Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Alright well, I figured it would be pretty neat to have a back story to my particular army. You can check it out in another thread I have posted under the Army Listings board (I'm using the 2k list for the fluff).
I figure this will eventually let me make some rulesets more easily once I start out Apocalypse.
I typed this up in about 30 minutes, so it's nothing fancy. I figure the GKs will come down later, I'm looking for potential reasons why an inquisitor would let stormtroopers live after they fought alongside GKs (then again, it might just be IG that get executed, not inquisitorial stormtroopers, I don't know could use some help here).
Anyways, without further ado...

Barski sighed, long and melodramatically. The area he had just been led to threatened to emotionally overtake him. Originally, when drafted under the divine guise of the Inqusition he lost hope. Bernard Gui, after all, was well known throughout sector Tempestus for his ruthlessness and never-quenching thirst for more damnable souls. Thus, when he was conscripted into this holy force, Barski was understandably terrified.
He originally had large plans for himself tied to the Imperial Guard. He wanted to become a stormtrooper; to use his nobility as leverage to get himself into the prestigious position. He would battle hard and long, always miraculously surviving against whatever xenos or heretical scum he was thrown against, and eventually ascend to a command role and lead great legions of men and machine into battle under the gaze of the High Council of Terra itself.
Instead, he was given a veritable death sentence, recruited into the force of one of the most ruthless, battle hungry inquisitors this side of Tallarn.
All of these negative feelings melted away the moment he had seen the Imperial flagship Mandate of the Emperor outside his view-port. He Barski had heard of these great ships of the Emperor during his schooling, but never dreamed of actually boarding one.
There was a tangible feeling of anticipation the moment the boarding ship pulled into the landing bay. As soon as the ship had landed, the initiates filed out of the craft in a disordered shuffle, grabbing at their assigned duffle bags loaded with, what from now on would be their only possessions.
As soon as the men were off the ship, they were led by deck hands to a small, nondescript room branching off their point of arrival. Here they waited for an eternity until, presumably, the crew managed to talk someone into guiding these arrivals to where they needed to go.
A pot-bellied, balding man opened the door adjacent to where they had come in, beaconed them forward, and led them through a confusing maze of other small, seemingly pointless rooms and several larger rooms including armories and a flight deck observation booth. Eventually they reached their destination, and Barski was awestruck. The sheer magnificence of the hallway he was in currently was beyond anything he had even dreamed of.
The passage stretched on beyond discernable eye sight, with an arched roof that towered overhead. Massive stained glass windows lined the wall, all depicting ancient events that Barski could not even begin to identify. Great, gothic styled chandeliers hung from the ceiling, tossing a dim inconsistent light throughout the area.
As encapsulated as he was by all this, he had not noticed the shuffling of feet, nor the prolonged silence.
A shot rang out in the sudden quiet; slamming into Barski’s back; punching a hole through his heart and out of his chest.
“Negligence will NOT be tolerated” a gruff voice shouted out, and as Barski’s consciousness faded the only thing he could think of was all that could have been.

Bernard Gui was not a man who accepted any form of disregard. He was the type who would sooner kill you than chide you, and all of the soon-to-be stormtroopers learned this as soon as Barski’s corpse hit the deck.
The men’s guttural fear was mixed with sincere awe. Gui was an intimidating presence, towering over normal men at close to seven feat. He wore a bronze suit of ornately carved armor that represented his dedication to the Emperor. It was covered with symbols of the aquilla and parchments filled with divine scriptures.
He looked down the lines that the recruits had formed as soon as his presence had been sighted. Twenty-one men in total, just the number he needed for this simple check up. The twenty-second was lying lifeless on the floor.
His retinue had come to expect displays like this from the Inquisitor. Gui had, through numerous battles throughout his career, whittled his henchmen down to the very best he could find. One of the things that irked him was that Gui was but an Inquisitor, and he realized he was nothing but a blood hound for the Inquisitor Lords and Grey Knights. Regardless, he liked to keep himself safe and his followers were toughened by numerous skirmishes. He had a heavily armed servitor, two extensively purified zealous body guards, and a council made of a couple of irate sages and an impossible to read mystic, who’s very indifference proved the perfect weight to balance Gui’s fiery temper and non-existing tolerance.
Although Gui was loathe to admit it, he had little jurisdiction over the flagship. The only portions he controlled were the bunkers his limited troops were staying in and the area they would be training in; the rest of the ship belonged to an Imperial Guard regiment that was moving on bequest of an influential Inquisitorial Lord to support a hive city close to falling due to the taint of chaos. Gui and his troops were little more than inconvenient passengers that would be dropped off unceremoniously at the planet due for inspection.
He noticed his assassin standing silently at the side of the room, almost unnoticeable. He had a tendency to stand in at these initiations of new stormtroopers, never moving never talking. It was obvious that he wasn’t trying to hide as well, given the dim lighting of the room and the sporadic shadows a Vindicare Temple assassin trying to masque himself would be nearly impossible for anyone short of an Astartes to observe.
After a spell of walking between the ill aligned ranks of nervous recruits; he began to talk; his voice carrying with an air of roughened justice that he had naturally adopted from time spent with both brother Inquisitors and the nameless foot sloggers of the Imperial Guard.
“I’m sure you’ve all heard of me,” he began. “And now here you are, face to face with the man who has wrought imperial justice across dozens of battlefields.” He gazed each man in the face, and then said, in a voice barely hearable yet perfectly clear “If you are lucky, you may live to see a planet or two.” He grinned as his final remark made the initiates fidget in their places, trying to hide the disturbed looks upon their faces.
He subconsciously picked a man out from the ranks, third column, second row, as his hand closed on the grip of his bolt pistol once more. He pulled it out of his holster and in one fluid motion leveled the gun and pulled the trigger, penetrating the brow of a nervous looking nobilite.
“You must know no fear, or after your first planet fall you will surely exact my cruel form of justice upon yourself” Gui spat, his gaze browsing the draftees.
He slammed his pistol back into its holster, turned on his heel and, followed by his retinue, began to walk down the endless corridor. After he was a good distance away, he picked up the faint sound of crying. If the recruits were smart, they would shut his man up quickly.
Surely enough, the crying stopped and a thump, like a body hitting the floor, resounded through the hallway. These men might not be hopeless after all Gui thought, smirking to himself.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
That sounds like one of the typical types of inquisitors. really good fluff though

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like one of the typical types of inquisitors. really good fluff though
well what I figure, which I think would be neat if I ever wrote a character sheet, is that this whole take no shit mentality would let me give the inquisitor a radial commissar-esque leadership buff.
Maybe for all stormtroopers within his 12".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts