Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new GW paints - whats the deal? Am I missing something?

For years I have used Vallejo paints from my Flames of Wars days. I was lucky enough to write for Battlefront for a while and they kindly provided a lot of Vallejo paints and I have slowly amassed a large collection since.

Recently, I have purchased a number of the new GW paints - a mixture of base, layer and washes (the washes are immense, really really loving them) but I have had major issues with coverage. I have tried thinning, using 3-4 layers, but the results are patchy, uneven and with a somewhat rough, almost starchy surface.

Tonight I have been painting using Vallejo again and the differences are easy to see, a normal smooth even finish.

The weird thing was, I have been using a pale blue and needed a slightly pinkier colour (Daemonette claws) So I added a drop of Mephiston Red.....and the crappy coverage was back. Blotchy, poor application, I had to undercoat the area again and go back with Vallejo only.

Bottom line - am I doing something stupidly wrong here? :(

·
Drinker of tea...
2,277 Posts
Hmm, not had a problem. The layer paints do take a few layers to get a decent, even coverage, but the base paints and washes are immense.

On a similar note, just brought some army painter paints. The paints themselves are great but the washes are shite.

Rev

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I'm not too impressed with new GW paints either to be honest, the layer paints are far from great from my experience, I much preferred the old range. The new metallics are shockingly bad, its like they're made of gel or something, a nightmare to thin and patchy as hell.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I have never had issues with GW paints.

It might be worth taking them to your local GW to show them the problem; if it is a bad batch then you should get a replacements.
I echo this, I had major issues with Abaddon Black, took it into the store and they gave me a new pot which seemed to fix the problem. Its not as nice as the old Chaos Black but it was better than the dross I had before.

I also miss the old paints.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Not had a drama and I really like the new paints, but I do agree the metallics are not all that great.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
I echo this, I had major issues with Abaddon Black, took it into the store and they gave me a new pot which seemed to fix the problem. Its not as nice as the old Chaos Black but it was better than the dross I had before.

I also miss the old paints.
Yup, the Abaddon Black I have is utter piss water.... :(

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
I like the new Black. It isn't a "blot out" as it used to be and you can get some nice highlighting with it.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
The new washes seem to be much more 'potent', takes less to do more. I like the glazes, they be sexy for us that have layering issues.

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
Any Chaos black i brought were shocking, watery as hell, didnt paint properly (like painting water ontop of oil) and just generally shite, took it back 2 times and 3rd was the same, ended up thinning it with some matte medium and used it as a crude wash for bases etc.

i too have gone for vallejo paints rather than the new gw ones, cheaper, great coverage and ive noticed that the paint stays on metal models much better.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Well i havn't had any of the proablems or might have and just didnt matter due to my painting style. Im finding the paints to be good watery compaired to others but thats how they are ment to be

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I love the new base paints, glazes and washes, and some of the layers are no different, but the metals are pretty crap, however once when I was trying to use leadbelcher in the spray gun and mixed it with most of a pot of lahmian medium. After a lot of swearing I gave up and put it back in the pot, and actually all the problems I had before had gone, so I think it s just a matter of using a thinning medium for them instead of water, but yes I do miss the old range

1 - 13 of 13 Posts