"Sir, what the hell just happened?"
"Err...he...errr...got angry, that's all"
"But he turned into a Daemon! Is he corrup..."
"HERESY! We have a member of the fallen!!!"

Dark angels, you didn't see anything...or else

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Mana pool? How would that work when you have to expand your warp charges on force weapons or the helm for eldar?
er...warp charge pool. I forget sometimes people can't.

It will likely work exactly the way the new book describes....though if I had to guess, each side generates a specific number of Warp Charge points (or whatever you want to call magic points) based on the number of psykers or anti-psykers they have and whoever is using or refuting a power draws on that pool of points to do so.

Think Command Points from Space Hulk. If I had to guess.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Warp Charge dice (kind of like dice in the magic phase for WFB) were said to be D6+Mastery Level (of all the Psykers in your army) in the WD. So basically a collected pool like now, only you get up to D6 extra ones to try and help put some oomph into getting powers off.

Looks like Wyrdvanes will be handy to IG just to spawn extra dice now.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I wasn't around for Rogue Trader, so, I don't exactly get this comment. Would you mind explaining it just a bit?
If my memory allows, you could take pretty much anything you wanted in RT. Mind you this was before the time of codexes so army lists were articles in WD etc.

Those were the days of much more fluidity in the game, with players making up their own rules and less adherence to what was in the rule book if it didn't suit you. Not like today's rules lawyers who take every nuance of a rule to mean something it probably does not.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
If my memory allows, you could take pretty much anything you wanted in RT. Mind you this was before the time of codexes so army lists were articles in WD etc.

Those were the days of much more fluidity in the game, with players making up their own rules and less adherence to what was in the rule book if it didn't suit you. Not like today's rules lawyers who take every nuance of a rule to mean something it probably does not.
Ah, ok. I may actually like that more.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument. Unbounded will give games that are a 'Titan-fest' of big names and/or big toys such as the like we all read in the fluff.
On the downside, we can ask, Whats the point of a Codex?
As an historical gamer (mostly) I like to field realistic or as realistic considering an alien future forces as I can. So having a base list of HQ + 2 Troops minimum works towards that end.
In the end, as so many have said, it's who you game with and how the game is played
Maybe GW are trying to go back to Rogue Trader??
I love Terminators and bikes, but Sammael and Belial are very expensive. With the unbound rule I can bring a Termie/bike list without HAVING to spend so many points on an expensive HQ and bring an interrogator Chaplain instead. This is actually a realistic force for Dark Angels to bring. There are a lot of fluffy lists that simply don't fit within the standard FoC.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
but Sammael and Belial are very expensive
Azrael is pretty inexpensive when you consider he can join a blob of 30+ Guardsmen and give them 4++ saves. Not to mention you get both DW and RW as Troops.

I am interested to see how this Unbound army list stuff works with the Objective cards; I still feel like scoring options will be necessary and for DW that means Belial or Azrael. I don't see DW with the ability to table anyone being as outnumbered as they usually are.

EDIT: Completely thought this was another thread, but hey. It still seems like it applies.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Double post for hilarity:

Talking to a buddy about the new 40k edition, specifically about the Unbound army option. His response to the change:

"I guess now they just don't give a FoC"

:rofl:

·
Registered
2,007 Posts

You've always bee able to do that though. If I remember correctly there was specifically a section in the rulebook that says something along the lines of: "Play the game how you feel is best, if you wanna take a bunch of stuff from every codex, just do it."

The way I see it is; ideal, well written, balanced rules allow for more options and styles of play, better clarity and less time bickering over rules. If you wanna play an ultra-competitive tournament style game, you can; if you wanna play an extended narrative campaign, you can; if you wanna damn the rules and take a whole terminator force, you can. Well designed game mechanics provide the basis for your games, no matter what form they take.

I'm going to reserve my judgement of 7th edition till after it comes out. This pre-release angst and guestimating is worse than a coalition budget.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
You've always bee able to do that though. If I remember correctly there was specifically a section in the rulebook that says something along the lines of: "Play the game how you feel is best, if you wanna take a bunch of stuff from every codex, just do it."
The only problem is that some people just don't allow people do stray from the rulebook and because of that people just can't play against other people. So putting the options into the rulebook is actually pretty good for that.

·
Registered
343 Posts
The only problem is that some people just don't allow people do stray from the rulebook and because of that people just can't play against other people. So putting the options into the rulebook is actually pretty good for that.
I guess the point is that for those players who would play without codex restrictions, having to have it written down somewhere is, well kinda sad. Possibly?

Who knows, maybe it'll lead to more creative gameplay for the majority of players which is a good thing.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I guess the point is that for those players who would play without codex restrictions, having to have it written down somewhere is, well kinda sad. Possibly?

Who knows, maybe it'll lead to more creative gameplay for the majority of players which is a good thing.
Personally i like to have it written down because it saves time. I appreciate the game isn't balanced, but homebrew rules can be ridiculously unbalanced and it takes ages for everyone to concur on whether a home brew list is ok to play. More time gaming and less time rulesing sounds good to me.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Personally i like to have it written down because it saves time. I appreciate the game isn't balanced, but homebrew rules can be ridiculously unbalanced and it takes ages for everyone to concur on whether a home brew list is ok to play. More time gaming and less time rulesing sounds good to me.
Most applicable comment. Well said!

161 - 180 of 642 Posts