Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
So after some time of playing Dwarfs in WHFB I've decided to start palying 40k and think CSM and expecially thousand sons are cool.

+ HQ + (90pts)

* Sorcerer (90pts)
Aura of dark glory, Mark of Tzeentch
* Power Armour
Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon

+ Elites + (163pts)

* Chaos Terminators (163pts)
* Terminator
Combi-melta
* Terminator
Combi-melta
* Terminator
Combi-flamer
* Terminator Champion
Chainfist, Combi-flamer

+ Troops + (357pts)

* Chaos Cultists (52pts)
9x Autopistol, 10x Squad models (champion included)
* Champion's upgrade
Cultist Champion's Shotgun

* Thousand Sons (305pts)
Aspiring Sorcerer, 9x Thousand Son
* Chaos Rhino
Dozer Blade

+ Heavy Support + (140pts)

* Obliterators (140pts)
2x Obliterator

So the idea was to use units with invuln saves to add mark of Tzeentch but its too expensive at this level, I still want to play those units to add marks at a higher level tho.

Do you think this army will preform ok?

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
The Terminator unit might be slightly overloaded. I would either go for melting or flaming. Given the lack of anti-vehicle, I suggest melting.

You lack anti-flyer; adding an Aegis with autocannons would give you some and give you some defence for the cultists if your opponent puts an objective in the open in your zone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since its just the single use combi weapons I figured it would be good to have some tools vs different enemies but maybe you're right, the combi weapons are nice that way, they all cost the same so I can switch around with what works after a few games.
Also mind that I do have the Obliterators for anti vehicle.

I'm sorry but what is a Aegis and where can i read about it in the books?

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
I favour being great at one thing over being reasonable at several, so for one shot weapons would go with all the same; swapping between games is a good way to find out which suits your style better though.

My TS got wiped in every game where they had a flyer and I didn't have skyfire, so I might just be too cautious; the obliterators won't do terribly.

Aegis Defence Line: a fortification formed of a series of small walls, that can be upgraded to had an Interceptor Skyfire Quad-gun/Las-Cannon; it is in Stronghold Assault.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
at 750 points I would not worry about flyers. Any one who brings one is going to have to take a major ding in effectives.

Maybe taking Malefic to pull some demons from the warp, it's risky, but just doing it once will get you a major point lead (when we talk percent's of total) when your less then 1000

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I am tempted to go demonology, I only get 1 spell that isn't Tzeentch so it has to be a school that has a good Primaris.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Maybe taking Malefic to pull some demons from the warp, it's risky, but just doing it once will get you a major point lead (when we talk percent's of total) when your less then 1000
Yea I am tempted to go demonology, I only get 1 spell that isn't Tzeentch so it has to be a school that has a good Primaris.
+ HQ + (90pts)

* Sorcerer (90pts)
Aura of dark glory, Mark of Tzeentch
* Power Armour
Bolt Pistol, Force Weapon
He's not going to be casting much with a lvl 1 sorcerer without a spell familiar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That is very true, forgot that I removed his additional level. Maybe I should squeeze it back in because I really want to play with magic.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
at 750 pts you should forget about magic, imo, and bring it back at 1500 pts (expecially with costly troops as Tsons)
an aegis list with quadgun in this edition is not going to help a lot, since it will cost you 100 pts...for that points you can almost get an extra 3 melta terminators!
i think the list will be ok, just keep in mind that, sadly, Tsons are very hard to use properly, and have their golden spot at 1750-2000 pts, where you can take two units without being penalized pointwise. A personal preference of me would be to drop the fist terminator and the cultists and to add another rhino, then make 2 units of 5-6 Tsons and if points allow that give MoTzeentch on the oblits

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the idea of 2 squads with tsons in tanks, that would also take me up to 3 magicians making magic even more worth. Maybe just level 2 on the sorc so I can get primaris demonology, with 4 additional dice I should be able to get some demons out.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I can get primaris demonology, with 4 additional dice I should be able to get some demons out.
if you go daemonology you will need to get a spell familiar. otherwise you are just dead :p reroll psy-test is golden this edition

·
Registered
773 Posts
Not to mention that you really want to be a daemon if your are going malefic spells as all doubles are perils otherwise. And that Malefic Primus and most of the other spells are 3 WC what normally means rolling 5-6 dice to attempt to get it off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
+ HQ + (100pts)

* Sorcerer (100pts)
Mark of Tzeentch
* Terminator Armour
Combi-bolter, Force Weapon

+ Elites + (130pts)

* Chaos Terminators (130pts)
Mark of Tzeentch
* Terminator
* Terminator
Combi-flamer
* Terminator Champion
Chainfist, Combi Bolter

+ Troops + (380pts)

* Thousand Sons (Troops) (190pts)
Aspiring Sorcerer, 4x Thousand Son
* Chaos Rhino
Combi-bolter, Dozer Blade, Searchlight, Smoke launchers

* Chaos Rhino

* Obliterators (140pts)
2x Obliterator

I'm tempted to try something like this, with the sorc in the terminator group they will be a bit more powerful with both spells and another body. It also grants them some chance to deny the witch on better then 6+.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am now considering making it more simple like this

+ HQ + (100pts)

* Sorcerer (100pts
Mark of Tzeentch, Sigil of corruption
* Power Armour
Bolt Pistol

+ Elites + (120pts)

* Helbrute (120pts)
Reaper autocannon
* Power fist
Heavy flamer

+ Troops + (389pts)

* Chaos Cultists (102pts)
Champion's upgrade, 23x Squad models (champion included)

* Thousand Sons (Troops) (287pts)
Aspiring Sorcerer, 8x Thousand Son
* Chaos Rhin
Combi-bolter, Dirge caster, Dozer Blade, Searchlight, Smoke launchers

* Obliterators (140pts)
2x Obliterator

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Honestly, I like the idea of bringing termis more than a Helbrute, so the previous list before the latter. Plus I like the idea of your rawlord being in Termi armor. I would try to stick a few combi-weapons in the Termis rather than just the one--I'd probably go with 3 combi-plasma, at this points level. Or melta, but that's what the chainfist is for.

Cultists are a solid investment, though--you could well stick the Sorc into them to give them a higher Ld and him more ablative wounds. I would really try to get at least ML2 on the sorc, though, and would probably roll on Telepathy, honestly--the chance at Invisibility or Shrouding is very cool. Or Psychic Shriek, against low-LD enemies. Though Biomancy has some very good options, too...

I cannot help but think those Rhinos are loaded down with too many upgrades. Like, dozer blades? I'd much rather have MoT on my Obliterators, thank you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
With no experience is so hard to choose between all the setups and equipment, for example I have no idea how I'm actually going to use these tanks.

I'm going to start off with the cultist build because i bought the DV box some time ago (stupid non-multipart box) and it would be about 40% cheaper for me to get started that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Squeezed a mastery level in there and split up the cultist squad so I can run it as a Helcult

+ HQ + (118pts)

* Sorcerer (118pts)
Additional Mastery Level, Aura of dark glory, Mark of Tzeentch
* Power Armour
Combi-bolter

+ Elites + (115pts)

* Helbrute (115pts)
Multi-melta
* Power fist
Heavy flamer

+ Troops + (377pts)

* Chaos Cultists (50pts)
10x Squad models (champion included)

* Chaos Cultists (50pts)
10x Squad models (champion included)

* Thousand Sons (Troops) (277pts)
Aspiring Sorcerer, 8x Thousand Son
* Chaos Rhino

* Obliterators (140pts)
2x Obliterator

·
Registered
773 Posts
The Helcult formation doesn't count as your minimum requirements, they count as an additional formation added on to the army. So you would need another set of cultists to have your 2 troop choices.
Also I would try to find those 10pts extra to upgrade that sorc AoDG to Sigil of Corruption. For 10pts a 3++ is better than the 4++ by a long way.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
+ HQ + (100pts)

* Sorcerer (100pts)
Mark of Tzeentch
* Terminator Armour
Combi-bolter, Force Weapon

+ Elites + (130pts)

* Chaos Terminators (130pts)
Mark of Tzeentch
* Terminator
* Terminator
Combi-flamer
* Terminator Champion
Chainfist, Combi Bolter

+ Troops + (380pts)

* Chaos Rhino

* Chaos Rhino

* Obliterators (140pts)
2x Obliterator

I'm tempted to try something like this, with the sorc in the terminator group they will be a bit more powerful with both spells and another body. It also grants them some chance to deny the witch on better then 6+.
I strongly support this list (to be revised, still) against the helbrute one. This all the day, much more competittive and dynamic

·
Registered
159 Posts
a thought would be drop the Aura and replace it with a Sigil of Corruption, that way with the mark you get a 3+ invuln which is as low as you can legally make it which helps the squish not squish

1 - 20 of 26 Posts