Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright this weekend ill be done with finals and one of my friends has a tournament set up for the 750pt level to try to get people interested in the game and also get people to start armies that are debating. This is the list I was thinking about running

HQ
Farseer w/ Doom, RoWarding @ 95

Troops
5 Pathfinders @ 120

6 Jetbikes /w 2 cannons @ 152

Elites
6 Howling Banshees- Exarch w/ Mirror swords, war shout @ 118
Wave Serpent w/ Cannons, SS @ 110

Heavy Support
Wraith Lord w/ BL, EML @ 155

Total 750

Armies I know that will be represented include (could include others)
SM (rhino heavy)
SM (All foot with dreads)
orks (trucks)
Tau (mech/ Battle suits)
Chaos (lash/ oblit heavy)
Tyranids (MC heavy)
Tyranids (genestealer heavy)
Necrons (destroyers)

So I’m just hoping for comments and tweaks that I can test out before this weekend. Looking to stay away from a generic Mech Eldar feel where 5 man DA squads huddle and pray in the wreckage of their tanks. There are points awarded for best looking army as well as unique lists. Ultimately it does come down to games won though and I realize that.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
122 Posts
Alright this weekend ill be done with finals and one of my friends has a tournament set up for the 750pt level to try to get people interested in the game and also get people to start armies that are debating. This is the list I was thinking about running

HQ
Farseer w/ Doom, RoWarding @ 95
Do you expect enemy psykers at this point level? I dont think you need RoW.

Troops
5 Pathfinders @ 120

6 Jetbikes /w 2 cannons @ 152

Elites
6 Howling Banshees- Exarch w/ Mirror swords, war shout @ 118
Wave Serpent w/ Cannons, SS @ 110
Executioner is better (math hammer). War shout dont work most of the time (LD 10 marines, crons, fearless orks).

Heavy Support
Wraith Lord w/ BL, EML @ 155
For that many pts you could take Prism. I dont think you will face many wehicles with better AV than 12 at 750 pts. So Prism may be better option. Scater laser & Shuricannon is better against AV 12 or lower than BL! (math hammer)

Total 750

Armies I know that will be represented include (could include others)
SM (rhino heavy)
SM (All foot with dreads)
orks (trucks)
Tau (mech/ Battle suits)
Chaos (lash/ oblit heavy)
Tyranids (MC heavy)
Tyranids (genestealer heavy)
Necrons (destroyers)

So I’m just hoping for comments and tweaks that I can test out before this weekend. Looking to stay away from a generic Mech Eldar feel where 5 man DA squads huddle and pray in the wreckage of their tanks. There are points awarded for best looking army as well as unique lists. Ultimately it does come down to games won though and I realize that.
Thanks in advance
Your list is fast except Wraithlord & Pathfinders. If you drop them for more Jetbikes & Prism you will be all mobile.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason i took RoWarding is that the chaos player uses lash heavily and both SM players run librarians and i cant see where 15 points would be better used than at least making them think twice rather than spamming lash and that damn SM teleporting power.

Im curious as to whether the executioner is better than the mirror swords the banshees will ALWAYS have doom i just thought the extra 2 attacks that are reroll able would work out to more wounds

As for the Prism, i know everyone loves it but I really hate it, it just isnt meant for anti-armor, a las cannon that hits 1/3 of the time no thank you, the only thing i would take it for is the dispersed beam which makes the list completely void of anti-tank

As to the wraith lord, I know that scatter lasers are much better for AV10-11 but I know i will be facing predators which the Str6 is useless against. There will also be a few oblits on the table which the BL forces the 5++ and will instant death on a fail. I completely agree with you as to the over priced BL in there but I just dont know what will do the job better

·
Registered
122 Posts
So lets do some math:

lest have a situation against SM (WS4 T4):
Swords: 4x 3/6 x 2/6 = 4/6
Executioner: 2x 3/6 x 4/6 = 4/6
If you doom target every turn:
Swords: 4x 3/6 x (2/6+4/6x2/6) = 10/9 = 111%
Executioner: 2x 3/6 x (4/6+2/6x4/6) = 8/9 = 88%
Swords are better only if doomed but not much

now against WS4 T5:
Swords: 4x 3/6 x 1/6 = 2/6
Executioner: 2x 3/6 x 3/6 = 3/6
Swords: 4x 3/6 x (1/6+5/6x1/6) = 11/18
Executioner: 2x 3/6 x (3/6+3/6x3/6) = 3/4
Executioner is better in both

now against WS4 T3:
Swords: 4x 3/6 x 3/6 = 1
Executioner: 2x 3/6 x 5/6 = 5/6
Swords: 4x 3/6 x (3/6+3/6x3/6) = 3/2
Executioner: 2x 3/6 x (5/6+1/6x5/6) = 35/36
Swords are better in both

against wehicles executioner is only option, swords cant hurt them

So in the end swords are better against low T oponents, Executioner aganst high T and can hurt AV10 & 11 vehicles (I know, its useless, but its fact).

Im using executioner since my SM player is heavy on bikes. And i dont like many rolls (fewer rolls = fewer things to screw).
Yes if you doom target every turn swords are better, i just thinked you will doom Wraithlord target (since farseer must be near due to wraithsight).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks for the math ill just have to play test it a little more to see if I can consistently keep the farseer in the area. Most of the time i just let wraith sight happen because having the banshees target doomed will impact the game more than if the Lord just chills for a turn

·
Registered
122 Posts
Doom for your banshees:

your 6 banshees against SM (WS4 T4) without doom:
Swords: 4x 3/6 x 2/6 = 4/6
5 banshees: 10x 3/6 x 2/6 = 10/6
14/6 = 2,33 death

Swords: 4x 3/6 x (2/6+4/6x2/6) = 10/9
5 banshees: 10x 3/6 x (2/6+4/6x2/6) = 25/9
35/9 = 3,88 death