Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

A buff to Bloodthirsters

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Squire 
#1 ·
With the changes to switching flight modes with FMC in 7th edition, I think the Bloodthirster got hit particularly hard. The Greater Daemon that's supposed to be the melee powerhouse has to waste a turn switching from swooping to gliding, eat a turn of shooting protected by only a 3+/5++, and then make the charge. They simply waste too much time getting into combat. I don't think I'd ever take a Bloodthirster (other than because they're awesome, which is a good reason), instead of a Black Mace Nurgle prince.

I don't think it would be particularly game breaking to give Bloodthirsters a little something like this:

Winged Charge

The Bloodthirster may charge on the same turn it switches flight modes from Swooping to Gliding.

This is simply allowing the Bloodthirsters to behave as they did in 6th edition, where they were not particularly overpowered.

GW, if you want to sell Bloodthirsters again for 40k, FAQ this shit.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
To each his own, I suppose.

I guess if you're a narrative type player and you see Be'lakor in EVERY game, I get it. Plus, it would be annoying simply to play against Be'lakor every game, regardless of lore.

I have used him a handful of times, and in the fluff of my army Be'lakor, Abaddon, and Krannon are all trying to gain an influence over the warband. Most often Kharn joins up simply because he loves killing stuff as much as I love watching him kill stuff. Not that I'd need a "reason" to run the army as different supplements the way C:SM use Chapter Tactics, but I guess it makes it slightly more fun.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Regarding special characters, I always had the same attitude that they're not always going to be appearing in games (and why my specific army?) but why not just imagine your special character rules representing someone else? I'm going to use Be'lakor but in my head he isn't Be'lakor, just an undivided daemon prince.

With Kharn for instance you could simply paint up a World Eaters/Black Legion/Night Lord etc. chaos lord with a power axe and plasma pistol and use the rules for Kharn. As long as your fluff fits him being a great, if somewhat out of control, warrior with an axe and plasma pistol, why not? I like that sort of approach because my warlord can still be my warlord with his own fluff, but he happens to be represented on the table with the special rules of a particular existing character.
Agreed. I use this guy as Kharn, since I think the Kharn sculpt is ancient and not particularly cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.