Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was in a two on two pickup game; came up with the following list for it but then before we could play half the players had to leave and the other guy ditched me just before we began to play. (Vassal, no real life mind you)

So felt like giving the list a run, put it up and here and see what people think, and everything in between.

HQ:
Cassius

Troops:
Tactical squad
5x Additional marines; meltagun; missile launcher; powerfist
Razorback

Scout squad
3x Additional scouts; 8x Camo-cloaks; missile launcher

Elites:
Dreadnought
Plasmacannon

Heavy Support:
Predator
Sponson lascannons

Total: 748/750

So what do you all think? C&C very much appreciated, especially over all views and no comments.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
what weapon does the razorback have?

also for a 750 point game I don't really suggest bringing a SC due to their points

but thats just my 2 cents and I should tell you I don't play vanilla often

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a stock razorback, just a twin linked heavy bolter.

As far as taking Cassius, unlike the other characters keep in mind that he is relatively cheap. If I took a chaplain with combi-flamer he would only be ten or fifteen points cheaper than Cassius; and he would not come with the higher toughness of the Ultramarine chaplain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It is a good list but.

First of all i would drop the extra scouts. Since i guess that the tactical is combat squading you all ready have enough units camping at your home objective.
Also with the extra points add a missile launcher to the dread, and maybe turn the plasma cannon into a lascannon making it a rifleman dread.

Also this is from my limited understanding of war40k also i believe any list is good if you know how it play it.

Note: i don't have my codex with me, so i don't know the points exactly.
Also is '' squading'' a word?

Sgt_Tarkus

·
Registered
552 Posts
Don't know if your Scouts have bolters or sniper rifles ( but seeing as you didn't put sniper rifles down I will presume bolters and you didn't forget - you have always seemed an intelligent guy! :eek:k:). If you lose the cloaks and the extra 3 scouts you can get a LSS with HF for them. Give them all combat blades for a versatile unit. Objective rushing late game, handy early assault unit etc, and if you wanted top drop the LC sponsons and swap turrets to TLLC ( I know this kills the multi-function of it so is a very personal -i.e. does it suit you and the circumstances) then you can stick a powerfist on the Sgt for early tank popping too.

However, I am only throwing the ideas in there. Is a really cool list IMO - I love PC on Dreads, don't know why - and you are much more experienced than me, and probably have your own idea of how you will play this list so my ideas might not work with that at all.

Oh yeah, and Cassius is stupidly good for his 25pt hike.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First of all i would drop the extra scouts. Since i guess that the tactical is combat squading you all ready have enough units camping at your home objective.
True, and the three extra scouts were point filler so theres no problem in dropping them.

Also with the extra points add a missile launcher to the dread, and maybe turn the plasma cannon into a lascannon making it a rifleman dread.
The thing about doing that is that by dropping the dreadnought's close combat weapon in order to make him a hellfire dred (I thought twin autocannon dreds were riflemen?) then I really only have on unit that be a threat in close combat. However I do gain a few extra long range shots by doing that..

Gonna have to give both a try and see which one I like better, the hellfire or the plasmanought.

Also is '' squading'' a word
To answer this, no it doesn't look like squading is a real word. (At least firefox spellchecker does not recognize it as such.)

reubiedoo said:
Don't know if your Scouts have bolters or sniper rifles ( but seeing as you didn't put sniper rifles down I will presume bolters and you didn't forget - you have always seemed an intelligent guy! :eek:k:).
Actually, they have sniper rifles; in general I believe that if your scouts have a heavy weapon and are making use of camo-cloaks, its probably not a half bad idea to give the rest the longer ranged sniper rifles. Its not like bolters are going to be as effective against vehicles or monstrous creatures after all.

reubiedoo said:
If you lose the cloaks and the extra 3 scouts you can get a LSS with HF for them. Give them all combat blades for a versatile unit. Objective rushing late game, handy early assault unit etc,
Now that is an interesting choice, and coupled with finding the points for a hellfire dred could help reduce the loss of my second close combat unit.

reubiedoo said:
and if you wanted top drop the LC sponsons and swap turrets to TLLC ( I know this kills the multi-function of it so is a very personal -i.e. does it suit you and the circumstances) then you can stick a powerfist on the Sgt for early tank popping too.
Like I said before, I'll definitely look into this idea; other than the auto/las pred the las turret is a personal favorite of mine.

reubiedoo said:
However, I am only throwing the ideas in there. Is a really cool list IMO - I love PC on Dreads, don't know why -
Yeah I don't know why either, its possible because they have the potential to take out all but the heaviest of armour while still being a decent threat to troops. That and I started using it with Bjorn, who's BS of 6 makes scattering a joke.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So taking in those suggestions I came up with the following list:

HQ:
Cassius

Troops:
Tactical squad
5x Additional marines; meltagun; missile launcher; powerfist
Razorback

Scout squad
Powerfist

Elites:
Dreadnought
Plasmacannon; missile launcher

Fast Attack:
Land speeder storm

Heavy Support:
Predator
Twin linked lascannon

Total: 745

Unfortunately, in the end it comes down to either the storm or the twin linked lascannon on the dred. Otherwise I might as well stick to sniper scouts and be out a close combat unit. Also don't have the points for the multi-melta on the storm, because once again its either that or the dreds missile launcher, in which case why am I even bothering to make up for the close combat unit I don't have to make up for?

Alternatively, I could drop the storm and the dred missile launcher, put the scouts back to sniper duty and have enough points for a regular landspeeder with dual heavy bolters, from there I would need to find another five points and I could go a heavy bolter/multi-melta combo.

Any other idea's?

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I never use CC Scouts, the prove useless generally imo. I always take Camo Cloaks and Snipers, occasionally with Telion - Usually, having a missile launcher with Telion.

But doing this then takes you back to your original list, but I personally think its strong imho.

I think the storm is really only useful for deepstriking, and if you really want to move some sniper scouts around. But they're not my kettle of fish personally.

All imo! :)

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But doing this then takes you back to your original list, but I personally think its strong imho.
And from experience it actually is fairly strong, well strong against tau anyway (seeing as everyone I've fought so far is Tau and gives me a run for my money rather than a push-over. Give me Necrons or Daemons dammit!)

So any thoughts on dropping the three additional scouts for Telion maybe? For the snipers scouts that is, no point in him for the close combat variant.

·
Registered
159 Posts
When I look at this, the 6 killpoints jump out to me, which is the maximum of what you should have at 750. The scouts are an easy killpoint for the enemy, plus in Sieze Ground you'll depend upon them for a point, but they will struggle to hold one. The dreadnaught gives you enough firepower for 750 which lacks vehicles. My suggestion is dropping the scouts and predator and picking up another tactical squad, gaining much flexibility

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of setup would you suggest with them Izzleydill?

As far as struggling, the scouts certainly won't be when they are getting shot at, cover equal to their armour save or power armour does make them harder to kill from what I've seen as of late. (One guy dedicated upwards of six fireknives to taking them out on more than one turn; thats a fair amount of points spent trying, and failing, to kill 150 points.)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have to say, scout are one of my favorite units out there. i have had a nice experience with my storm by getting a 5 man scout squad with bolters and getting them to mow down small squads as the landspeeder gives them a little more protection.

I say your list looks solid but not a fan of razorbacks.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm normally one for rhino's myself, but the fact that I will generally be combat squadding and could do with an extra heavy weapon really lent the razorback to that choice.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts