Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst Building up my up and coming Wolfwing army I figured I might as well test out some of the other options avaible to the space wolves by using my Chaos marines in a much dreaded "count as" list... :cray:

That in mind i'm looking for some C & C for this list.

HQ

Rune Priest/ JoTWW, Living Lightning/ 100pts

Elites

10 Wolf Guard/ Powerfist, Mark of the Wulfen/ 197pts
+ Rhino//35pts

9 Wolf Guard/ 9 Combi Plasma, 1 MeltaBomb/ 212pts
+Rhino//35pts

Dreadnought/ TL Autocannon, Heavy Flamer, Wolf Tooth Necklace/ 135pts

Troops

10 Grey Hunters/ 2 Melta Gun, Wolf standard, Mark of the Wulfen, Power Fist/210pts
+Rhino//35pts

10 Grey Hunters/ 2 Flamer, Wolf standard, Mark of the Wulfen, Power Fist/200pts
+Rhino//35pts

10 Grey Hunters/ 2 Plasma Gun, Wolf standard, Mark of the Wulfen, Power Fist/220pts
+Rhino//35pts

8 Grey Hunters (The Lebanon Lemmings)/ Powerfist, Mark of the Wulfen/190pts
+Rhino//35pts

Heavy Support

Vindicator/ Dozer Blade/ 120pts

1999pts

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Dozer blades on vindicators? Where do you imagine them going? Rhetorical question aside, for 5 more points, you can do better with a siege shield. Personally, I'd buy extra armor and not drive anywhere, so you can shoot every turn. After that, I question why you're using so many PA marines when it may be raining demolisher shells. I would anticipate some friendly fire casulties.:(
Consider drop pods if you're going to spam marines and also have a Dreadnought. You could take advantage of cheap combi weapons on your WG pods and unload with up to 20 plasma shots,10 melta or any combination of the above on landing. also, cheap power weapons on the WG means that if you wanted to get crazy you could have 4-5 in each squad and still have models to toss as casulties. Also, in your 10 man GH squads, rather than specializing each squad with a type of heavy weapon, consider saving points by taking the free flamer and then putting a free plasma or melta on the 10th man.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Dozer blades on vindicators? Where do you imagine them going? Personally, I'd buy extra armor and not drive anywhere, so you can shoot every turn.
vindicators have a 24" range. most of the time you have to move them to be able to shoot them, and in doing so sometimes you go through cover and get immobilized. im not a big fan of the vindi spam though.

Consider drop pods if you're going to spam marines and also have a Dreadnought. You could take advantage of cheap combi weapons on your WG pods and unload with up to 20 plasma shots,10 melta or any combination of the above on landing. also, cheap power weapons on the WG means that if you wanted to get crazy you could have 4-5 in each squad and still have models to toss as casulties.
drop pod armies are good and all but you dont get your whole army all at once. plus once you come in your a lot slower moving. with the wolf guard, yea sure you can have a bunch of special weapons, but when you do this the unit becomes more of a target.

i would drop the mark on the WG though to add a second cc weapon, maybe 2 fists or a pw and a fist if thats what you like.

Also, in your 10 man GH squads, rather than specializing each squad with a type of heavy weapon, consider saving points by taking the free flamer and then putting a free plasma or melta on the 10th man.
this is a good idea, but if you need plasma 2 is better than 1. also plasma isnt really worth it on grey hunters. you cant assault afterwards, and your like oh, but i have counter attack, but then they get more attacks. it's better just to charge in most cases. id say load up on melta.

ive said it before, power fists on grey hunters is a waste. 1-2 attacks with a fist isnt worth 25 points. not when WG can be put in the squad and get 2-3.
and on top of that its cheaper.

wg with fist 38
grey hunter with fist 40

now you say you lose a special weapon? for 5 points you can give the WG a combi weapon. also he boosts the grey hunters leadership up to 9.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
At 2000 points, most good opponents will have enough ranged anti tank that 3 vindis and a dread just don't scare them. So you need to realize there is a critical flaw in your list that will be expoloited by a good opponent.

Yes, once you get into CC you'll do quite well... but you're gonna have a long walk to get there since you don't have enough threats on the board to cause your opponent to redirect fire once he pops the vindis (which is easy with side shots into AV11)

Assuming that you're set on the vindis though, I would consider some variant of the following....

2 Rune Priests for HQ
4 WG with Power Fist
2x 10 man Grey Hunter Packs - 2x Melta + Power Weapon
1x 8 man Grey Hunter Pack - Melta + Power Weapon
1x 9 man Grey Hunter Pack - Melta + Power Weapon
3x Land Speeder Typhoon
2x Dread w/ two Autocannons each
3x Vindicators

This way you'll be able to have a chance to do some tank hunting. You have 4 units that will do well in CC (and the Rune priests shoot living lightning at transports/MC in the meantime..)

But just the vindicators and dread alone are not enough of a threat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts