Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
7th ed. Rulebook, page 120:
'Sometimes a unit's Army List entry will include a Transport option, allowing a vehicle to be selected together with the unit. These Dedicated Transports do not use up a slot on the Force Organisation Chart (pg. 120), but for all other purposes count as having the same Battlefield Role and Faction (if any) as the unit they were bought for.

For example, a Rhino bought for a Space Marines Tactical Squad (Troops) counts as a unit of Troops, but one bought for a Space Marine Sternguard Veteran Squad (Elites) counts as Elites.

Other vehicles may also have a Transport Capacity, but as they are chosen seperately, they have a Battlefield Role and occupy a Force Organisation Chart slot of their own'

Dedicated Transports are allways an OPTION for a certain unit, to be selected together with said unit.
This is clearly indicated in 5th and 6th edition codicees.

Example:

Codex: Dark Eldar 5th:
'Certain units have the option of selecting a Dedicated Transport vehicle ... '
... and a unit entry:
'Options:
Transports:
- The squad may take a Raider or Venom as a Dedicated Transport (see page 91 ... '
Same in 6th ed. entries:

Codex: Eldar 6th:
'Options:
- The unit may take a Wave Serpent as a Dedicated Transport (see page 97 ... '

Again, Dedicated Transports are always a very specific option for a specific unit. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I think analyzing the exact rules wording on the shits and giggles with friends mode is probably the most useless thing that anyone can spend time on. There's a reason that mode doesn't have more than a paragraph of rules that aren't precise. Personally I'd be fine with someone running 15 trukks with a wave serpent as warlord but maybe that's not the same for you guys.:victory:

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think analyzing the exact rules wording on the shits and giggles with friends mode is probably the most useless thing that anyone can spend time on.
Agreed. In this case, analyzing isn't even needed though. Being able to read should clearby be enough.

There's a reason that mode doesn't have more than a paragraph of rules that aren't precise.
Exactly. There is no need for any more words. It is pretty precise though. :wink:

Personally I'd be fine with someone running 15 trukks with a wave serpent as warlord but maybe that's not the same for you guys.
Nope, not really. I adore people that are able to enjoy such a stupid game, but in my book (and that of my gaming circle) it simply wouldn't feel 'right'.
Of course, that, as well as everything else, is an entirely subjective preference. :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
'Certain units have the option of selecting a Dedicated Transport vehicle ... '
Exactly they have an option, not an upgrade of selecting it as a transport
An option isn't an upgrade it's a choice at least that's how I look at it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This whole discussion is why they've brought in the Unbound armies option.

It's not about adding a whole new list of rules, it's about removing restrictions. Unbound armies to me (and i think a lot of players, particularly the older ones here will agree) is about being a bit more free to come up with interesting ideas for scenarios or army lists. Using another race's DTs sounds like an awesome idea, so does finding your SM army has just come accross the annual howling banshee convention whilst out on a recon mission, or your orks have intercepted an Astra Millitarum attilery column being guarded by 250 lowly conscripts or... It's just about creating "what if?" scenarios. It's about freeing players to come up with their own set of house rules with their regular opponents, it is not about competitive play.

The spirit of the rules does not seem to be about finally being able to spam out a narrow selection of units inorder to win every game in 2 turns. That sort of shit would get very boring VERY quickly. For everyone involved. And players who insist on playing those armies are going to find themselves short of opponents willing to play against them. All this talk of having someone spring a killer combo on you out of nowhere, play against it once, then just ask if they have an allternative list or ask for a rematch but swapping armies. Also (this doesn't seem to have been mentioned allready) i doubt any tournament is going to be allowing unbound armies any time soon and even when they do there's going to be a LONG list of custom restrictions.

Free your minds young ones, step away from the rules and your desire to find out who's better at finding exploits in the rules and remember what it was like to have fun playing the hobby you love. (Or just continue to play against opponents using the FOC if that's your bag).

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
What King Gary said, exactly what he said. Who cares if the codex says you can't take thing a if you have not already taken thing b. If thing a will be fun to use then go for it. Plus the fact a whole army of DT will be pretty poor. Even the mighty wave serpent all on its own would be mediocre compared to a battle forged army. There are only so many glancing hits you can take before you explode.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Which is why I asked about the type of thing he was wanting to play. If with a mate, doesn't matter. But if you went up to a random in the FLGS and said "Unbound game?" And they said "Yep" then they might question the by-the-book legality of how you came up with it, regardless of competitiveness. Avoiding that questioning (and potential disagreement over interpretation) is all we're trying to resolve.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
To me it seems like unbound is a mini apoc option. I'm fine with this actually apoc is one of my favorite games to play, however the scale of it means that playing often isn't an option. Having the chance to play 2000 point bring whatever games is awesome.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Which is why I asked about the type of thing he was wanting to play. If with a mate, doesn't matter. But if you went up to a random in the FLGS and said "Unbound game?" And they said "Yep" then they might question the by-the-book legality of how you came up with it, regardless of competitiveness. Avoiding that questioning (and potential disagreement over interpretation) is all we're trying to resolve.
I don't think it's really possible to do this due to the scope of unbound. You have to ask power list, theme list or silly list at least; a mixed matchup won't be much fun. Plus they literally do not specify if "whatever units from your collection" removes only FOC and single-codex but also specific rules like dedicated transports or unique characters (Ghazgul Thraka and his 6 twins would like a word wif you). It looks to me that in the spirit of unbound they never will. That's just something you have to sort out with your opponent. Just like deciding what is a scoring unit in an army without troops choices. Personally I'd say if you have a model, find the closest codex entry and use its points cost.

·
Registered
343 Posts
If it's a complete random opponent then I'd just say, i'll play whatever, but we play two consecutive games - where we play each others lists. You don't need to see the list before deciding then. If the other guy refuses (without a decent reason) then you know something fishy's going on.

EDIT: or talk with your FLGS owner about coming up with a set of house rules. A simple couple of rules might be all the models have to be represented by the actual model in unbound lists. -

If you've got 10 Gazgull Thrakkas then god speed to you. You've got 10 boyz that you're calling Gazgull? Not a chance.

You've actually got 15 swave serpents? Cool. You got 2 wave serpents, 3 falcons, 5 leman russes and 5 small shoe boxes? Then you play with the ten tanks that you actually own

The other rule, which i like a lot is you only use your oppnents list, and they use yours.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts