Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/25/warhammer-40000-unit-profiles/

Warhammer 40,000: Unit Profiles

Today is a big one guys – we’re talking about how profiles are going to work in the new edition.
The profiles for the current version of the game have been a part of Warhammer 40,000 for over a decade now, and for the most part they worked pretty well, though there were always a few anomalies or things that didn’t work quite as you’d expect.
In the new edition, the rules team were keen to have the profile work harder – to better distinguish between the different units so that, for example, Eldar will run faster than Guardsmen, and Hormagaunts run faster than both.

One big change is vehicles. These now use the same profile system as everyone else. As you’ll see though, their stat lines are much above what you might expect from a standard infantry trooper. Wounds, for example, are not capped at 10, so don’t be surprised if you see larger vehicles like Land Raiders and Imperial Knights with dozens of wounds.
This means that there is no differentiation between monsters and vehicles, so you now have a standard system to compare between, for example, a Carnifex vs a Dreadnought. Speaking of Carnifexes, large monsters like them also have a lot more wounds now. There are also no Super Heavy Vehicle rules, as such. With the stats going above 10, the system is now an increasing scale, which means models that previously fell just shy of super-heavy status, the Gorkanaut for example, can now punch at the appropriate weight, and become much more survivable.
So, without further ado – let’s look at some stats!
Here, we have 4 examples from the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 army – the Space Marines.
You’ll see that the stats are still recognisably Warhammer 40,000, but with just a few changes. We’ve gained a Movement stat in exchange for a Initiative stat. With charging units now striking first, movement and co-ordination of your assault army becomes a big factor. You can also see that WS and BS are now standard rolls (Ballistic Skill sort of always was), though you can expect modifiers to both of these stats from in-game effects.
Strength and Toughness are still with us, and still use an opposing value principle (so much higher Strength will still wound on 2+, low Strength will wound on a 6+), and these aren’t capped at 10 any more either. Wounds is a big one. Expect a lot of models to get more of these. As you can see here, the Terminator has twice what he has now, and Guilliman has more too.

Don’t worry though – stuff still dies quickly, with powerful weapons dishing out multiple damage with each hit – but you will, as always, need to shoot the right gun at the right target to get the best effects.
So there you have it guys.
Lots of new stuff in there.
Take a day to digest all that, and we’ll be back tomorrow with some info on the weapon stat lines you’ll be using in the new edition.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I like how this looks. Straight forward to understand and you only have to consult one other chart, (to wound).
Now, I want to see the Knight stat line.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I might actually field vehicles and walkers again with these changes.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Initiative value is gone. It's all well and good to say charging units strike first, but what about subsequent rounds of combat? Makes me wonder if being locked in combat will be a thing anymore, or if it's gonna be a case of owning player dictates charges each round.

·
Closet Dictator
3,418 Posts
I'm wondering how the lack of templates will work, especially I cases of partially obscured units or shielded units like knight's. L 7 for marines is a bit poo.

Like everything else I'll have to wait to see the whole thing before I claim to rage quit and run out and buy a heap of new minis and cry myself to sleep in a fit of self loathing

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I'd like to see a more in depth explanation behind the removal of initiative besides, "we done chucked in something else."

L 7 for marines is a bit poo. Like everything else I'll have to wait to see the whole thing before I claim to rage quit and run out and buy a heap of new minis and cry myself to sleep in a fit of self loathing
If that thing about crumbling is right, models are going to be dropping like fudging flies.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hrmm. We really need those weapon statlines, because we've already been teased with save modifiers... and if something like a Bolter makes an armour save just one point worse that Terminator is still going to die a lot quicker than he does now, two wounds or not.

Movement, they're already taking advantage of it being back by varying speeds a bit in the army, which is nice to see.

WS and BS translations seem straightforward, it's pretty much the old BS table but without having to mentally do BS-to-dice-roll.

Strength looks the same as always, Toughness OTOH... While it looks the same for the models that already had that value, I think the Dread just got a lot more vulnerable to small arms (especially if they come with a save modifier). Still, Toughness 7 is nothing to sneeze at, especially with 8 wounds backing it up. Will note that unless there's a modifier for getting shot in the back vehicle facing went the way of the dodo, and vehicle maneuvering will take less thinking and have a vastly lowered skill cap.

Attacks look unchanged, though as @Serpion5 noted I being gone might mean no more locked in combat. That would make it impossible to keep horribly dangerous shooty units (hi there Tau, Imperial Knight!) from shooting, which would make those easier to use and again lower the skill cap considerably.

Leadership obviously functions differently, so going to ignore it for now.

EDIT: As per Adepticon, Leadership now has you roll 1D6 and add the number of casualties you have taken this turn. If that value is greater than your Leadership, you take wounds equal to the difference. Seems easy enough at something like the end of a CC phase, but I don't know what else will get it triggered, or whether Guilliman's 10 Ld can be used (can he join the Tactical squad now? Can any character join ANY unit? Too much info missing).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
i do seriously hope Movement is also comprisng "speed" and thus is a sobstitute for the now missing Initiative.
I'll love to kill vehicles with small arms fire. And i'll love to have my daemon prince of khorne be hit in melee at 3+ by everything in a marine army.
let's see where it goes. (probably switzerland, to be euthanized)

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
The thing that you panicky folks need to keep in mind is that these guys have been building this system based on gamer feedback for some time now and have been testing things as they go. I have no doubt that the meta will change quite drastically because of this, but that is no reason for anyone to ragequit.

It will simply be a case of learning new tricks, finding new list builds to run and figuring out the new mechanics to get a feel for how new games will flow. Crying over something like "Oh small arms fire can kill my tanks now" just seems like whining, but then again I'm a tyranid player, so small arms fire has ALWAYS been able to kill my tanks... :(

So suck it up, losers. :taunt:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
The thing that you panicky folks need to keep in mind is that these guys have been building this system based on gamer feedback for some time now and have been testing things as they go.

Yes...well..this actually scares me. The loudest minority will be heard. The game will be a clone of age of sigmar with ideas coming from internet guys. Cool. Are you not scared? The same thing happened for D&D 5.0 (in a more organized fashion and with a greater intent though) and the result is honestly...well...not bad, but nothing to cheer about. Listening to the web guys is good...to a certain degree. GW stopped working and started feeding us our own ideas. Which is terrible, imo. 'cause our ideas sucks, mostly.

Crying over something like "Oh small arms fire can kill my tanks now" just seems like whining, but then again I'm a tyranid player, so small arms fire has ALWAYS been able to kill my tanks... :(

So suck it up, losers. :taunt:

Sucks to be Tyranid!! :laugh: i can't agree. as always before, to cure a scratch, they cause a wound. AV was a nice mechanic to keep vehicles above infantry. You needed special weapons to kill them. The problem was not AV system: it was the power creep and the proliferation of str 6+ basic weapons along the codices.
So no. They simply changed problem. before it was: "my tanks can be oneshotted", now it will be "your bolters blew my tank"... same old shit.

Plus, i hate fixed to hit in melee. this is an issue in AoS, to me. It just penalize elite armies (unless they are uber power and costly centerpieces models...) and favors spamming hordes of shitty models. Wich is good, to acertain degree.

We will see. In any case, i'll never ragequit. 3rd edition BRB are still floating around the net :wink:

Reactions: gen.ahab

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
From the link: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/26/warhammer-40000-weapons/

Yesterday we took a look at the profiles of units in the new Warhammer 40,000. But that is, of course, only half the story. The other half is the weapons they wield. Like units, these have had some pretty big changes, but are still recognisably the weapons you know and love.
Let’s take a look at three classic examples: the iconic boltgun, flamer and lascannon:

Damage is a big change. This stats effectively lets a single hit deliver multiple wounds to one model. So, as we can see, the bolter does a single would per hit, and so is optimised for shooting models that have a single wound themselves, whereas the lascannon, one of the most powerful man-portable weapons in the game, kicks out D6 damage, allowing it to blast chunks off large vehicles and monsters and kill light vehicles and characters in a single hit. Against something like Guardsmen or Orks though, this formidable damage output will be wasted.

The AP system is changing too. Rather than a binary yes/no on saves, the new Warhammer 40,000 uses modifiers – the lascannon will punch easily through power armour, while the bolter and flamer are, again, best deployed against less durable, more numerous targets.
Lastly, you can see that the flamer no longer uses a template. However, when in range, it causes D6 hits that do not have to roll to hit, and this applies even against units of a single model – this can be devastating, especially when used in large numbers <cough-Burna-Boyz-cough>, trust us when we say we may be entering the age of the flamer as the go-to special weapon of infantry squads the galaxy over – let the galaxy burn!

The rules team behind the new game have taken the opportunity to rebalance a lot of the weapons in the game, and with the new armour modifier system and removal of the cap of 10 on Strength values, we’ve made sure that every weapon has its use on the battlefields of the 41st Millennium. D weapons, for example, are gone, and instead there is a scalable Strength and damage that matches the effectiveness you’d expect from every weapon.
So there you go.
We’ll be back tomorrow when we look at movement.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Sounds like it's a good thing I modeled all of my Space Wolves during 5th edition.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Closet Dictator
3,418 Posts
Really like the multiple damage put out by heavy weapons, it makes sense, however looking at flamers the damage output makes no sense, imagine landing a 10 man assault squad with 2 flamers in front of someone and rolling snake eyes, I think retaining the template would have made far more sense. As for taking wounds off tanks and monstrous creatures, will they lose capability as they lose wounds, I hope so.

So far I'm not panicking, but I'm beginning to fear this edition could be more dumbed down than stream lined

·
Registered
633 Posts
Really like the multiple damage put out by heavy weapons, it makes sense, however looking at flamers the damage output makes no sense, imagine landing a 10 man assault squad with 2 flamers in front of someone and rolling snake eyes, I think retaining the template would have made far more sense. As for taking wounds off tanks and monstrous creatures, will they lose capability as they lose wounds, I hope so.

So far I'm not panicking, but I'm beginning to fear this edition could be more dumbed down than stream lined
They've said monstrous creatures/vehicles will lose capacity as they suffer more and more damage. Like in Age of Sigmar rules. As for the flamer doing d6 within 8" seems pretty powerful but it doesn't reduce saves. So I'm looking forward to seeing the save values for the big stuff. Though on a thematic point, filling a tank with burning promethium seems a good way to keep it from being effective.
Also, Salamanders are looking more effective, in theory, at the moment.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Agreed with @Old Man78 regarding templates. I could have supported a random dice roll for Blast weapons, as scatter was unreliable as it was even if it eliminated the (occasionally AWESOME) possibility of hitting something else entirely. The Template though... that's skill. Not so much in placement, but in maneuvering to get those many hits - even if you were still rolling to wound the lack of chance gave you a weapon you could actually RELY on working. So that's a definite on the skill cap getting lowered some for this edition, though the skill decreases noted in my previous notes still have the option of not being there.

The good news, they've kept the AP modifiers in check. With anti-infantry weapons (even the bolter) being AP 0, that's good news for Guardsmen, and even more for Orks and Dark Eldar throughout the galaxy. Their players might actually get to roll some saves now - with the average infantry weapon being S4 AP5 and even the humble Lasgun sporting an AP6 they were effectively coming to battle naked.

Reactions: Old Man78
61 - 80 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.