Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My FLGS is hosting an escalation league, starting from 750, each round increasing by 250 up to 2000 points.

Only catch is that there is a buy in, being 1 HQ choice for the army that you choose to use, and that HQ choice must be in every match. Depending on what happens to the HQ model in each battle, it may receive buffs or debuffs.

I picked the Aspiring Champion model and will run it as a Chaos Lord.

I am not too sure on how to start out the league on the 750 point level.

Here is what I own in terms of Chaos Marines (not including the Chaos lord mentioned above):

Terminator Lord w/ Fist and Claw
Chaos Lord on Juggernaut
DV Chaos Lord
Chaos Sorceror
Cypher (stand in)

40 Chaos Marines
~13 Chosen (3 Plasma Guns, 2 Plasma Pistol, 4 Bolters, rest from DV)

2 Rhinos

1 Heldrake
10 Raptors
3 Bikes

5 Possessed
3 Helbrutes (2 are normal AoBR Dreds, 1 w/ ML and another ranged weapon)

1 Forgefiend

I have access to the Crimson Slaughter supplement and have my full range of Necrons as potential allies.

Only thing I am considering right now is to give my Warlord the Daemonheart for the 2+ save

·
Registered
936 Posts
Your manditory HQ, can you do conversions with him? Nurgle lord on a bike with deamonheart and an axe would be absolutely devastating at this points level.

What kind of army are you going for? How competitive and how fun to play against?
If your looking to win hands down, The helldrake is an auto-include

Take the 3 bikers as nurgle marked with meltas and flesh out the rest with chaos marines.

Wont be fun to play against but should win plenty of matches.

For fun you could do a tide list with as many infantry models as you can ft. max special weapons in each squad and run nurgle bikers again.

Just a few ideas. But really depends on what your trying to go for

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've given some thought to what I could do and this is what I came up with for the 750 point level.

Chaos Lord - Power Weapon, Melta Bombs

9 Chaos Marines - Melta Gun, Rhino

5 Chaos Marines - Plasma Gun

Helbrute - TL Lascannon, ML

Heldrake - Baleflamer

I'm uncertain towards this list. If I owned an ADL, I'd probably have one of those and place a Bare-Bones Chaos Lord on it. However, that isn't the case.

I'm thinking of making the Heldrake take the Hades Autocannon for potential anti-air, as my list lacks that minus the drake's meteoric descent.

I have no idea what I will be facing in this league. The worst thing that I can think of is a Daemon's army that makes use of as many FMC as possible (might not be a problem early on, but as the points climb to 2000, that army would be troublesome).

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Its not a bad looking 750pt list,

I would look at spending the last 7pts on upgrades for the Rhino.. (Dirge Casters maybe)

I would also look at droping the ML from the Helbrute and keep its CC weapon as it lets it be a bit more flexable when fighting things.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not a bad looking 750pt list,

I would look at spending the last 7pts on upgrades for the Rhino.. (Dirge Casters maybe)

I would also look at droping the ML from the Helbrute and keep its CC weapon as it lets it be a bit more flexable when fighting things.
The Helbrute's purpose is anti-vehicle, as I lack other sources of it in this list. I don't intend for it to move up onto the front lines, though the CC weapon would be good incase of deepstrikers.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found out some additional rules that I missed out on for the tournament:

The Warlord that we use has to keep the same weapons and Wargear throughout the campaign, meaning I cannot switch out, drop or add any new wargear, except for any bonuses that he receives based on his performance (he might gain/lose WS, BS, etc. for surviving/dying/killing). For models with the Champion of Chaos, any boons he receives from close combat are carried over (including Dark Apotheosis and Spawnhood).

Fliers cannot be used for games 1000 points or lower. Flying Monsterous Creatures only count as Jump Monsterous Creatures until games above 1000 points.

With this in mind, I repurposed my list:

Chaos Lord: Blade of the Relentless, Daemonheart, Slaughterer's Horns, Sigil of Corruption - 165

9 Chaos Marines - Melta Gun, CCW(replacing bolters), Rhino, Dirge Caster - 177

3 Bikers - 2 Meltas

Helbrute - TL Lascannon, ML

The Chaos Lord may be expensive for the points cost, but again, his wargear stays static throughout the campaign, so I'm thinking in the long term with him.

I was divided between adding the Bikers or adding another Plasma Chaos Marine unit. I figured the bikers will help with anti-vehicle incase the Helbrute goes down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No too fan on brute

Most of the times i had played with them they didn't resist the firs shooting.

It costs about 100pts (i think...) so what about replace him for some chaos havocs? they are versatile and you can put up a squad that can resist better to shooting

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Most of the times i had played with them they didn't resist the firs shooting.

It costs about 100pts (i think...) so what about replace him for some chaos havocs? they are versatile and you can put up a squad that can resist better to shooting
The Helbrute I'm running is 135, so I could easily fit 4 autocannon havocs into that slot.

However, I don't own any havocs of any kind. I don't own any CSM that carries a Heavy Weapon of any sort, nor do I own any loyalist Devastators, so I cannot proxy effectively. And I'm not too keen on getting the finecast kit since it only offers one of each heavy weapon option.

Infact, my heavy support for CSM is rather limited currently, with a Forgefiend being able to fill the spot, which will likely be included in the higher point games of the escalation league.

I also made a slight change and gave the Chaos Lord Melta-bombs in place of the Rhino having a Dirge-Caster.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The Helbrute I'm running is 135, so I could easily fit 4 autocannon havocs into that slot.

However, I don't own any havocs of any kind. I don't own any CSM that carries a Heavy Weapon of any sort, nor do I own any loyalist Devastators, so I cannot proxy effectively. And I'm not too keen on getting the finecast kit since it only offers one of each heavy weapon option.

Infact, my heavy support for CSM is rather limited currently, with a Forgefiend being able to fill the spot, which will likely be included in the higher point games of the escalation league.

I also made a slight change and gave the Chaos Lord Melta-bombs in place of the Rhino having a Dirge-Caster.

The legion autocannon set from forgeworld is an easy alternative. The guns fit perfectly with the regular Csm kit. I have 8 done up this way and they look fantastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts