Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For my birthday last year, my Dad made me a 6x4 foot gaming table. I already had a few bits and pieces of terrain, but decided that I should build a city or something. After thinking about for a while I decided the terrain should represent the edge of a city, so it's half urban and half jungle/desert. I just didn't know what it was going to look like.

About a month ago I watched the movie a bridge too far and was inspired to build a terrain collection which is based on fighting over a bridge. All the terrain needs to be easily transportable so everything is built on 400mm square and 400mmx200mm pieces.

Anyway that's enough talk, you probably want to see some pictures.

Here's an overhead shot of the river:

This was constructed by taking a 400mm square piece of 3mm MDF as the base. The river was then cut out with a jig saw and the edges hit with a router to give it the slope.

An overhead shot of one of the gun emplacements:

The gun emplacements were made in a similar fashion to the river except the edges were built up with horseshoe like bits so that they can offer cover to things likes tanks and defilers.

And the bridge:

Notice how the pylons are PVC tubing into which the bits of dowel on the bridge fit nicely. I made it like this so that if I play a mission in which the bridge can be blown up (To prevent the enemy getting into the city) it can easily be removed.

Here's a few overviews the first day:

The big piece of polystyrene foam is going to become a bunker, the spaceport thing is in the process of being chaosiffied and there's a few other things that are in varying stages of completion.

This took my Dad and I about a day. Luckily I didn't have to pay for any of the timber as Dad has an outdoor furniture business, so we have more timber than we need.

More pics very soon!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Stage 2

Stage 2 was basically painting the pieces I already had made up.

Brown for out of town (Dirt), grey for in town (Concrete), blue for the river (Water) and black for the bridge (Because I meant to paint the top black as it is a road, but got carried away and painted the whole thing).

In this shot you can see the section of river from the previous post:

The bits of PVC are drain pipes, you may have noticed the black 'cloud' flowing away from the drain, this is meant to suggest pollution and what not draining from the city.

Here's another photo of the river:

I included this photo because you can see how I taped newspaper onto the river itself, to facilitate the apllication of brown and grey spray paint without contamination of the waterways (Wow look at all those big words!).

The gun emplacement:

The spiky things are toothpicks, I just drilled holes in the timber and glued them in, you'll see what they're for in the next post.

Another shot of the gun emplacements:

Shown with Abaddon because he's a badass!

Stay tuned - more photos soon!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These are the last photos I have to add today. The work that was done in these photos took the longest as it is very small and fiddly.

At this stage I should probably mention that to create a water effect, I'm going to build layer upon layer of PVA glue, blue paint and PVA glue until it looks nice and deep. I've also scattered tiny bits of PVC from cutting the tubes to build a bit of depth and make it look like there's stuff floating in the water.

Gun emplacement:

A coating of sand has been applied to give the impression of an earthen wall.

Gun emplacement again:

Here you can see the razor wire that has been stretched between the toothpicks to repel infantry.

Another shot of the gun emplacement:

A daemon prince takes cover in a section of the gun emplacement where much of the razor wire has been obliterated by ordnance.

Another shot of the river:

Upon Dad's suggestion I put tape at either end of each river piece and nailed thin strips of timber over the top. This is so the PVA glue doesn't slope away at either end, it should look nice and consistent when finished.

Another shot of the river:

Here you can see the stone retaining wall that has been built along the banks to keep the savage river at bay. Although it's hard to tell, after the superglue dries on the rocks I filled in the gaps with PVA glue and coated everything in sand to give the retaining walls a more solid look.

A couple of shots across the river so you can see the trenches and the gun emplacements behind them:

The parapet at the front of the trench has been made with little bits of a mosaic tile.

A bird's eye view of what's been done so far:

As you can see all the boards are finished. Now I have to finish the retaining walls, build the rest of the bridge and highway and then build some buildings.

You've already seen the bunker and spaceport, there's also a few shots of some ruins floating around. I mounted this piece on some thick cardboard, which warped in the humidity. I'm going to rebase it on timber. I also want to build a three or four story ruined structure, I'll build this from scratch as I have a lot of material to build it out of.

The road is wide enough for two tanks to fit down. If two tanks were immobilised side by side on the bridge, infantry could still fit through, maybe bikes, but no more vehicles. I haven't decided how to build the road yet, I want to be able to include drains and footpaths so it will probably have to be nailed/glued to the top of the bases.

As for the bridge I'd like to build some sort of super structure, but am having second thoughts as a bridge that size in real life would probably just have some railings.

You may have noticed that this terrain has been built so that each player would deploy along the short table edges. This is for a special scenario I have in mind. It revolves around a city that has been held in siege for a very long time.

Anyway that's enough out of me, tell me what you think!

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
This looks really really nice, and it sounds like a nice thing as its a father-son project. Looking forward to seeing this painted up and more terrain added. I'm sure it will be an awesome feeling to play a game on this awesome terrain once it's complete.

Grish

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
looks like an awesome concept qotsa4life, i love that movie.

have you thought about adding some buildings (like 3 stories) behind the bunkers? that could be the beginning to the city

cant wait for more & + rep

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's been a lot of fun to put together. I had a game on the table against nids today. Should be some pictures up tomorrow.

@Fallen, yeah I'm planning to build some decent size building and put them where you suggested.

I plan to eventually have enough terrain of varying shapes and sizes so that I can play a rolling campaign. e.g. 1. A planet strike game on the outskirts of town. 2. The invaders establish a foothold and push through to the river (Regular 40k game). 3. There is a desperate battle across the river as the defenders attempt to blow up the bridge before invaders get across. 4. A cities of death game in which the invaders attempt to sieze control of a tractor beam/locator beacon to bring their spacehulk/reinforcements planetside.

I look forward to bringing another update soon.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As promised here are the photos from Friday’s game. It was 2000pts; we ended up rolling for Capture and Control - Dawn of War. I had my CSM army fighting against nids.

I basically deployed my troops in a spearhead fashion around the gun emplacements so I could shoot whatever came over the bridge. I had lots of heavy weapons and it was lots of fun shooting at/blowing up nids as they came across (Instakilled the Doom of Malantai with a lascannon too!).

Getting a little of topic there. I think that in future when I play on this terrain, their will have to be more than one bridge, so that an army who is CC oriented is not disadvantaged by the lay of the land. Also I have decided to build more river bases so that players can deploy along the long table edges. Deploying on the short edges was a good idea in my mind, but in reality it took too long for the armies to meet each other, again this is unfair on CC armies.

Anyhooo, here’s the pikkies:

This is turn two.

Shots from turn three.

A couple of photos of turn 5.

Sorry there hasn't been any progress on the terrain. I had been planning to do some today, but last night I stumbled across Svartmetal's Death Guard WIP and for some reason I've spent most of the day doing Nurgle type conversions with Green Stuff. Should be some more progress soon.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Sorry there hasn't been any progress on the terrain. I had been planning to do some today, but last night I stumbled across Svartmetal's Death Guard WIP and for some reason I've spent most of the day doing Nurgle type conversions with Green Stuff. Should be some more progress soon.
Its so easy to get distracted :)

Its looking good. I like the idea of a removable bridge if it gets destroyed. I may have to steal that idea.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Dude this looks very impressive. We will have to get together for a game. I have 8 cod buildings on 300x300 base boards and the 40k road mat sections. I rekon these would combine well. I have to admit having an ig gunline with the weapons sighted in on the bridge area could make for a difficult game also. I hope i get to see this in RL.
Repworthy
And bonus rep for getting the idea from one of the coolest movies of all time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
At long last, an update.

I've been pretty busy in the last week with starting a new semester at uni, but I've still managed to get some work done. I finished the rock wall that runs alongs the river banks, it took about six hours, but I think the end result is well worth the effort. All that remains on the river is to paint the stormwater drains, plant some reeds and other flora and build up the water effects a bit more. I'm thinking about having a couple of random body parts floating downstream too.

Photos:

When I first started building these walls I was laying each rock one at a time, with superglue. Dad suggested that I use wood glue and simply run a thick bead the full length of the wall and bed the rocks into that. I had considered it, but didn't think the wood glue would be strong enough to hold the rocks. Turns out I was wrong. The wood glue works just as well as superglue for this particular application, it roughly halved the time to build the rest of the walls and I didn't glue my fingers together anymore!

I basically laid the rocks one course at a time, starting at the bottom obviously. I'd let the bottom course dry over night, then put the top 2 or 3 courses on. The next day I would fill the biggest gaps in between the rocks with wood glue and then cover everything with sand. This was so that there weren't too many gaps and the wall looked fairly solid.

The next step will be painting the storm water drains and planting some reeds as I mentioned above.

While we're on the subject of plants I though I'd show my evil cacti. I got the idea for these from a White Dwarf magazine in the 90's (I can't believe I still remember this from school :shok:). Here's some wip shots:

As you can see in the top picture, I made this using polystyrene balls, sand, toothpicks, part of a 'For Sale' sign, some cardboard and some paint.

I'm not too happy with the way the base itself turned out, here's a photo to show you what I mean:

There is a visible ridge where the real estate sign ends and slopes down to the cardboard. This photo also shows where my fingers bent things out of shape. Luckily I was able to fix the worst of it like this:

The weights seemed to do the trick and pushed it back into shape. It didn't fix the ridge though. Apart from the ridge I think it looks pretty good. Here some more photos:

As you can see this terrain piece provides some decent cover, blocks line of sight and should break up the colours of the desert side of my board pretty well.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement.

@Humakt: Feel free to steal my idea! That's one of the reasons I made this log. The removable bridge could make or break one sides attempt to sieze some ground, unless they could fly or deepstrike.

@Shaantitus: Advancing across that bridge into an IG gunline would be a nightmare (Reminds me of a certain siege I read about on the weekend). I think it would be awesome to get together for a game some time. Maybe we could play some Imperial Armour scenarios, I discovered on the weekend that this table would be perfect for some of them.

Edit: I cropped one of the photos.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Those look like very scary pieces of scenary. I can see lots of spiked fingers and a large amount of swearing around that terrain piece :)

The river is looking really good. I like how you have done the storm drains.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Those look like very scary pieces of scenary. I can see lots of spiked fingers and a large amount of swearing around that terrain piece :)

The river is looking really good. I like how you have done the storm drains.
Khornate trees-BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

And yes we should get together sometime for a IA scenario game.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I do think that gunline armies on the entrenchments would be nasty. I do think that you need another bridge and make it so that they can't be destroyed to make it fair as the gunline could just wipe out the bridge on turn one and then just sit back and get bored. I played a game where the problem was caused by two pieces of terrain being too close together. 1st two monoliths were immobilised there and then a landraider attempting to go around got stuck in a crater:angry: the game pretty much ended there.:ireful2:

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I have since played on this table and it rocks. Even though i lost. With guard.(not good)
Played again. Lost again. although it was a difficult terrain test and variable game length that ended me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought I should post something in this log just to let everyone know I haven't given up on it. I've been back at uni for 9 weeks and it's been hard to find time to work on this project. Uni finishes in November, so there may be no progress until then. Thanks again for the kind words and rep.

Happy wargaming!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts