1 Hive Tyrant with 1 Tyrant Guard. We have 1 Swarmlord with 1 Tyrant Guard.

They are deployed and move up the field like this:

With the Guard eacch diagonal to their own tyrant, and out at 2", it shouldn't interefere with movement to much. Would setting up like this, give both units a 4+ cover save from anything firing in the front 180?

Go to it RAW lawyers!

Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
You'd be firing through an intervening unit or at a unit in cover, so yes.

You'd also have used about 600pts to do it.

You can do this with infantry squads if you really want to, by forming two of them into an overlapping S curve.

You can probably expect your opponent to RAW the hell out of you if you do it, though.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You will get a cover save but your opponent will hammer you hard on movement, making sure you do not move though other units etc. So swings and round abouts.

Note, this would not work at any INAT ruled event.

Aramoro

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'd be firing through an intervening unit or at a unit in cover, so yes.
Thank god that only one of those 4 models actually has a gun!

You'd also have used about 600pts to do it.
Its actually almost 700 points.

You can probably expect your opponent to RAW the hell out of you if you do it, though.
Never played at a Ard Boyz before I take it? It's par for the course there.

You will get a cover save but your opponent will hammer you hard on movement, making sure you do not move though other units etc. So swings and round abouts
Agreed. I might lose an inch or two off movement in the first turn. But thats the only turn I expect them to take a serious drubbing where they would need a cover save. After that, they get close enough to knock out the heavy weapons with Paryoxsm.
So what did you mean about not moving through other units? Cause as far as I can tell, there is no restriction moving through friendly units as long as the gaps between models would physiclly let you do so.
(2" gap for coherency, Tyrant guard are on a 1.5" base. Tyrants are up front so don't care.)

Note, this would not work at any INAT ruled event
Like I said, Ard Boyz only.
I had such a horrible time at the semi finals, by trying to be the friendly gamer, that I've learned my lesson. If I'm going to a venue where every player is going to be a douche, I'm going to be fighting back this time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts