Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm playing a 2k game vs Nid tomorrow and thought I'd share what I'm thinking of running.

DP w/ Wings, Lash, MoS

20x CSM w/ Champ, PF, 2x Melta

8x Havocs w/ 4x ML

8x Havocs w/ 4x ML
------------------------
1995 points
97 models

This is not a competitive game so I thought it'd be fun to outnumber him for once. My thoughts are that with 8 ML, 8 Meltas and 4 PF I should be more then able to deal with his MCs. The Prince is there to generally annoy and to provide some counter charge to deal with his Lash Whip wielding units.

My game plan is pretty simple. I'm going to deploy as many units as far forward on the board at maximum coherency as I can and then I'll march toward him. The havocs will sit at the back and shoot at things...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
looks like fun, maybe drop a csm squad and exchange it for a smaller squad of zerkers just for a token squad of psychotic running assaulty marines to give you a little punch in combat

·
Registered
670 Posts
Take another daemon prince so you've got support for that one or else it's a easy target. You also haven't got much to take advantage of lash besides 4 missile launchers.

Taking mass marines is pretty cool. But what isn't cool is giving them meltaguns and power fists so they need to keep running to get into range; this puts you into close combat with tyranids, bad idea. Get plasma guns so you can hang back and shoot. However I'd still take 10 CSM with rhinos as nids still aren't brilliant at smacking armour, plus will keep your marines out of combat better. Take two specials per squad and havoc launcher for those hordes of bugs.

Havocs = obliterators enough said! lol.

I hope that helps, but against nids you've got numbers but then again so have they. You need to get into range to use your weapons which makes the nids players job of assaulting you even easier.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
he's right.

i think perhaps a Chosen in a rhinoe squad with flamers and plasma might work, or just Infiltrate them in so you can have a mid range shooty unit for your opponent to worry about.

good hunting.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts

8x Havocs w/ 4x ML

8x Havocs w/ 4x ML
Well, seeing that this isn't meant to be a competitive game then this list could very easily do what you want it to do. My worry however, is that the Tyranid army excels at gobbling up infantry units, even ones as tough as Chaos Space Marines. I think one way to stop this from happening would be to take, say, six squads of 10 Chaos Marines with the Champ, fist and double melta and field them in Rhinos. Rhinos are cheap as heck, and you'd still have lots of leftover points to do whatever you wanted with afterward.

Since it's a friendly game, loading up on havoc missile launchers or what have you to blow the crap out of his infantry probably wouldn't be the nicest thing to do, so maybe take some Chosen or Terminators or something to fill in the point gap.

·
Registered
320 Posts
looks pretty cool. it might be a bit of an uphill fight against nids but maybe you can add flamers against those bugs. it would help alot especially if he has some venomthropes

·
Registered
853 Posts
Take a squad of 5 Havocs with 4 flamers in a rhino, you can do that with chosen (or possed, the cheaper ones). Consider taking a Greater Demon for a lot cheaper then his MC's will cost and will be just as killy. Take more flamers, 'nids hate flamers. New 'nids are a lot more swarmy now then in the past. I agree that 6 squads of 10 with Champ, PH, melta and flamer would be more effective and versitile. Like the Havocs with MLs.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:) I won. throwing 38 shots at 12" four times a turn will eat about anything that isn't T6+.

It was actually a pretty close game. the only reason I won was that twice I was able to charge a monstrous creature and a squad (or two in one case) and kill the MC due to fearless wounds from wiping the squad. Once he actually hit my troops with his big guys I lost about 75% of my army in two turns. Thankfully, I had already killed his troops and was able to keep him from tying.

Lots of fun :) I might try some of your suggestions and run this again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts