Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am participating in a 750 pt, 3 game tournament this weekend and I am trying to carve down my 1000 pt Blood Angels (Angels Encarmine) list to a 750 pt list.

My 1000 pt list is as follows:

• 130 - Reclusiarch -> rides with death company
    • Bolt Pistol & Crozius
  • 75 - Sanguinary Priest -> rides with assault squad
    • Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Jump Pack
  • 185 - Death Company (5)
    • Thunder Hammer
    • Razorback
      • Twin-linked Heavy Bolters
  • 235 - Assault Squad (10)
    • Meltagun x2, Power Fist
  • 230 - Tactical Squad (10) -> generally split into combat squads
    • Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher
    • Rhino
  • 145 - Baal Predator
    • Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Now, I need to carve down this list to 750 pts. I say this list mainly because these are the only models I have and have assembled.

My first crack at the list is:
  • 130 - Reclusiarch -> will probably ride with one 5 man combat squad
    • Bolt Pistol & Crozius
  • 75 - Sanguinary Priest -> will probably ride with one 5 man combat squad
    • Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Jump Pack
  • 225 - Assault Squad (10) -> probably will be split into combat squads
    • Meltagun x2, Power Sword
  • 170 - Tactical Squad (10) -> generally split into combat squads
    • Flamer, Missile Launcher
  • 145 - Baal Predator
    • Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Which comes to 745 pts.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I don't know if the priest is worth having in this list, but not including him does give you a fair amount of points to work with. From what you have in the 1k list, I would suggest the following:

HQ:
Chaplain

Troops:
Assault squad
5x Additional marines, 1x meltagun, powerfist

Tactical squad
5x Additional marines, plasmagun, missile launcher, power weapon
Rhino

Fast Attack:
Baal predator
Heavy bolter sponsons

Total comes to 745, to which you could drop the plasmagun of the tactical squad down to a meltagun in order to get the second melta in the assault squad and be at an even 750.

It doesn't have the priest, but you are still able to make use of twenty one marines, one transport, and one tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see your point with dropping the priest.

I do like the list you suggest as I still have the mobility of the rhino for may tactical squad.

My one problem now would be what to do with the chaplain. I feel that it would be a waste to put him with one of the tactical combat squads and run around in the rhino, while a jump pack would cost 15 pts....

Maybe:

HQ:
Chaplain
Jump Pack

Troops:
Assault squad
x4 Additional marines, 1x meltagun, powerfist

Tactical squad
5x Additional marines, plasma gun, missile launcher, storm bolter
Rhino

Fast Attack:
Baal predator
Heavy bolter sponsons

I'm at 740 with this slight change. I removed one of the assault marines, added a jump pack to the reclusiarch, and switched the tactical sergeants power sword for a storm bolter.

I don't plan on having my tactical combat squads in close combat (but I guess nothing goes the way you plan it). Is it worth switching the storm bolter back to a power sword and dropping the plasma gun to a melta gun? Would leave me with 747 pts.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Yes it would likely be a better idea to do that. Though you might not plan on having the combat squad assault, the plasmagun, meltagun, and bolter are still all medium to short range weapons that will likely see you in assault range or assaulted soon. Having a weapon that can deny armour saves will help to whittle down the number of attackers, even if your unit still falls in the end.

If a jump pack on your reclusiarch costs about the price of a tactical marine, how come his price went up to 155? Shouldn't he cost the same as the Baal with a jump pack?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jump pack on (most/all) characters is 25 pts, so dropping a single marine doesn't quite make up the points.

So, maybe I will drop that plasma gun to a meltagun and switch the storm bolter for a power weapon.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Droppiing a Marine from the Assault Squad isn't the best choice because you are going to want as much of a hit as possible with those guys when in CC, and one Marine makes a huge difference. I run an all jump pack army and Sanguinary Priests help out a lotttt in my Assault Squads, their my favorite points dump by far

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with you, I would like a full 10 man assault squad, but I don't know where else to find the points. If I drop a tactical marine instead, I lose both the special and heavy weapons because you can't upgrade unless you have a 10 man squad.

Thank you for the advice though. If anyone else has any, please throw it in the pot.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Chaplain can't be a HQ, so that'll be a Reclusiarch with a JP which is 155. Personally, I'd take a Librarian with a JP (125), give him Rage & Blood Lance or Rage & Sword of Sang. You're getting a HQ that's cheaper & with Rage can do what the Reclusiarch can do (pretty much, aside from make the unit fearless) but, importantly you get a psychic hood & an extra ability so he can do lots more (like say, split multiple armored targets open), plus at such a low level he'll have more of an impact &... I do believe the extra 30 points saved would be handy?

Librarians are the bargain of the codex so I'd simply invest in one :)

Dallas

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Chaplain can't be a HQ, so that'll be a Reclusiarch with a JP which is 155.
A reclusiarch is a type of chaplain; there are many ranks within that area, from a chaplain initiate, to a reclusiarch, a master of sanctity, and maybe a few more.

·
Registered
990 Posts
A reclusiarch is a type of chaplain; there are many ranks within that area, from a chaplain initiate, to a reclusiarch, a master of sanctity, and maybe a few more.
Fair enough, but since a Chaplain is an option in the Elites why not simply call your 'Chaplain' a Reclusiarch a if he's going to be your HQ?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Because Reclusiarch is easier to mess up the spelling of over chaplain.:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice Dallas, I have heard many times that Librarians are great ... especially at lower points. My only problem is I don't have one, and I am trying to build a list based off of what I have.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I think you will do fine with your original list tbh, the one that came out to 745pts. Just keep your priest with your assault marines to tie up your opponents squads, use the tactical squad to soften up their troops and ready them for cc, then just camp out on an objective, outflank with your baal - that thing gets 10 shots, 4 with rending, love it! Only thing I would be worried about is not having a powerfist in your assault squad - if you run into a dread you're in trouble

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, the tournament was today. I ran with the following:

• 155 - Reclusiarch
    • Bolt Pistol, Crozius, & Jump Pack
  • 207 - Assault Squad (9)
    • Meltagun x1, Power Fist
  • 241 - Tactical Squad (10)
    • Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon
    • Rhino[
      • Storm Bolter, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers
  • 146 - Baal Predator
    • Twin-linked Assault Cannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Searchlight, Smoke Launchers

Which comes to 749 pts.

My record was 2-1. I beat another Blood Angels player by quite a bit with victory points, but only narrowly won by objectives. I beat a Chaos Deamons player quite soundly by objectives, but narrowly by victory points. I lost to a Space Wolves player narrowly by objectives and somewhat soundly by victory points.

I feel the list worked quite well as it was. If the assault squad with reclusiarch assaulted a unit, it worked quite well. I do miss the Furious Charge, but 20+ attacks that re-roll to hit is pretty devastating. The tactical squads didn't do much, truthfully, but the baal predator was quite devastating.

Thanks for all the input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts