Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
It's a shame if they go, positioning a template to maximum coverage of your target, to then watch it deviate to nothing is an iconic piece of 40k to me. But there'll still be used to play shadow war Armageddon in my neck of the woods.
As long as I can use my models and throw down some jive and dice it's all good 😊

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
It's a shame if they go, positioning a template to maximum coverage of your target, to then watch it deviate to nothing is an iconic piece of 40k to me. But there'll still be used to play shadow war Armageddon in my neck of the woods.
As long as I can use my models and throw down some jive and dice it's all good 😊
or having it deviate to your own unit as you figured the risk of a close up shot with a large blast was a good idea :p

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Well, if I was afraid of spending money I wouldn't have stuck with the hobby.

As for the new rules... Well I'm gonna reserve judgement on them until I've played the game with them. People have bitched about every edition of the game since I entered the hobby back during 4th, and personally I've found 7th to be the best version since then.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
No Facebook here, but I'll keep an ear on the stream and try to summarize the answers for people.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
[email protected]#$%# well, the assholes are ONLY streaming on Facebook rather than on Twitch, so I get a Facebook login prompt after 5 seconds and it stops the stream 10 seconds later, so this isn't workable for me.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
But stuff picked up so far: Everything can hurt everything (fear the lasgun, you horrible Land Raider?) and no more templates.

I don't even want to listen anymore.

Welcome to Age of Guilliman.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
From the link: http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/04/40k-live-faq-round-up.html

http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Live-FAQ-Warhammer-8th.jpg

Did you miss the Live Q&A ? We got you covered.
Games Workshop just had a long chat via a Facebook Live Video. We know lots of folks might not of been able to watch due to the time or because you’re at work so we took a bunch of notes for you! Enjoy:
Q&A Summary

• Was the info released at Adepticon about Movement Stats coming back, Chargers striking first and Morale Tests real?
Yes. Armor save modifiers are coming back, Movement stats are back, chargers will strike first (more on that later), and Morale tests are going to work in a similar manner as AoS.

• Vehicles & Armor Values?
No more Armor Value for Vehicles. All models will basically have the same stat line. That means Vehicles will have a Damage Table tailored to each vehicle. As the vehicles take damage they loose effectiveness – possibly lower BS, attacks, etc.
Everyone can hurt Everyone!

• Will army play styles change?
They have tried to keep the play styles of armies similar and used this edition change to help reset and refocus those archetypes in a re-inforcing manner.

• Is the Game still a D6 system?
Yes.

• What’s the typical Game length (time wise)?
For a 1500 point game, shooting for a 90 minute game.

• Narrative gaming support? How?
Yes – lots of support. 3 ways to play in mind – New warzones, campaigns, supplements will “have a home” in 8th.

• Will every model currently out will have rules?
Yes! “All In” with model rules, including scenery, monsters, etc.

• Command Points – how will we generate them?
They will help reflect the army selection & play style. In matched play, EVERY army will be battle-forged. 14 different Force Org charts for army composition. The way you build your army impacts how many you can end-up with.

• Command Points – what do they do?
On a very high-level, they do things like give you re-rolls. There are “Generic” abilities and there will be army specific rules when the new codexes come out. One of the Generic abilities will allow you to interrupt charge phase of your opponent.

• New Codexes?
Yes! Codexes are not going away, but they will come at a later date.

• Army Construction – How will that work?
Here is an example of 3 Force Org Charts – there will be 14 at the start and they (GW) think that no matter what type of army you have you’ll be able to build one that matches a Force Org Chart.

• Templates?
Templates are going away!

• How often can we use Command Points?
One per phase. They will be a limited resource.

• How did you test this edition?
GW reached out to several groups, notably they spoke with several of the big Tournament Organizers in the US for testing and feedback. That includes our buddies at Frontline Gaming, Adepticon, and NOVA. They said, “Most thoroughly we’ve ever tested.” And they have also taken in lots of community feedback though all the various forums, social media, etc.

• How will we get the rules?
Day 1 New Rules! Five books on Day One – rules for everyone with Points, too! Digital and Physical. Everything you need to start playing will be out day one for all armies.

• Expansions like Cities of Death?
Yes, will be part of the game. More ideas on the way way – more narrative supplements.

• How about Broken Units (a la Riptide)?
Most balanced edition with the most robust testing. Hopefully their won’t be any “broken” units.

• Match Play regular updates?
Yes! Much like the General’s Handbook, annual update for rules/points.

• Fan Interaction?
Interactive Forum Coming as well social media feedback.

• Free Rules? How will we get them?
Digital copies available and printed verisons at FLGS and Games Workshop Stores.

• Warhammer 40k App for list building?
Working on it, not available for launch but it’s on the way!

• Specific Tournament Rules?
No, but core rules have guidance for folks who want to run tournaments – “just suggestions.”

• Unit Rebalancing?
Everything is now a legitimate choice. Even pyrovores. Everything can hurt everything else because of the new types of profiles.

• How long was this game edition in development?
“A Long Time.”

• What were your Top 3 goals for this edition?
1 – Make a game that works for all 3 ways to play
2 – Make sure the game holds-up to a competitive play
3 – Make it more accessible to everyone from new players, to fans of the lore, to hard core hobbyists.
They really wanted to take in as much feedback as possible and incorporate the feed back to what everyone was asking for.

• Release Date?
“This Year.” More news on that later – just not today.

• More cool stuff at Warhammer Fest?
Yes.

• Will you cut down the number of models that are available and “streamline” the armies?
No – All models are sticking around!

• How will points work?
Two different types of points!
1 – Powerlevel points – this is a basic, very broad brush gauge for a unit. It’s designed for Narrative play so you can have an idea of how powerful your army is and play in a more relaxed way.
2 – Matched Play Points – this is the very granular option. Weapons, options, etc. all have points costs – like the current system.

• What about the factions? Noticed on the new 40k site that Astra Militarum was missing – what gives?
The website is more narrative focused – it’s an intro site for new players and a “getting started” place. Astra Militarum is still around and so are the Skitarii, they aren’t going anywhere.

• Will there be new factions?
Yes. and possibly some new ones at launch…

• What about Monstrous Creatures?
Yep, they are moving to the Damage Table like vehicles!

• How will stats work? Str, Toughness, Wounds?
Again, everything can hurt everything! Stats are NOT capped at 10 anymore. Andy commented that when he played his first game, he really felt like the weapons did what they were supposed to – everything felt “right” when he played (in terms of how weapons worked).

• What sized games are supported?
Both Match and Narrative games – 1000 points up to what every you want.

• What’s the Highest Wound Count Model?
“The Knights are up there, but I don’t want to say and be wrong later…”

• What about Allies?
Yes, allies are still around. But they work slightly different. Because the game is moving to the “Keyword” system the typical Death Star units/combos are not going to work. Your special abilities will only transfer to the units with the correct Keywords. This should cut down on the shenanigans.
The Force Org still supports allies but that will cut into command points…

• Will Close-Combat be viable?
“Absolutely” – due to the change with chargers striking first and everyone being able to hurt everyone close combat should be a viable part of the game.

• Is Medusa Gone? It wasn’t on the new map!
It’s not gone! The map was just really crowded.

• What about Forge World Rules?
Those will be available in the same way.

• What about the folks that just purchased books and codexes? Those are all invalidated!
Yes – if you still have your proof of purchase, you can contact GW Customer support for vouchers (time limit of 8 weeks).

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Okay, having read more of the FAQ vid from various sources, I'm back to cautiously optimistic. Emphasis on the caution.

Reactions: scscofield

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks @scscofield for putting that up.
It makes an interesting read and I will be waiting till it comes out before making an actual opinion.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'm probably reading too much into it, but I think there might be a hint as to the next campaign books in here.

Today, we take a look at the three distinct ways to play that will be covered in the new edition.

Warhammer 40,000 is a vast setting that literally spans a galaxy of possibilities.

We know that there are loads of you out there who play in many different ways – some of you love to use your favourite models in casual games against friends, some of you want ways to refight the iconic battles and act out the epic rivalries of the 41st Millennium, and some of you want a competitive game that you can play at local clubs or at tournaments.

The new Warhammer 40,000 has something for all of you.

There are, of course, limitless ways to play Warhammer 40,000, and everyone’s preference will be slightly different. What the new edition gives you is three flexible starting points to help you create the game you want – open, narrative or matched.

Open play is the most flexible system – where you can use any models you like in a game to achieve any sort of objective you like. You can play archetypal scenarios like raids, ambushes or desperate last-stands with “What If” themes, set up races between vehicles, or even use the classic “who would win in a fight between…” as a catalyst for a game with undeniable appeal.

This is also the type of game that lends itself best to team play or multiplayer battles, and is especially useful for those just getting started with Warhammer 40,000 or as a way to try out new models as you are building your way to a larger force. If there is some sort of challenge that can’t be fit into a narrative or matched play game, open play is where it’s at.

Narrative play is just what it sounds like – fighting battles based on stories from the far future, whether from campaign books, Black Library novels or legends of your own creation. Perhaps they even form part of an ongoing campaign, or are set in the notorious war zones of the 41st Millennium, such as Armageddon, Cadia, Fenris, Baal… the list goes on. Playing games that tell part of a larger story is what narrative play is all about.

Suggestions for missions that can form the basis of open or narrative play games (including the return of the classic Warhammer 40,000 battle “Meatgrinder”), as well as suggestions on historical and campaign games are all available in the new edition.

Matched play is the final type of play-style. This system will be very familiar to those of you who play Warhammer 40,000 regularly now. Like the game today, it is based around one of two mission tables of 6 possible battles – either Eternal War, or Maelstrom of War, though the missions briefs have all been updated a little.

Your armies for matched play games will always be Battle-forged (more on that in future) and use points values to help ensure a balanced game. Rules and points for every single model in the game are being realigned for the new edition – so expect to see many units that might have been absent from competitive play make a welcome return. Army selection is still quite open though, and if you have a Battle-forged army for the current edition of Warhammer 40,000, you’ll be able to build a Battle-forged army for the new edition as well.

Matched play also has a few extra rules that impact the game itself, mostly to do with things like deploying reserves, summoning or generating reinforcements, using psychic powers and limiting how often you can use your army’s Stratagems (more on those soon).

The matched play section also has some recommendations for event organisers: things like how much time certain sizes of game will take to play and what size board they would typically be played on – for example, a game of 1,000-2,000 points takes just over 2 hours and will be played on a 6’x4′ board.

So, however you like to play Warhammer 40,000 – the new edition of the game is for you.

Thanks for reading folks.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Hmmm. Hmmm. Hmmm.

Don't quite know what to think about all of that... but still interested supose well get hard facts soon enough, once the game releases.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Actually interesting thoughtm just checked my email and the codexs are going on clearance. Has GW prime ever done this? I know most local store did to move stock, but just a little surprised. Maybe New GW is leading the way with a new way of thinking....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, I'm hoping to remain optimistic and so far so good.
Based on GWs turnaround times recently we should be seeing the rules within about 3 months.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I wonder is the 8 week limit on refunds for buying a codex recently is from the date this was announced, or from the date the new edition drops? I bought the DW codex in the middle of last month.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/24/just-bought-a-codex-dont-worry-weve-got-you-covered/

"You can claim a voucher no matter where you bought your codex and/or rulebook, as long as you have your proof of purchase and it’s dated between the 25th of February 2017 and the 22nd of April 2017."

Seems to be not applicable for supplements.

41 - 60 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.