Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello heresy land!
I have a question to pose to you guys, something which has vexed me and a few others, what is the greatest single hero or villain you can make from your codex?

Now, this seems a very vague question, so let me give you some context as to how we got to question, and what we are actually asking. What I really love about the Space Wolves is the characters that you can generate, you can create an army of individuals, each seeking glory for the all father (and themselves of course). They aren’t just a mass of blank faces which can come from vanilla marines *braced for the hate train*. Chaos space marines are another example where you can really individualise your models, and create fun fluffy characters.

One day, me and some mates got together for a few games and starting talking about a model which we feel has got a life of its own, who had waded through the thickest of fights and come out with barely a scratch. Of course the usual’s were mentioned, riptides who had managed to evade everything thrown at them and dished out destruction every turn, and the 2+ cover save daemon prince smashing headlong into a gunline and practically slaying the entire of the enemy force single handed, etc etc.

After a while we got into discussing more specifically our single infantry models, HQ units totting so much gear that they were pretty much a walking army of their own. Of course this is when the arguments started, who could create the best generic HQ unit that had the capability of going into pretty much any situation and coming out on top without the support of any other model. Even now we are still arguing, boasting over work breaks when we happen to run across each other.

So I’d like to throw it out to you guys, and see how you respond.

A few rules we have abided to when creating our characters:
  1. The model in question must be a single, unnamed and non-unique HQ unit (e.g. Space marine captain, Ork Big mekk, etc.)
  2. The build must be legal, meaning that he takes only the options that are available to him/her. It is assumed that they may only take a single relic/artifact equivalent from the codex.
  3. Supplements and dataslates (crimson slaughter, Champions of Fenris, etc.) can be used
  4. We didn’t really set a points limit, so I’d say go for it, create a model with as many options as you want
  5. The model is assumed that they will be by him or herself for the entire game, they are an army of one. If they were charging into assaults, they would do so alone. If they sit backfield, they would have no other friendly models around, they are simply by themselves. They cannot purchase any additional models (such as fen wolves)
  6. They cannot buy transports! But can have a mount, such as a bike, daemon, etc.
  7. It is assumed they are NOT your warlord, so do not have warlord traits. Some armies have better traits than others, so this keeps everyone at level pegging (well, as level as possible!)

As to who or what you are facing, that is entirely up to you. Are you going up against a horde of greenskins? Or a tau battle line? Or are you just creating a character to take on all comers?

For instance, the model I campaigned for was:
Wolf Lord
Thunderwolf mount
Runic Armour
Stormshield
Black Death
Digital weapons
Meltabombs

This build would be for all comers, send him up the board straight into the thick of it

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
With only a little thought,

CSM: Black-Legion

Deamon Prince,

Power Armour, Wings, Gift of Mutation.. Mark of Nurgle (2+ Cover/Jink)
Level 4 Psyker (3+ Last Memory of Yuanthos)+ Skull of Ker'ngar 4+ Deny the which rolls, and imume to Instant Death

Eye of the Night - To use on turn one to try and cripple LOW's and other big things..

Spine Shiver Blade for +D6 extra attacks.

Boom!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Destroyer lord
Warscythe
Res. Orb
Phylactery
Nightmare Shroud
Phase Shifter
Mindshackle Scarabs
Gauntlet of fire

250pts T6 S7 AP2 2+,4++,5+++ w/ It will not die, Preferred Enemy (Everything) and able to re-roll 5+++ for a turn
Just try and kill that

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With only a little thought,

CSM: Black-Legion

Deamon Prince,

Power Armour, Wings, Gift of Mutation.. Mark of Nurgle (2+ Cover/Jink)
Level 4 Psyker (3+ Last Memory of Yuanthos)+ Skull of Ker'ngar 4+ Deny the which rolls, and imume to Instant Death

Eye of the Night - To use on turn one to try and cripple LOW's and other big things..

Spine Shiver Blade for +D6 extra attacks.

Boom!
I wondered how long the nurgle prince would take to appear. A hard nut to crack indeed! Large numbers of ignores cover could be a problem, but you've got to pin it down first!

Is all the black legion gear artifacts? Never played against them or read their rules.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Destroyer lord 110pts
Warscythe +20pts
Res. Orb +25pts
Phylactery +15pts
Nightmare Shroud +35pts
Phase Shifter +25pts
Mindshackle Scarabs +10pts
Gauntlet of fire +10pts

250pts T6 S7 AP2 2+,4++,5+++ w/ It will not die, Preferred Enemy (Everything) and able to re-roll 5+++ for a turn
Just try and kill that
Itemised points costs, naughty falcoso :p

Chapter Master on Bike with Burning Blade, Artificer Armour, Shield Eternal and Digital Weapons (expensive, but amazing)
Warboss in Mega Armour with da Lucky Stikk, Cybork Body, Kombi-Skorcha and Attack Squig (not great, but super-super cheap for what he does)
Bloodthirster with the Eternal Blade and Greater Reward (beats basically anyone in combat, getting there is more of an issue)
Grey Knight Grand Master with Soul Glaive and Master-Crafted Psycannon (kills anything without Eternal Warrior or if they roll a bunch of 2+ saves if he gets to swing at I5)
Necron Overlord with the Solar Thermasite, Warscythe, Phase Shifter, Phylactery, Resurrection Orb and Gauntlet of Fire. (slightly less resilient than falcoso's build, perhaps, but a Str8 AP2 weapon at I2 with a Heavy Flamer overwatch is no joke and a 3+/4++/5+ Feel No Necrons with re-rolling 1s on saves and IWND is still hard to shift).
OP's Wolf Lord build

Am I the only one that doesn't like Daemon of Nurgle on a Prince? Sure, 2+ Jink is great, but Ignores Cover isn't uncommon, you're still fragile in combat, and losing the ability to run people down is huge.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I wondered how long the nurgle prince would take to appear. A hard nut to crack indeed! Large numbers of ignores cover could be a problem, but you've got to pin it down first!

Is all the black legion gear artifacts? Never played against them or read their rules.
Yep its all Black Legion Gear.

Last Memory of Yuanthos < Gives the Guy another spell*(a broken on as well 'Huge Nova) and Level (hence level 4)
Eye of the Night < Large Blast, causes D3+1 Hullpoints of damage to everything hit! No Cover save.
Skull of Ker'ngar< Addamiti will and Eternal Warrior.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Are you not limited to one Relic?

If not by the book, then certainly by the OP :so_happy:
Nope. You can have as many as you have the points for...

But the Deamon Prince is clocking in at over 450pts... closer to 500 if you give him the item to allow him to make one AP1 Instant Death attack (with S10 and Armour and Flesh Bane)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Tau crisis commander- onager gauntlet
Who sucks at close combat now! :threaten:

probably wanna throw in iribium armour, stil injector, shield generator... And um... pimp slaps!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
While it's probably not as powerful as some could be, my favorite HQ right now is the GK Hammer of the g... I mean Librarian.

Level 3, Liber Demonica, and a strong Warlord roll (reroll it!)means he could 6 of the 7 GK powers if you stick with Santic, and reroll 1s on the casting.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
My mind jumped straight to a Black Legion or Crimson Slaughter MoN Palanquin Lord, depending if you wanted Skull of Ker'ngar or Daemonheart, respectively. But nah, that DP is gonna wreck his face first.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Lord Scion Cerastus Knight Lancer = 425pts

Solar Auxilia Tank Commander; Monster Hunter, Stormhammer, 6 Lascannons, Armoured Ceramite, Pintle Mounted Heavy Flamer, Four Hunter-Killer Missiles

Solar Auxilia Tank Commander; Monster Hunter, Hunter Killer Missile, Armoured Ceramite, Two Pairs of Sponsons with a Lascannon and Twin Linked Heavy Bolter in each, Pintle Heavy Flamer

ArchMagos Prime, Malagra, Master-crafted Paragon Blade, Chainfist, Machinator Array, Phased Plasma-Fusil, Abeyant, Contagium Mechanica, Void Shield Harness, Cloaking Array, Combat Augment Array, Phase-walker, Warp Shunt Field, Nanyte Blaster = 465

First few are easy. They're Super-Heavies, bringing either a Strength D and Stomp in the manner of the Knight, and just a shed load of firepower for the Super Heavy tanks, including Strength D for the Volcano Cannon.

The latter is a complete beast;

4 WS5, Preferred Enemy attacks against enemy characters, with a Master-crafted Paragon Blade (S5 AP2, and Instant Death on a roll of 6 to hit) with a Combat Augment Array allowing a guaranteed 6 once per battle at the expense of a Toughness Test (at T5 with a reroll courtesy of my Cyber Familiar). Alternatively, if facing a vehicle I can activate Chainfist for Armourbane. On top of that, I get 2 S5 Shred AP2 Armourbane Attacks from the Machinator Array (so, that's 6-7 S5 AP2 Attacks).

Defensively, I have a 2+/3++, while enemy shooting attacks which draw LoS to me automatically take D6 S5 hits if I roll a 6, on top of T6, 4 Wounds, and IWND, while surrounded by an AV12 forcefield vs shooting.

Movement wise, I can instantly redeploy anywhere unless I'm caught in CC; which once per game, I can activate to turn myself immune to being shot at or charged unless enemy is Daemon or Psyker.

In addition, for shooting, I can shoot either my flamer or inferno pistol from the array, and one other weapon (either the other weapon, my Plasma Fusil (Salvo 2/3 S6 AP3) or my Nanyte Blaster (S5 AP2 Fleshbane), or even my Contagium Mechanica which puts a Haywire hit on the enemy vehicle if necessary. I think that's everything.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 27 Posts