Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone created custom warhammer 40k rpgs? Using another rpg's system with 40k mods is pretty much the way to go and fine by me, but just wondering if anyone else has done it. And if so, care to share some of your work and a summary with the rest of us?

-Khaine-

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The problem I always had with the conceot of a 40k RPG is that 40k just isn't roleplay friendly for the most part.

At least, not the people anyone will actually want to play.
No space marines, no aspect warriors, no battlesuit pilots, no sisters of battle, etc.

They;re all too dedicated/subsumed buy their role/duty/philosophy.

Roleplay prospects would pretty much be as follows:
Inquisitor (which is why the closest thing we havr to an RPG is about them)
renegade/runaway IG soldier
Rogue Trader
Imperial Peon
Eldar Outcast

That's about it.
Tau are too dedicated to their greater good schtick
Eldar are too invilved in their craftworlds (exceot the afforeentioned outcasts)
Chaos and Dark Eldar are just too insane
Orcs don't go anywhere by themselves and are universally feared/hated
Space Marines never leave their chapter, unless they go over to chaos

There just isn;t a lot to play with
About the only interesting options are rogue trader or outcast eldar. And while you could do some bitchin Firefly-style action wigth that, it's just not what people think of when they think 40k.

They think "I wanna play a space marine"

That said, if anyone figures it out and wants to play online, I'm totally in ;-)

·
Banned
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is a bonus to what you can play..

Space Marines, from time to time, get exiled from their chapter for either misdeeds, dishonor, or just plain failing to stick to the code. More and more marines think for themselves and are getting tired of the life of unending war 'til death.

Plus, sometimes said exiled marine might get to keep a prized weapon or even his ceramite armor, as it is fitted for specifically him. He would become a depressed shadowy figure, rarely wearing that armor and probably becoming a batman-eqsue effigy on a random hive world until someone recruits him with enough charisma.

Even certain Eldar get exiled from their craftworlds, for way more minor things, like agreeing to help an Imperial. Imagine a dishonored striking scorpion and an exiled marine working together on a deathworld.

-Khaine-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Or you could just have a hive gang losing themselves in the darkness of the undercity?

Or how about a group of unlikely allies drawn together through adversity? Marine-Eldar-Orc-Tau all huddling together against a sudden chaos assult?

It's not all about Space Marines and big shooty armies. What stands 40K head and shoulders over any other wargame is it's deep and involving history and background fluff. There is no limit to what you could have an RPG about:

Terminators clearing a space hulk.

Eldar hunting tyranids upon a craftworld.

Orcs exploring a mysterious tomb.

Cultists searching for a long lost artifact lost deap in the heart of a shrine world.

Tau lost behind enemy lines trying to get back to safety.

An infiltration squad breaking into a city to lower it's defences before the main assault.

An assassination force hunting down a renegade hidden in one of their own cities.

Adventure hunters seeking out forgotten techno treasures in long lost places.

No, when it comes to 40K I don't believe there is such a thing as 'too little material' to come up with any concept or situation.

~GeeDee

·
Banned
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If anyone is tickled with the want to run such a game, WoD system or other, I'm in. I'd say do it on OpenRPG still, as it's the best medium out there IMO, especially for record-keeping and die-rolling.

-Khaine-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I have no idea how to actually run an RPG but ifsomeone is willing to colude with me I think we might be able to come up with a good system and storyline.

Any takers?

·
Banned
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would definitely be up to creating a 40k RPG ruleset. I would use a d10 system to just simplify the game and give better odds. I'm a pro at doing this, so I could prolly finish it within a day or so, in a good usable condition. I'll work on it in my offtime. Anyone with useful ideas should post em. Make sure they are intelligent and able to manipulate into die rolls or the like, and I will take them all into consideration. Then you can all take the basics and maim them as you will to your end evil ends!

-Khaine-

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I'm in.

We can use any one of those ideas GD already posted.

BTW--i might need help with the RPGing.

I've never actually done one with dice. I've done the "story ones."

·
Banned
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok folks, I've been doing work on this whenever I have freetime away from work and GF, so it's not as far as I'd like, but I have a great base concept written out. I've used a slight base of the WoD system and altered it in a unique and radical way. I'm still working out weapons, deeper special advantages of weapons & armors, and deeper racial advantages/disadvantages. Then there is psychic powers. I figured it would be best to have a human psyker as a race all its own, as the run-of-the-mill ones tend to be frailer, withdrawn and/or paranoid, and exceptionally wild in random situations. A more proper psyker wouldn't be starting character, but earned through a long campaign, and avoiding black ships.

A little of the pages I've written..

Major Abilities(aka physycal/mental attributes)
Strength, Reaction, Endurance, Intelligence, Perception & Charisma.
--These are the base of your Minor Abilities and pretty much everything else. They all range from 0-5, as 5 is the racial maximum for all playable races. Equipment, psychic powers, and possession can pass these, but never the base score. You start with a given amount of points to disperse through those 6 abilities, depending on your character.

Minor Abilities(aka skills/talents/abilities)
Alertness
Armed Combat
Athletics
Computers
Demolitions
Diplomacy
Dodge
Empathy
Imperial Law
Intimidate
Leadership
Medicae
Unarmed Combat
Pilot
Ranged Combat
Repair
Security
Stealth
Subterfuge
Warp Knowledge

There is an amount of points dedicated to these 'skills'. Minor abilities work different than WoD, in that the character has every skill, but must BUY IN to that skill to avoid harsher difficulties and failures. All of them are derived from two major abilities and are given a base score according to the division of the two. Halves aren't disregarded and instead grant a +1 to a single die roll per pool. Specialization is possible by buying into a skill twice. Difficulties and failures are reduced doing this with a particular weapon or during a particular task.

Combat is essentially the d10 normal. That's what I'm working on at the moment, i.e. working abilities into the scheme and how initiative and rounds should change if necessary.

Weapons and Armor are going to be fairly simply in combat implemention, but each will have special abilities regarding its type. Power weapons use "Powered" which causes burst damage on impact and ignores armor bonuses, and Chain weapons use "Rending" which causes deep wounds and excessive bleeding. I'm still working on these heavily as well.

Backgrounds. Fairly unchanged but adding and removing a few.

Virtues. They are different in implementation from their WoD counterparts, as is the removal of Conscience and addition of Faith. Willpower is changed to Fate and worked in a few different ways.

I've done very little with psychic powers an playable races, but an Imperial Human is complete. They pretty much get a few basic skills as Bought In, one having to be Imperial Law.

To be real, Ceramite Armor is rediculously powerful and making it less powerful would shame it's capabilities. An Astartes is near-impossible to beat one-on-one without getting a huge drop with powerful weapons.

-Khaine-

·
Banned
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need to add a few more skills methinks. I have to think of any situation, cause the oddest things always happen or PCs want them to.
Also, for things that are more generalized, you make a Major Ability roll to accomplish the task, with a little bit more difficulty.

Khaine

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There are a couple systems that actually work well for this:

Savage Worlds.
I've run this one myself. We had a Space Marine (remainder of a Deathwatch Kill Team) a telekine, an assassin, an Interrogator and a couple other retinue folks. Very quick and easy to run.

Mutants and Masterminds.
When you get down to it, an Astartes, Psyker or the like would easily be on the superheroic scale, where the retinue folks will vary between agent-bashers and supers. Sounds dorky but it works.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Can I be a kroot merc? I want a master-crafted ass kicker +2

BTW, im in. Just tell me,when, where, and how.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i'm in of course i couldn't really do much but i could help with the storyconcept

i like the cultist idea ,it fits in with the website, you could start as a human or an exile from another race (mmm a nurgle worshipping ork) and you join an underground cult trying to overthrow a hive city and there could be insurgent ambushes and the space marines would have to be called in then something weird like the sheer will of the cultists calling into existence a new daemon prince then they over throw the city and move of in splinter fleets to gather followers for the daemon prince (chaos pirate-missonaries) :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts