Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

201 - 220 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
I just hope there are typos. It isn't a GW rulebook without the occasional and completely random spelling mistake / gramatical error. The 6th ed BBB was far too polished for my tastes.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
If GW's goal with this rush edition is to pad their financial report, they're in for a rude awakening if they actually nerf the allies chart just 1 year and 8 months after encouraging people to buy armies with allies in mind. I think that actually could send so many tempers flaring, and investments ruined, that GW kills itself once and for all.

I don't care personally though, I play house rules locally. But I think after this release, there's either going to be a massive collaborative community development of non-GW rules, or a surge of second-hand market minis unlike anything we've ever seen before - followed by a deep crisis at GW.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Should be interesting. I know most of the local gamers here are not excited about this at all.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just had this off my local GW shop's facebook feed (accompanied by a pic of the two posters). Seems to be implying that these rumours are part of a big summer campaign rather than a whole new rule-set.

Why not pop in today and make your painting pledge towards the army you want to use in the Warhammer 40,000 campaign that starts on the 5th of June. Any completed pledges give you an awesome bonus that you can use in game. Come into store today and find out what those bonus' are!
I can see it as a pretty clever way of introducing new rules on an experimental basis with no long term commitment for themselves. That OR the local manager/GW's policy is to throw this in as a red herring.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Found on Dakka, take with salt:
So, last night someone from The Overlords Podcast group on Facebook posted these tidbits. Hopefully they don't mind if they're posted elsewhere. There's some interesting things to chew on here.

-- So Guys I heard from a pretty reliable source that got to sit down with the book for a few minutes here is what I can remember from what was said.

1. 4ed consolidate in to combat is in
2. If you fail to cast a power you can't cast it the rest of the game
3. Every unit including vehicles will now score
4. Unbound armies may not contest objectives
5. Lords of war are in
6. Escalation and stronghold remaine as they are now
7. Vehicles will be harder to kill the chart changes once more.
8. The book will come out in 3 options Art like warhammer visions, Fluff book, and one that only contains rules and that one is about as think as the current SM book.
9.difficult terrain is just -2 inches
10. Wound allocation has changed a bit.not super clear as to how.
11. D-weapons toned down but he was unclear as what that meant so from the sounds of it they will still be super ugly. --

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
1. 4ed consolidate in to combat is in
2. If you fail to cast a power you can't cast it the rest of the game
3. Every unit including vehicles will now score
4. Unbound armies may not contest objectives
5. Lords of war are in
6. Escalation and stronghold remaine as they are now
7. Vehicles will be harder to kill the chart changes once more.
8. The book will come out in 3 options Art like warhammer visions, Fluff book, and one that only contains rules and that one is about as think as the current SM book.
9.difficult terrain is just -2 inches
10. Wound allocation has changed a bit.not super clear as to how.
11. D-weapons toned down but he was unclear as what that meant so from the sounds of it they will still be super ugly. --

Calling bullshit on everything except vehicles getting tougher and D-weapons being toned down if they're even in the main rules at all.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't know, these latest "rumours" seem pretty reasonable, I especially like the unbound armies cannot contest objectives, will stop WAAC players in tournies being nobs. The inability to cast a psychic power for the rest of the game seems harsh but not broken and I think it right that vehicles should be harder to kill, I'm sorry but 4 glances on a land raider should not mean it's destruction

·
Registered
325 Posts
Einharjer, all the rules will be the same regardless of which book they are in so to say he sat down with the book when there are 3 variants coming out isn't something I would read anything into

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I don't know, these latest "rumours" seem pretty reasonable, I especially like the unbound armies cannot contest objectives, will stop WAAC players in tournies being nobs.
Honestly, how many times is contesting Objectives that relevant? I rarely see a contested objective - either nobody has the objective, or it's been taken by one side or the other. Not often that there are two people on an objective come game's end.

Being able to Tank Shock onto objectives to contest/score them could make a comeback though. Necrons will be an absolute nightmare, with AV13 4HP scoring units.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Contesting has been the difference between a win and a draw at tournie many a time

For me at least lol

Also think about it, if unbound armies can't contest then all you've got to do to win is get within 3" of your opponents objectives if they're unbound to claim them as your own

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Also think about it, if unbound armies can't contest then all you've got to do to win is get within 3" of your opponents objectives if they're unbound to claim them as your own
Easier said than done if I bring 3 Land Raider Achilles and park them on objectives. If you want to make it difficult for people to get within 3" of an objective, it's very definitely do-able, especially when you can bring anything disregarding the FOC.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
More from Dakka:
Minor rumor. Take this with a grain of salt, the source is an independent stockist.

Source tells me the cost of the new book is right around $100. There's some special edition stuff that will be available to FLGS retailers - dice, cards, templates, etc. Limited edition variants of the book are web-only.

He has a large inventory of existing 6th edition books. He was told the new book will make up for his losses. It sells for more than 6th edition and claims players will need new copies, the existing books are obsolete.
I am going to be dissapoint if the book is $100. I only got a budget of that much for the new release and I it's intended for the book AND the cards.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hmmmm, true. But that is about half your points allocation on 3 units and if I were to simply move up to the side of your land raider that would be within 3" of the objective underneath, it's not as if they're 7.5" wide

·
Registered
585 Posts
Don't think i'll bother with the big rules book this time around. I'll probably wait for the box set to come out (if it does). Anybody remember how long Dark Vengeance took to come out after the last BRB release? (Seems like yesterday!)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Hmmmm, true. But that is about half your points allocation on 3 units and if I were to simply move up to the side of your land raider that would be within 3" of the objective underneath, it's not as if they're 7.5" wide
If you can move right up to the Land Raiders parked on objectives, something's gone wrong, but this isn't the place to discuss the finer points of tactics, so back to the rumours:

£60 for the rulebook is insanely pricy but is hardly far-fetched. I'll wait for the starter set, I think; although if the rulebook is £60, I dread to think how much the starter set will be.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
If you can move right up to the Land Raiders parked on objectives, something's gone wrong, but this isn't the place to discuss the finer points of tactics, so back to the rumours:

£60 for the rulebook is insanely pricy but is hardly far-fetched. I'll wait for the starter set, I think; although if the rulebook is £60, I dread to think how much the starter set will be.
In GW's defense, the new BRB is rumored to have 670ish pages while the 6th ed has 440.

201 - 220 of 642 Posts