Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 646 Posts

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is floating round on the net this morning...

1, Codexs are done and will be replaced on launch day withwar-scroll style releases much in the vain that AOS was.

2, Gone are templates, weapons will instead do random numbers of wounds much like flamer do now in overwatch

3, Vehicle armour values are gone, vehicles will instead get multiple wounds (expect even the most basic tank to have a lot of wounds doublefigures) heavier weapons will however do multiple wounds too.

4, Weapons will have a armour save modifier much like second edition rather than an ap value, so you have a save and this is reduced depending which weapon you’re shot with, rather than getting full save until your ap value is beaten.

5, Early summer release date, I think he said June but it may have been July my memory isn’t what it used to be J.

6, Rules will be simplified but not to the extent of AOS like AOS there will be three ways to play open narrative and matched.

7, Charging from vehicles is back not just assault vehicles,expect to see rhinos full of assault marines as far as the eye can see…

I honestly don't know how I feel about those. I own a lot of codex's and IA's :/
Vehicles having wounds means no vehicle damage.
I like templates (but not the scatter dice - it hates me :D) and I'll be sad if they go.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Been seeing these floating around out, certainly seems interesting enough, unless they gut the game as bad as they did with warhammer.

But some tidying could be done, so bit on the fence with the ideas they are bringing out

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Add this to the previously mentioned morale changes and we basically have Age of Emperor.
We'll see.
Is this rumor reliable? SALT! (but panick nonetheless)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked this with a separate source and got told to expect the template bit.
I'm taking that with salt but I've no reason to disbelieve him.

Also found the beneath

Faiet212 said:
via an anonymous source (take this as solid as you can get)
Codices are not going away.
Won't comment on any other lucky swings in that list.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I wont say that i'd like to see templates gone. I certainly love the fact that small blast weapons could be more useful. but flamers...damn i love the flamer template!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Imagine a fire and brimstone preacher going 'Praise the lord!' then apply it to flamer templates.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
----all hail the flamer template lord!
May the fiery template of his fury fall upon our enemy!-----

Reactions: Brother Dextus

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
They can have my template-firing Shredding Hand Flamers when they pry them from my cold dead hands. I'm very much against replacing maneuvering skill with random dice luck.

Reactions: neferhet

·
Registered
142 Posts
As with any changes here in life, I fear the worst.

My main concern is an over simplification of the rules. To me, one of the charming parts of the game is discussing and interpreting rules, while under heavy influence of alcohol.
Also I like telling AoS players that their game is for idiots and juveniles (even though I've never tried it or even read the rules). If 40k becomes too simple, I'll be robbed of that joy.

However, armour saves modifiers is something I've always wanted (wasn't in the game during 2nd ed).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
As with any changes here in life, I fear the worst.

My main concern is an over simplification of the rules. To me, one of the charming parts of the game is discussing and interpreting rules, while under heavy influence of alcohol.
Also I like telling AoS players that their game is for idiots and juveniles (even though I've never tried it or even read the rules). If 40k becomes too simple, I'll be robbed of that joy.

However, armour saves modifiers is something I've always wanted (wasn't in the game during 2nd ed).
I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but since i'm currently i'm under the influence of alchohol, i can totally tell you that you misread the Reanimation protocol rules. :grin:

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
idiots and juveniles (even though I've never tried it or even read the rules).
so basicly you behave like that towards people that play AoS, good to know :grin:

honestly the 40K rules could use some streamlining, but despite enjoying AoS I hope the 40k rules won't be revamped to that extend.
AND HANDS OFF OF MY TEMPLATES!!! my guardsmen need em...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
...you misread the Reanimation protocol rules. :grin:
For stupidity reasons I almost always use the term "Reproduction Protocols" for this rule! :laugh::laugh:

----

I'll be honest the two items that intrigue me the most is the removal of armor value and armor modifiers.

I'm on the watch for how exactly they plan on making 2+ armor become "good" again, and how they would make power armor remain important.

----

I think that simply switching vehicles over to a MC stat line is a better idea than this current mix-match hybrid Bullshit that is currently going on. (see Chariots, and Walkers for example)

Since Walkers and MCs already are for all purposes the exact same thing. Making vehicles base T6 (aka AV 10) with a 2+ save and three HP (Hit/Hull Points) and going up on their T value pending the vehicle. Best thing about this idea is that your HP doesn't have to change if the system works seemlessly.

Here are some potential ideas

Rhino = T7 2+ armor
Chinera = T6 2+ armor
Dread/Helbrute/other 12-12-10 walkers = T8 2+ armor
Venerable/Siege/Dinobot/Defiler/Contemptor Dread = T8 2+/5++
Scout Sentinel = T5 3+ armor
These are just a few proposals that I think would work.

And if Missile launchers will cause D6 or D3 wounds then ya I'm for Missile Launchers able to wreck APCs again.

----

I wonder if the game would have another point reduction across the board (which seems to be the trend from what I can gather for each edition change) or perhaps a more required point increase.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Bah. i agree that blasts need some rehash (small blasts, mainly) but to remove completely them is just removing an important aspect of movement and one of the last sempblance of tactics in the game.
About the vehicle stuff @Fallen mantions, i hope they keep it simple like that and remove the damage table, but if they do like AoS (where a damaged vehicle/monster changes stat line 3 or 4 times) it would become an absolute nightmare where you could never remember your stat line after 2 firing phases. Not really a simplification. But i digress.
Also, point reduction?? Hell i hope no! In fact in my group we are musing about returning to third etition and its lack of giant goofy 600+ pts centrepieces and higher unit costs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
so basicly you behave like that towards people that play AoS, good to know :grin:
Exactly! The obvious irony is why it's funny :)
Might be a cultural thing. We danes are kinda weird humour wise (or perhaps it's just me!)

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not, but since i'm currently i'm under the influence of alchohol, i can totally tell you that you misread the Reanimation protocol rules. :grin:
About enjoying rules discussion, I actually wasn't being sarcastic.
I like that I discover new things in almost every game I play.
Granted, I only really get to play like once a month if I'm lucky.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
It's odd that they are talking about getting rid of templates and introducing a D6 damage system, when only a few months ago a system written by GW legends Cavatore and Priestly has just abandoned that system and introduced templates for 2nd Ed Bolt Action, because they believed, because of feedback received from the players that it was too overpowered and led to an over-representation of those units on the table.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's odd that they are talking about getting rid of templates and introducing a D6 damage system, when only a few months ago a system written by GW legends Cavatore and Priestly has just abandoned that system and introduced templates for 2nd Ed Bolt Action, because they believed, because of feedback received from the players that it was too overpowered and led to an over-representation of those units on the table.
That's a good point, Mr. Fist.

I'd have to see the concrete rule suggestion here, before I can form an opinion.
My first thought is, don't take away my templates!

Would it be something like d6 for large blasts and flamer templates, d3 for small blasts?

1 - 20 of 646 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.