Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Theory: Rather than an improvement on the normal Space Marines, the Mechanicus has (re)discovered a way to restore the purity of geneseed, making a 10 thousand year stock of not-quite-good-enough suddenly very viable again.

Against this theory is that we're talking about GW and it'd effectively mostly benefit those loyal legion lines that aren't Ultramarines...

Reactions: Fallen

·
Closet Dictator
3,425 Posts
The Thunder warriors were bigger and stronger than astartes but burnt out and died quickly, maybe somebody found a way to splice them and regular marines together. Or could just be more age of sigmarfication of 40k with uber marines being the storm cast equivalent

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
The Thunder warriors were bigger and stronger than astartes but burnt out and died quickly, maybe somebody found a way to splice them and regular marines together. Or could just be more age of sigmarfication of 40k with uber marines being the storm cast equivalent
The Age of Guillimarines. I like the sound of that. :wink2:

Reactions: Old Man78

·
Registered
455 Posts
Against this theory is that we're talking about GW and it'd effectively mostly benefit those loyal legion lines that aren't Ultramarines...
Curing the Blood Angel ailments would be good.
Perhaps they could also genetically modify the White Scars so that GW actually writes about them once in a blue moon.

·
Registered
321 Posts
˛˘@@&}đłđ

Or could just be more age of sigmarfication of 40k with uber marines being the storm cast equivalent
˄This. Cadia falls (End Times). Lost primarch rises (Sigmar). New army of supermarines is raised (Stormcasts). Crusade in the name of the Emperor begins (Age of Sigmar). I just hope that further books and novels will be good.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
˄This. Cadia falls (End Times). Lost primarch rises (Sigmar). New army of supermarines is raised (Stormcasts). Crusade in the name of the Emperor begins (Age of Sigmar). I just hope that further books and novels will be good.
Yes. a bad fluff spin to justify another money grab forcing (in long term) all SM players to rebuy their models in order to field Super-Space Marines aka StormCasts. Sorry about the negativity :laugh2:
The pistol stuff is cool. i just assume you will not get an extra attack in melee by pairing it with a ccw.
All in all i'm changing my mind towards a cautious acceptation of the new system. Not the fluff and the new units...but the rules might be functional into quickening the game. (as now, time issues are my group worst concern)

Reactions: gen.ahab

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yes. a bad fluff spin to justify another money grab forcing (in long term) all SM players to rebuy their models in order to field Super-Space Marines aka StormCasts. Sorry about the negativity :laugh2:
Exactly. New tactical supermarines have already bigger bolters so sooner or later they will need to get bigger equipment for other units (devs, assault, terminators). And people will buy it and they will be set for decades.

Regarding the starter set, rumours on SM part are this - Captain, Librarian, Tactical, Assault and Devs. Seems pretty weak without vehicles (they have not been rescaled yet?). So I've been wondering, will all those marines will rescaled in starter set or only tactical squad ?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
We’ve heard about movement, psychic powers, and shooting. Today we look at the Charge phase.

Charging in Warhammer 40,000 is how you get your units into close combat to use all those awesome looking exotic combat weapons to hack, slash and otherwise obliterate enemy units.

The basic mechanics of this phase are very similar to how they work now. You can select any unit within 12″ as the target of your charge, and your units will move towards them 2D6″.

Enemy units still have a chance to hit the charging unit with overwatch, provided that they are not already in combat. Just as in the current edition, overwatch is a hit on a flat 6 – all pretty familiar so far.

In the current Warhammer 40,000, you need to reach base contact. In the new edition, though, you only need to come within 1″ of an enemy, which in practice means that compared to the current charge range, you get an extra inch.

You also can’t move within 1″ of an enemy you didn’t declare as the target of your charge, so if you want to engage multiple units, you’ll need to brave the overwatch fire of all of them. Overwatch can also be fired multiple times per phase, but as soon as the unit is engaged, they will no longer be able to fire back.

So, the Charge phase keeps most of its current mechanics, with only minor amends.

Tomorrow, we’ll check in on the Fight phase, where we look at the bloody melee in the 41st Millennium.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Exactly. New tactical supermarines have already bigger bolters so sooner or later they will need to get bigger equipment for other units (devs, assault, terminators). And people will buy it and they will be set for decades.

Regarding the starter set, rumours on SM part are this - Captain, Librarian, Tactical, Assault and Devs. Seems pretty weak without vehicles (they have not been rescaled yet?). So I've been wondering, will all those marines will rescaled in starter set or only tactical squad ?

if they are going to rescale all tanks, I am going to trow my leman russes trough the LFG store window

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
The pistol stuff is cool. i just assume you will not get an extra attack in melee by pairing it with a ccw.
All in all i'm changing my mind towards a cautious acceptation of the new system. Not the fluff and the new units...but the rules might be functional into quickening the game. (as now, time issues are my group worst concern)
I'd say it could be that or we could just be seeing new elites. However, I would wager this is the more likely possibility, considering GW is in the business of making money. Now, I don't have a problem with that; that's their job. But if this is the case, the whole, "nah, we won't invalidate your minis," thing was slightly chicken shit, and that I do have a small problem with.

It somewhat begs the question, though: if these will eventually replace the SM range, how will they handle chapter specific ranges?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reactions: neferhet

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I think they would just make it a new unit available to all honestly. I don't see them discontinuing the older lines when they can sell both.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Wait, you mean that I might actually have a good GW base model to make Obliterators out of now?

*Is very much aware of the Hi-Tech Miniatures*

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
To be fair, GW has kept the entire SM range the size it is mostly so the parts remained interchangeable. They've needed a size upgrade for a while given pretty much every OTHER new release. This wouldn't be too bad a way to start phasing the old models out.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not to mention the big introduction of plastic 30k minis. I don't see them having the 30k minis one scale, and the 40k minis a different scale. We saw a larger set of minis in AoS (Blight Kings, the Khorne elites, etc.) But a lot of the normal troops (The Kairic Acolytes and Khorne equivalent) are the same scale as Chaos Cultists.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If they will be parallel line (base tactical box with future upgrade sets for assault and heavy weapons, new special vehicles, characters etc.) then I am ok with it. Sort of.

From fluff perspective they won't be sub-faction so how they will be incorporated to existing chapters? Will they replace company captains and chapter masters as they will be superior to them in every way? Will all codex and non-codex chapters have them ?
If they would be just small elite addition because of production cost, then it would be ok. But it they want to bring back entire chapters this might not be the case then.

I think that sooner or later old models will be replaced completely. Slow version of soon-to-be End Times is coming

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Posted 02/05/2017

New Warhammer 40,000 – Fight Phase

Let’s get down to the best phase – combat (unless you’re a Fire Warrior…sorry).

This is part of the new Warhammer 40,000 with some of the biggest changes. We’ve already seen in our article on unit profiles that Initiative has gone. Instead, the priority for striking is based on the previous phase, with those units that completed a charge swinging first.

There’s a definite emphasis on making charging into combat effective – these units have gotten all the way across the battlefield, they’ve braved enemy fire and overwatch, and now they’ve finally made it into combat – they will at the very least get to swing.

Units that activate gain a free 3″ move towards the closest enemy. This can be used to get within 1″ of other enemy units, if you’re cunning, dragging more foes into the melee and preventing them from shooting next turn, even if you didn’t charge them directly (giving them no chance to overwatch). Enemy gun lines will need to be careful about how they position their supporting units, so as to avoid getting dragged into the fight too.

Following chargers, players take it in turns to activate units across the board to fight – this can get quite tactical, as both players need to choose the combats where dealing maximum damage will be important to them, while trying to limit enemy retaliation on their valuable or fragile models.

There are a few units that can interrupt this sequence to attack out of turn too – Tyranids with lash whips and Slaaneshi Daemons, for example – and it can also be influenced by Stratagems (more on these soon) if your army is Battle-forged, all of which add a nuanced level of tactical depth to the phase.

Players will have much more influence over the outcome of combat now, rather than purely the stats of the models involved, both in their own and in the opponent’s turns (though we still wouldn’t expect Guardsmen to triumph over a unit of Khorne Berzerkers any time soon – fix bayonets!).

Another thing we have seen is that hit rolls are now fixed. This has the effect of making dedicated combat units generally hit on a 3+, while models representing the most competent warriors of the 41st Millennium (Guilliman, the Swarmlord, Ghazghkull Thraka, to name but a few) will now hit on 2+!

Close combat weapons (which we’ll look at in more detail in future) also gain new rules – some will slice through armour easily, while others will hit with enough force to cause deal multiple wounds that can cripple or kill even powerful enemy models.

Across the board, these changes lead to combats that are more deadly than ever. Generals who successfully coordinate a battlefield-wide charge will be rewarded with a phase of utter carnage, while their opponent will have to work hard to minimise taking damage, and carefully consider their retaliatory options.

Expect combats to be hard-fought, bloody, and tactical – just as they should be.

We’ll be back tomorrow with some new details on morale – and after we’ve seen the damage that shooting, psychic powers and combat can do – can you blame anyone for running away?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
They've explained the order units fight in quite well, I think. People who charged that turn go first, then players take turns nominating units to activate because Age of Guilliman needs to be more like Age of Sigmar (the only difference appears to be that making the charge gives you the additional bonus of swinging first - the +1 attack for charging of the current edition is probably gone).

To hit is on the unit profile, to Wound is still Strength vs. Toughness...

Specifics on Wound allocation weren't in shooting either so we'll presumably still get that later. What happens when a single attack causes more wounds than can be found on a single model (eg. Meltagun shot at a Guardsman) is a pretty vital bit of missing knowledge - will it still kill just the one model or will it wipe the entire unit?

121 - 140 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.