So this is what I've come up with

TOTAL 750pts

HQ 95pts
Rune priest, ML1, phychic hood, rune axe,

Troops 435pts
9 grey hunters, wolf guard(pair wolfclaws), 2 flames, standard, rhino
10 grey hunters), 2 flames, rhino

Heavy support 220pts
5 Long fangs, 2 plasma cannon, 2 lascannon, razor back( lascannon)

I'm planning on putting rune priest with long fangs in razor back to hopeful give shrouded too keep the long fangs alive and keep back in support because he'll not do well in a challenge. Long fangs to hold back and drop armour and troops with plasma they will reach any where in the board.
Grey hunters with wolf guard to secure obj furthest away and use flames for over watch and anti infantry.
Other unit of GH secure back field obj.
I could swop out long fangs for a stormfang with abit of rejigging.

Not much to go on but that's what I've got I always struggle at low points.
Any advice welcome
Thanks guys

·
Registered
434 Posts
Did you mean ML2 for the Rune Priest?

I also hate lower point games like these. Luckily SWs give us some great options for saving points!

Back in 5th edition Razorspam was king for me. 6th killed it, but I still took 2nd place in a 1500pt 8 person tourney once. 7th and the new Vehicle damage table has made me smile again. For 165 points you can bring 5 Grey Hunters with a melta and a las/plas razorback. Now with Blood Claws not sucking terribly, and at 750 you won't need much melta, for 140pts you can get 5 Claws with a flamer and a Las/Plas or on the short board, Assault Cannons.

You can really save points on long fangs by running a bones cheap 3 man with 2x Plasmacannon. I've even run a squad or two like this in larger games because so many people ignore them for some reason, but at 75pts they will demolish a small terminator squad or pull firepower away from more expensive units.

SW also get the cheapest Dreads around. I love my 115pt rifleman build. A bit excessive on range for the short board though. I'd like to field something like

Wolf Guard Battle Leader (No Upgrades)
Dreadnought with MM and Pod
3x Blood Claw squads with Flamers and TLAC Razorbacks
and the 3 man Plasma Long Fangs.

750 on the nose, 6 Objective Secured "units", lots of medium strength firepower, flamers for xenos and a single drop pod melta for that asshole bringing Leman Russes.

Your list definitely has more staying power than mine. I was just looking for max damage output and at such low points, a drop pod dread would make them soil themselves turn 1 and make mistakes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers I Deffo like the drop pod melta, this low points piss me off always feels like I'm missing something but I suppose it is quite challenging to get right.
would you run a small list with out any psychic ability ?
Do you think it's worth dropping the razor back and spending else where or keep it for the extra laz ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
The new psyker rules have made me either go "lots" or "none". Grey Knights, Deamons and Inquisition can pull out tons of psychic dice. It's hard to compete with that because they'll be denying your powers every turn and will have enough dice that you can't do much against theirs. So I will generally save the points and get more shooty (unless I'm the one running GK or Inq).

In lower points games you really have to make every point count. Just remember everyone else is limited too. I save points by ignoring most upgrades and bringing more bodies (or vehicles).

And I normally wouldn't use the TL AssCan in larger games outside of BA or Inquisition but on a 4x4 table the SW ones can hold the center of the table so well, especially with your drop pod blocking LOS and the dread drawing fire for the 4 razorback advance (I mean't to add another TLAC Razor for the LFs to make it 750). Those 16 rending shots are very versitile at this point level as you won't see multiple MCs, too much AV14, or huge 40+ model hordes. It also helps those poor little blood claws up their shooting ability. I definitely prefer Grey Hunters with CCWs, but this is a battle on a budget.

I know rhino chassis tend to give up first blood a lot, so if you're not going first, it'd be worth screening those razorbacks with each other and then the front two or so with your infantry if there's no good terrain to duck behind.

I imagine at 750, most lists would look something like 2 or 3 minimum sized bike squads with a thunderfire cannon or speeders, a leman russ with some veterans, imperial fist devistator squad and a handful to terminators, Dark Eldar venoms who will have very little anti-tank, Eldar wave serpents with bikes, and the only one I can imagine with flyers could be necrons. But they are mostly anti-infantry and the cron player wouldn't have many points for chariots or ghost arks. I'd just ignore the flyers and go cheap mech. But that's just me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Ohh. I can also imagine a 2 Dreadknight, 1 GKSS/Terminator build from the Grey Knights or a mini Tau gunline. Not much I know to do against the Tau though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts