Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

141 - 160 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yeah see that's the thing about most gaming clubs I have encountered: They often self-regulate themselves against douchebaggery as no one likes or wants to play the dick who brings a netlist or 5000 riptides and will argue over every single rule bogging the game down with a WAAC attitude. They quickly find no one wants to play them and either stop coming or move to another club.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was lucky enough to move to a new area just as a new club started, so got to be a part of the creation of the 40k scene, so we really have been able to spread that we are a just for a laugh enviroment.

I actually have a couple of gaming clubs closer to where i live but it's worth the extra travel to really enjoy my hobby with like minded players.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I assume there will be changes to make things more balanced. I wouldn't be surprised if Acts of Faith got treated like Psychic Powers for activation for instance.
Soo...

I'm the only one who thinks that giving Tau and Necrons the disadvantage of struggling to stop psychic powers is a good thing? Because I seem to remember that Tau were all the rage and the best thing ever and anyone who didn't play them was a useless being who didn't deserve to lick the missiles off a Broadside a little while ago, and Necrons are hardly underpowered and do at least get a psychic defence in the Codex.

Bringing a new, powerful element into the game that Tau don't get to be a part of seems like a pretty good way to balance the game, actually.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
Soo...

I'm the only one who thinks that giving Tau and Necrons the disadvantage of struggling to stop psychic powers is a good thing? Because I seem to remember that Tau were all the rage and the best thing ever and anyone who didn't play them was a useless being who didn't deserve to lick the missiles off a Broadside a little while ago, and Necrons are hardly underpowered and do at least get a psychic defence in the Codex.

Bringing a new, powerful element into the game that Tau don't get to be a part of seems like a pretty good way to balance the game, actually.
I assume Necrons will be 40k's Dwarves: they'll not cast but shut down powers, that or the powers the Crypteks have will change over to being spells and have to be "cast" to function (as they goad the universe to do things THROUGH SCIENCE!).

If 'Crons don't become the Dwarves of 40k in terms of the powers, Tau definitely will. Though being able to Deny the Witch their Ethereal powers would be kind of nice....

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I assume Necrons will be 40k's Dwarves: they'll not cast but shut down powers, that or the powers the Crypteks have will change over to being spells and have to be "cast" to function (as they goad the universe to do things THROUGH SCIENCE!).

If 'Crons don't become the Dwarves of 40k in terms of the powers, Tau definitely will. Though being able to Deny the Witch their Ethereal powers would be kind of nice....
I think that'd be a huge cop-out. I believe that Tau and Necrons should be more powerful than any other race in terms of their guns and wargear, but be completely helpless in the Psychic phase. It gives more diversity in army dynamics - you can be well-rounded, like Marines, having good guns and gear and psychics, or be Necrons or Tau with great guns and gear but no psychics, or Chaos or Eldar, with sub-par guns and gear but great psychics. Obviously there'd be more to it than that, but having races that obviously dominate or are much weaker in the psychic phase allows armies to be more different (Space Mariens vs Chaos would have Space Marines having better wargear and weaponry, while Chaos would get a more powerful psychic presence in that phase, rather than just being ATSKNF vs Cheap Dudes).

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Soo...

Sorry, sorry. I forgot the Orange text in my post.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Necrons in the fluff are pretty much the ultimate anti-psykers (outside of Nids who don't shutdown powers as much as they just overload your brain with the entire Hive Fleet talking at the same time) The pillars on Cadia that are helping hold the Eye of Terror in check? Originally placed as part of a fence to try and hem the Eldar in by the Necrons.

Necrons shouldn't be "helpless" during the Psychic Phase, they should be good at stopping the powers. And as I mentioned, their "Technosorcery" could be treated -like- Psychic Powers (with Psykers basically using the Powers of the Warp to shut down such SCIENCE!) without actually being Psychic Powers.

Tau is kind of hit or miss on if they should or shouldn't but they're kind of all over the place in how well they interact with Chaos because of their apparently tiny souls (as far as the Daemons are concerned at least). Sure they have no innate psykers (at this point int time) but they're not exactly in a position to be made helpless.

Honestly I don't think anyone should be "helpless" in any phase because that just screams poor balance to me. I feel that instead of them being helpless that other things need to addressed and fixed instead (buffing Assault so it's either on par with shooting or punchy units are MUCH cheaper for instance to balance out the punchy vs shooty imbalance we currently have).

·
Registered
564 Posts
so i'm looking forward to see what they're going to do with the Black Templars in the physic phase or will it still just be a 5+ deny on everything. it would be hard to give them a buff (without some sort of errata) when they say the new rules are still going to work with the current codex. they won't be able to generate more than max 6 dice so that would hamstring them against something like my thousand son which would generate 11 dice minimum.

anyway i'm not going to complain about new rules until I've read them and then it's not like i'll be able to do anything about them anyway. my only gripe is the edition was to close to the other especially the price of a new BRB. in Australia the cost is $126.00 for the 6th ed and codexes started at $75.00 so that is my major gripe just the cost all the time.

my friends and I have said we'll continue to play in 6th ed until we all are ready to get into 7th. so we'll wait and once it comes out go and have a look at it and then decide.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
so i'm looking forward to see what they're going to do with the Black Templars in the physic phase or will it still just be a 5+ deny on everything.
I heard that there's going to be something akin to a mana pool for each side that is drawn upon to cast/refute psychic powers.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I heard that there's going to be something akin to a mana pool for each side that is drawn upon to cast/refute psychic powers.
Mana pool? How would that work when you have to expand your warp charges on force weapons or the helm for eldar?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I can see both sides of the argument. Unbounded will give games that are a 'Titan-fest' of big names and/or big toys such as the like we all read in the fluff.
On the downside, we can ask, Whats the point of a Codex?
As an historical gamer (mostly) I like to field realistic or as realistic considering an alien future forces as I can. So having a base list of HQ + 2 Troops minimum works towards that end.
In the end, as so many have said, it's who you game with and how the game is played
Maybe GW are trying to go back to Rogue Trader??

141 - 160 of 642 Posts