Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
So the Great Rift is also known as the Crimson Path. Abbadon's very plan to extend the Eye of Terror with a spear of unreality all the way to Terra. But something must have gone amiss as the aim was way off the mark. Perhaps the dark gods intervened and thought merely cleaving the Imperium in twain would be more lulzworthy and emotiongiving than going directly for Abby's endgame at Terra. Could be seen as a bit of a snub to him too, because he refuses to bend knees to them.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Battle-forged armies will be familiar to Warhammer 40,000 players today – it basically means that all the models in your army are part of a Detachment or Formation.

That is still largely true in the new Warhammer 40,000, but with a few changes.

The biggest of which is… wait for it…<puff of smoke>

Formations are gone.

That’s right, no more Formations. But don’t panic!

If your army is built using Formations right now, you’re going to be fine. In their place are a dozen new game-wide Detachments that are available to all factions. These are flexible enough that all of your current forces can be fit into them to form a Battle-forged army. The advantage of these is that all factions now have an even playing field of list building mechanics, rather than some having loads and some having to stick with the trusty Combined Arms option for every game.

These detachments are made up of a combination of 9 unit types, which will look very familiar to anyone who has played Warhammer 40,000 in the past two decades. Some you’ll recognise from Space Marines company markings and the classic Combined Arms detachment of today, plus Lords of War, Fortifications and the new one – Flyers, now with their own slot.

These Detachments come with a few benefits and restrictions. The most common restriction is that all units in a single Detachment must share a faction keyword (Tyranid, Blood Angels or Imperium for example). The most common bonus is that, depending on how optimised your army is for the logistics of war, you’ll get Command Points to spend. We’ll cover exactly what these can do for you soon, but trust us when we say they are incredibly useful if used wisely, and you generally get more of them if your army is a well rounded and balanced force.

Here are a few examples:

These are just a taste of the options available.

Battle-forged armies can be used with or without points, and we fully expect gamers playing matched or narrative play games to use these in most situations as they tend to create effective armies on the tabletop that also fit the background and lore of the setting. Matched play actually has a few extra rules too, designed for competitive events, which organisers can choose to use when setting the rules for Battle-forged armies – limits on the number of separate Detachments is one example.

We’ll be back again tomorrow with more news from the new Warhammer 40,000.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Moving fliers out of FA/HS will help some with the bloat of those for many factions

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Moving fliers out of FA/HS will help some with the bloat of those for many factions
All factions had access to Flyer Formations and the ability to take Air Superiority Detachments/Flyer squadrons, no? I can't really think of an army that suffered 'bloat' from having Flyers as a HS/FA selection.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The local group never bothered with the formations and what not. I was under the impression they required multiple flyers

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
The local group never bothered with the formations and what not. I was under the impression they required multiple flyers

they do, guard formation for fliers requires at least 3 but if you want a competetive army with formations you need at least 2 different non flyer guard formations wich will probably end up near the 700 to 900 points each. so for the average game adding flyers will be a tight fit.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Yah we mainly play 1850 PTS here and only a few even bother with flyers. Might change with 8th though

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I am really failing to see how Codices with Flyers as FA/HS slots count as 'bloat' when you're only looking to add one to a list, but hey. What can you do.

Hopefully the new edition helps your list building process and gets the models you like on the table effectively :eek:k:

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
@ntaw, the problem is that competition for FA/HS slots is very heavy in some armies. Take my Sisters of Battle, Seraphim and Dominions both are some of my most effective units, so that's the 3 FA slots pretty much always spoken for and the Sisters don't exactly have a lot of Formations to fall back on outside the CAD to free some.

For such situations, trying to fit a Flier in the same slot gets painful quick even if you've got the points for it.

Anyway... I'm GLAD to see the back of Formations. All of them. Good riddance.

Quite frankly, handing out free benefits without an associated points cost - and a great many of the Formations were indeed quite a bit better for the units involved than the standard CAD - is a horrible idea for game balance.

I can only hope new army books won't have army-specific detachments in them.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Tyranids had fuck all in the way of formations. I foresee that Brigade Detachment being a popular choice.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
@ntaw , the problem is that competition for FA/HS slots is very heavy in some armies. Take my Sisters of Battle, Seraphim and Dominions both are some of my most effective units, so that's the 3 FA slots pretty much always spoken for and the Sisters don't exactly have a lot of Formations to fall back on outside the CAD to free some.

For such situations, trying to fit a Flier in the same slot gets painful quick even if you've got the points for it.
:laugh: I get you on there being too many options in a FoC slot, the BA Codex is a gong show for that. If the utility of the Flyer works better in your list it's the optimal choice though, you're still going to face the same decisions with the points you spend in your army when they exist in a Flyer FoC slot. Whether they are Heavy Support, Fast Attack, or Flyer selections they'll still be just as hard to fit in if the points and circumstance say otherwise. Not to mention the in-game mechanics! Goodness. Some people were very picky about certain things with Flyers in 7th. Onward and upward in 8th with all luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Does the big detachment speak across the board puts discounts? As a blood angels player filling up all those slots would be pretty hard to do at 1850 or thereabouts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
No I don't think that because of there being the huge FOC charts being available means a general points decrease. It is probably designed so that people can scale up in games, or army size, with goals.

AKA the bigger you go the larger game your playing so from ranging from 1k to apoc.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Does the big detachment speak across the board puts discounts? As a blood angels player filling up all those slots would be pretty hard to do at 1850 or thereabouts
This is honestly one of the best sentences I've read on the internet to date. I think GW have stated that 'free' stuff is out the window but I don't have anything but a hazy memory of Fb posts sifted for their responses to go on, so take that for whatever it's worth.

As @Fallen pointed out, the different detachments will likely be more pointed toward point ranges. Maybe the Patrol Detachment is good for 500-1250, the Battalion 1250-2k, and the Brigade 2k+? Ultimately we know nothing about how these Detachments work together, what point value anything is any more, or specifically what Command Points are and how they're spent (we've only heard them mentioned in passing but they seem pretty powerful given the right employ).

As a fellow BA player I'm very interested to see whether the FoC designations of 8th stay with the 7th edition spots or switches some things back to their 5th edition placing. The WC site is through the phases of the game and done 2/6 Warzones (assuming there will be profiles for only the 6 showcased on the 40k site) so Faction spotlights will come soon enough hopefully. Somehow I feel like we may just be waiting for release to find out such specific answers though :/

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Today we take a look at the biggest models in the game, and how they’re going to work in the new edition.

There are a few big changes here, though we covered some of them a little when we looked at profiles. Like the three units we’ve seen already, every model will be using the same profile system, so everything will have Wounds, Toughness, Strength, etc… This includes all vehicles.

We’ve also gotten rid of specific rules for Gargantuan Creatures and Super-heavy vehicles. Instead, these units will have a suitably impressive statline, but still play by the same rules as everyone else. This also means that those units that previously sat just shy of Super-heavy status, and missed out on bunch of special rules because of it, will now be appropriately killy and durable.

You’ll soon see that some of Warhammer 40,000’s biggest hitters have A LOT of Wounds, high Toughness and a good save. The biggest Tyranid monsters now have over a dozen wounds, where Imperial Knights have over 20!

This makes them almost infinitely survivable against small arms fire, but means that high-power weapons that can take chunks of wounds off at a time (lascannons, powerfists, battle cannons, etc) can take them down relatively quickly when brought to bear in force. Gone are the days of a lucky first-turn meltagun blowing up your Land Raider. (A squad of them will still ruin its day though…)

There are almost no weapons in the game now that can instantly kill these big guys, so there will be no shortcuts to dealing with them – you have to get your hands dirty and take those Wounds off.

This can make big models very powerful, but there is a counter mechanic in the rules. As these large, powerful models take damage, their combat effectiveness starts to degrade. The best way to show you this is with an example.

Here we have a Mork(or possibly Gork)anaut (as requested by Stacy from our Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page):

Whoa, so – with 18 Wounds at Toughness 8, this guy is a tough cookie to crack – able to wade through bolter fire untroubled and requiring a lot of heavy weapons shots to take down.

You can see, though, as it gets to the point of only having half its Wounds left, this walker starts to get less effective – it will move slower and its attacks will get more clumsy as servos are fused, and sensor arrays fail to register.

At 4 Wounds left, it’s all but crippled, though its shooting output will be undiminished – so it starts as a combat wrecking ball at the beginning of the battle, crashing through enemy lines, and ends up as more of a semi-mobile shooting fortress at the end of its life.

Different vehicles will be reduced in effectiveness in different ways too – some will get worse at shooting, some will slow down, and some some will become less effective in melee.

So, the big stuff sounds pretty scary!

We’ll be back tomorrow with some good news for the little guys, when we look at how infantry work, and how combined firepower can be used to topple even the mightiest foes.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Going to have to start building wound counters of some sort into all my bases....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
161 - 180 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.