Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
241 - 260 of 642 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Yeah....yeah. If that's the case I will definitely not be buying a book to carry around.

I wonder if this new inclusion of Formations will see some showing up in new Codices? I'm sure there will always be ones in Supplements or Dataslates, but it would be nice if they could throw one or two into new codex releases as well if they are going to be in the core rulebook.
That's $140 AU, not CA.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I was just thinking about that this morning actually. There is no FOC in Warmachine for instance.
Smaller skirmish games tend to use this model though. Typically, but not always, you just need some kind of leader, then you spend the rest of your points/soul stones/bananas/mugufins on whatever you want. It works for skirmish games, but I don't know if it will transfer over to 40k, where you're playing with army-sized forces.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Smaller skirmish games tend to use this model though. Typically, but not always, you just need some kind of leader, then you spend the rest of your points/soul stones/bananas/mugufins on whatever you want. It works for skirmish games, but I don't know if it will transfer over to 40k, where you're playing with army-sized forces.
While true, you can play skirmish games at fairly large scales. I've seen Warmachine games that look like some 40k games.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That's $140 AU, not CA.
I was hoping you were commenting on the second half of my post...ah well. I saw that it's AU, just sympathizing. 6th was around $90 CAD, which is still pretty ridiculous for my tastes, I imagine 7th will be more expensive since they take such pretty pictures and use only the finest paper when making the book. I mean, it is a really nicely done book at least.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
I was hoping you were commenting on the second half of my post...ah well. I saw that it's AU, just sympathizing. 6th was around $90 CAD, which is still pretty ridiculous for my tastes, I imagine 7th will be more expensive since they take such pretty pictures and use only the finest paper when making the book. I mean, it is a really nicely done book at least.
Sorry, I'll post more when I know more but until then I can only comment on what we know.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm still wondering if anything and everything is scoring...

The benefit from battleforged armies still mentions scoring units... so hopefully, there will still be some sort of differentiation between say troops and elites...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I'm still wondering if anything and everything is scoring...
Back a page there was a video posted by GW that had a rule for certain units along the lines of 'objective secured': meant that they could hold objectives despite enemy units being close enough to contest it. If everything's scoring, why make a point of saying 'enemy scoring unit'?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Back a page there was a video posted by GW that had a rule for certain units along the lines of 'objective secured': meant that they could hold objectives despite enemy units being close enough to contest it. If everything's scoring, why make a point of saying 'enemy scoring unit'?
I don't know this, but I'd guess that it means, that if troops from a Battleforged army and units from an Unbound army claim for the same object - the Battleforge army troops get it even though Unbound army unit are in the area, since there are several mentions that Battleforged armies get advantages over an Unbound army.

And I think in an Unbound army only troops are scoring, unless the mission states otherwise. (Additional units being scoring e.g. fast attack)

·
Registered
720 Posts
To be fair, a lot of miniature games place little to no restrictions on what you can take and still work well. As long as things are well balanced it should be ok.
But see if there is one thing I have learned from my short life so far on this planet is that if there is a way to take advantage of something, people will take advantage of it. Id give it a month before we see even more ridiculous armies and deathstars then we have now. Im hoping that it will be better edition but Im just being realistic.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
But see if there is one thing I have learned from my short life so far on this planet is that if there is a way to take advantage of something, people will take advantage of it. Id give it a month before we see even more ridiculous armies and deathstars then we have now. Im hoping that it will be better edition but Im just being realistic.
I think you ought to find yourself a different gaming scene. Sounds like tournaments aren't really your thing...

I really don't mind a fun ruleset that has potential for broken shit. Potential is easy to deal with for me by playing against people looking for the same experience as me from the hobby. A ruleset that is inherently broken, and cannot be easily houseruled (easy to houserule roughly encompassing ignoring rules, but minor modifications if necessary), is more of a problem.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
That's why it's giving me hopes that, despite taking an unbound army, you'd still need troops to claim your objective. Given the "objective secured" bonus, battle forged might still be the way to go. Not taking any allies also gives a bonus, but I find that one very minuscule.

BTW, you really didn't need unbound to make a dick-ish list before. FoC wasn't really a very effective way to keep cheese in check. So in conclusion: if you still need troops to capture stuff, unbound isn't going to be that bad. The sky isn't falling just yet. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
From the Daemons 40k blog:
I spoke with my FLGS guy who talked to the GW rep this morning. Not all of my questions were answered, but here is what I heard that is not something already all over the internet. This assumes the GW rep had his facts straight, and the FLGS guy relayed them correctly via the game of telephone.

Battle Brothers

Eldar/DE
Chaos/Daemons
All Imperium

All others were convenience, desperate or apocalypse.

No answer as to whether you can join units of battle brothers.

Psychic Phase

Roll a D6 and add the total mastery levels of all your psykers. You get that many power dice and your opponent gets that many DTW dice.

To cast a power, you need to roll a 4+ for every warp charge of the power you're using. So warp charge 2 = two 4+, meaning you'd need 4 power dice to have an average shot.

Your opponent dispels the power with a roll of a 6 on their dice. So the more dice they have, the more shots they get at rolling that 6 to cancel out that critical power. I was told that the mastery level of the psyker dispelling the power lowers the roll needed to dispel it. So a ML2 psyker dispels on a 5+, ML3 on a 4+. etc...

That is what I was told.

That seems wrong to me because Fateweaver, Eldrad and Ahriman could dispel anything on a 3+. More likely, I would think you compare mastery levels between the casting psyker and the dispelling psyker, and apply a bonus that way. This is conjecture. What I wrote above is what I was told.

What I also don't know is if there is a dice limit a psyker can use to cast or dispel a power based on their mastery level. I also don't know if you need two 6's to dispel a ML2 power. I assume you do.

You would figure Adamantium Will would give you +1 to DTW for powers cast at a unit with that rule.

Jink Save

Jink is a 4+, however it is no longer always on. You must declare a jink to claim it, and if you do so, it's snapshots only in the next phase.

Sweeping Advance

Unchanged. You do not consolidate into a new combat.

And that's all I got that's new! So you can go runtelldat.
And posted on /tg/:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
From Bell of Lost Sense:
Warhammer 7th Edition: Price: roughly $80

Edition is presented in a new format, 3 hardcover books in a slipcover. Pagecount of all three is about 450 pages in total:

The Rulebook: @200 pages, only rules

The Grimdark: @128 pages - Fluff and history of the Warhammer universe

The Hobby: @114 pages - Full miniatures and hobby book. All splash pics, and intro to the hobby stuff.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm a little worried about the DTW dice also being D6+Mastery.

I hope the psychic phase doesn't devolve into a fantasy-eque "bring a lvl 4 or go home" type game. Also, I wonder how they will FAQ my GK's the aegis ability...

Just imagine a MSU GK army. With all those lvl 1 psykers, you'd be lucky to get a single cast off... :s

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
More regarding the stuff posted earlier from the Daemons blog:
A small correction on the Psychic Powers. The defending player must roll a number of sucesses equal to the sucesses rolled by the casting player. So if I cast a level 1 power with three sucesses my opponet needs three sucesses to cancel it.
Also this has not been posted but I think it might make a few people happy. Strength D has changed.
D weapons:
1 nothing
2-5 D3 hull points/wounds
6 crazy
However Strength D no longer ignores cover/ Invuls

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
From the Daemons 40k blog:

And posted on /tg/:

Yeah I just saw this ^^

My immediate thoughts went straight to my Mono-Tzeentch lists: x2 lvl 3 sorcs, thousand sons squads, pink horrors and a lord of change...That's like 15 warp charge points per turn. That's A LOT of summoning of extra Daemons, and I will be sacrificing the 1ksons Sorcerers to summon additional Lords of Change whenever possible lol Psykers are powerful beings and this is hopefully a rules change that will reflect that better. Should be fun times ahead!
Suddenly I am feeling quite excited for 7th edition. Not just the psychic power changes, but I think 'Unbounded' armies are going to give us the ability to play fluffy themed armies: 100% Jump Pack Raven Guard armies? Go ahead. An armoured fist IG regiment with no guardsmen? Sure, why not. An army of Inquisitor warbands or Sternguard? You get the picture...
I think this is very much the kind of game GW want us to play, they have just made it crystal clear now for all the people who didn't get it with the 6th ed rulebook: It's a casual game. Of course, we could've played it this way all along (and probably should have, since GW make it clear they encourage you to play it how you want to play it), but now GW have "sanctioned" it for the masses...

241 - 260 of 642 Posts