Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so as someone who plays almost all of the armies at one time or another I like to come up with a variety of challenges in order to keep things interesting.

This time around, the challenge has been to pick an army, use the models provided in that army's battleforce along with one extra set, and create a decent list. Or at the very least a legal one that can do something.

For this I have elected to return to chaos marines, which means whatever list I come up with has to make use of the contents of the chaos battleforce along with one additional set. For this I have selected a rhino, giving me access to fifteen chaos marines, eight Khorne berzerkers, five possessed, and two rhino's. So with that I have come up with:

Edit - for people who look at lists and are used to/expect to see the changes made in post one, look elsewhere in this thread. Edits and updates belong after the comments they are taken from, not at the start of the thread so anyone else reading runs the chance of getting confused. My most current version of this list is not in this post.

HQ:
Chaos lord
Mark of Khorne; pair of lightning claws; combi-flamer

Elites:
5x Possessed

5x Chosen
2x Plasmagun

Troops:
8x Khorne berzerkers
Skull champion; powerfist
Rhino

9x Chaos marines
Meltagun
Aspiring champion; powerfist
Rhino

Total: 853

Obviously a little more than the 850 of the title, so if the list is going to be at that range than gonna have to find some way to shave those extra points. Other than that, anyone have any alternate idea's for setup? That could include a different additional set that might be of more use.

If not, by all means what do you all think?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless it was FAQed or my codex is worded incorrectly, it lists a pair of lightning claws as a replacement for his close combat weapon. I'd be willing to concede by taking the pair that he loses his bolt pistol, but from the entry it does not state this to be so. Further down on his options it says the chaos lord can take a combi-weapon; it just says he can take one, not that it replaces anything.

So, the lord, as far as I am aware, can take a pair of lightning claws and a combi-flamer because the combi-flamer is not replacing anything, its just an addition. (Like meltabombs, your not replacing anything; unlike a lightning claw which specifically states it is replacing something.)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Haha, i just checked and the Codex is worded so you can take dual LCs and a combi-weapon. awesome cheeze.

Anyway, to make the 850 mark you could change the Plasma on the Chosen to Melta. Can never have too much melta. But maybe im just sour on plas because my last game one of my Plague Marines blew himself up XD

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be less than happy with that as well, I mean a 16% or so chance of overheat, a 34% chance of failing the save, and a 50% chance of failing FNP is very low odds, and even worse luck.

Alright so lets edit the list a little:

HQ:
Chaos lord

Elites:
5x Possessed
Icon of chaos glory

5x Chosen
2x Meltagun

Troops:
8x Khorne berzerkers
Rhino

9x Chaos marines
Meltagun
Rhino

Total: 848

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you suggest Kharn over the second rhino, as my choice of additional set after the battleforce?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Are you suggest Kharn over the second rhino, as my choice of additional set after the battleforce?
Do you get a chaos lord in the battleforce? I figured you just chose a HQ of your own accord...

If not then you already have two additional sets.. the rhino and the lord...

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No you do not, instead of being faced with that problem, of no lord, I opted to use one of the possessed in his place. Thats why there is a squad of only nine chaos marines; in order to have legal five man squads of chosen and possessed I need an extra body from somewhere.

If you look at the list you might be able to get that, fifteen chaos marines, eight berzerkers, two rhino's, and five possessed. The list has one lord, five chosen, five possessed, two rhino's, nine chaos marines, and eight berzerkers. (Same numbers, someone just got shifted over to lord and five of the chaos marines became chosen.)

·
Registered
496 Posts
ive never actualy herd anything good about possessed in all my time of being on this forum (granted it hasnt been that long) TBH i would drop/convert them into somthing more awsome if possible :3

if not then thats fine to i guess o.o

and yes... that combimelta/DLC is awsome x3

ya know i thini you still even get to keep ya pistol o_O (which could be changed to a Plasma pistol x3) but i wouldnt...

also if possible go combimelta on the lord, flamers are fine... but you dont wanna shoot it then kill things and suddenly be out of charge range XD

·
Registered
594 Posts
Possessed make awesome conversion bits for when you need a scary part strapped on another unit.

IMO, a much better use of them than fielding the actual unit. Possessed are just bleh, especially when Zerkers are better for cheaper (plus you get 12 per box :biggrin:).

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what would you suggest instead of the five possessed?

Perhaps a tenth chaos marine so I gain access to the second melta? But then what should I do with the other four?

·
Registered
941 Posts
interesting idea, it does limit creativness though... not sure if I like it or not, interesting!:eek:k:

·
Registered
594 Posts
OK, im tired so i may be delving into mad-science territory, but bear with me here.

Drop:
-5 possessed
-Combi-flamer
-2 Plasma on Chosen
-Melta on CSM

Add:
-Autolas Pred
-1 CSM
-2 Meltas for Chosen
-2 Flamer on CSM

By my calculations, this will put you at 848 points. So, you get under you point limit while putting a nice shooty vehicle on the field.

·
Registered
477 Posts
OK, im tired so i may be delving into mad-science territory, but bear with me here.

Drop:
-5 possessed
-Combi-flamer
-2 Plasma on Chosen
-Melta on CSM

Add:
-Autolas Pred
-1 CSM
-2 Meltas for Chosen
-2 Flamer on CSM

By my calculations, this will put you at 848 points. So, you get under you point limit while putting a nice shooty vehicle on the field.
This is a good idea but have all flamers on one and all meltas on the other.. Chosen are best when focused on a singular task.. To mix weapons like that is to only be half effective all of the time..

·
Registered
496 Posts
HQ:
Chaos lord

Elites:
5x Possessed

5x Chosen
2x Plasmagun

Troops:
8x Khorne berzerkers
Rhino

9x Chaos marines
Meltagun
Rhino
from this list...

the lord seems fine, but put a Combimelta on him if anything otherwise just drop it completely flamers are ok, but not if you wanna get your Zerkers in charge range (they can kill models closest to the zerkers to put you out of 6" if you kill some with the flamer)

Possessed droped and added to your Bits-box (if you dont have a Bits-box then you should start one)

Chosen shouldnt take Plasma, i dont really even see the point in the Squad of chosen... you may as well take a 5 man CSM squad for home camping since its less then 1k points i wouldnt be expecting to much that you would need a Sui-melta-chosen squad for anyway

Zerker squad is perfect, nothing to change on it at all

CSM squad...
now i have to admit im really not a massive fan of undivided marines, i much rather any of the cult troops, specificly Nurgle for home camping (Nilla CSM's can easily be convereted with just a lick of paint and maby some green stuff if you feel like making them epic :3) if you change to Plague marines, then run a squad of 7 with 2 plasma guns on them (up to you whatelse to do/not do)

Dropping both the Possessed and the Chosen will free you up a crapload of points that you can spend in various ways, to be honist i think you should reinvest those points into troops (as much as i like Thousand son models and Rules, they are fucking expencive so dont use them) Noice marines with Sonic blasters and a Blast master, Plague marines with Plasma guns, or Khorne Berserkers with the exact set-up you have (Rhino for KB's can stand having EA on them :3) are all very very good options, they will give you a new unit to score with, as well as as kickass cult troop! (or even nilla marine squad)

Hope my advice doesnt completely suck x3

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Drop:
-5 possessed
-Combi-flamer
-2 Plasma on Chosen
-Melta on CSM

Add:
-Autolas Pred
-1 CSM
-2 Meltas for Chosen
-2 Flamer on CSM
So my only question/problem is how am I going to get the predator? Remember one set plus battleforce, thats the challenge; and so far I'm using the one set on a rhino. Should I be dropping that rhino for the pred, leaving someone stuck running the field? Also, pair of flamers on a powerfist squad, seems like mixed roles really.

Otherwise check the whole thread, I altered the list further down on page one where the chosen swap plasma for melta.

Flame80010 said:
Chosen shouldnt take Plasma, i dont really even see the point in the Squad of chosen... you may as well take a 5 man CSM squad for home camping since its less then 1k points i wouldnt be expecting to much that you would need a Sui-melta-chosen squad for anyway
Oh well the point of the squad is I had five guys after the lord, nine man squad, and berzerkers, and knew that chosen could be a small infiltrating unit with access to more than one special weapon. So I went with that; the dual plasma was more because I already had a squad with a melta or two, I wanted to change things up and have a chosen squad that was not an outright suicide squad.

Flame80010 said:
CSM squad...
now i have to admit im really not a massive fan of undivided marines, i much rather any of the cult troops, specificly Nurgle for home camping (Nilla CSM's can easily be convereted with just a lick of paint and maby some green stuff if you feel like making them epic :3) if you change to Plague marines, then run a squad of 7 with 2 plasma guns on them (up to you whatelse to do/not do)
Hm, now this is an interesting one. The challenge is to start a force using only the battleforce plus one more set; other than that anything goes. So it is possible to convert in order to make other options viable.

Interesting, will have to give this one some thought.

Right so here is the new list:

HQ:
Chaos lord
Mark of Khorne; pair of lightning claws; combi-melta

Elites:
5x Chosen
2x Meltagun

Troops:
8x Khorne berzerkers
Rhino
Extra armour

10x Chaos marines
2x Meltagun
Rhino
Extra armour

Total: 768

Alright so now I have four bodies left; I've opted to keep the chosen, and now have four bodies left to flesh out somewhere else, with the chosen, remove the chosen for something else though they would be stuck without a rhino. Any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Get yourself an IocG for that CSM squad..

And chosen not having a Rhino is not all that bad a thing. I prefer to have a Rhino but they can still outflank and infiltrate.. Great on a board with plentiful cover..

·
Registered
496 Posts
drop the EA on the Nilla marine Rhino

the only reason you keep it on Zerkers is because that rhino should be moving flat out every turn that it can move untill the Zerkers are in range for charging :3

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright well then I am at 753, almost a hundred points to work with. Or if we can find a way to drop three points, can dumb this down to 750.

Though with the current list, remaining models are left at four and I am using the additional set.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts