Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
Hope this is the place to be, going along the lines of Scions are part of the Astra too so best coming down here.

So I'm really loving the new Militarum Temptestus book, great way to get in a new flavour to my army. But I'm coming up against a problem of how to run my scions.

The plan is to run them as an allied detachment to my Ravenguard. The list itself is all about moving up the board and giving the enemy a headache rather than sit home and whimper.
I have roughly 700pts to play with. I have two ideas in my head but not sure on the best way to go, so wondered if you guys could help!

Plan A:
Take a Formation from the Militarum Tempestus – 700pts
Ground Assault
HQ – 110pts
Command Squad (x5)

Commissar

Troops – 270pts
Scions (x5)
-Meltagun (x2)

Scions (x5)
-Meltgun (x2)

Scions (x5)
-Meltagun (x2)

Fast Attack – 320pts
Taurox Prime (x4)
-Autocannons

Formation gives the units twin-linked and pinning on the turn they disembark from their transports. Gives me 3 fast moving scoring units. I feel this formation makes the Primes slightly better in that it gives you plenty of them. Sure they are expensive and quite easy to deal with but that's why you take plenty of them.

Plan B:
Take a detachment from the Astra Dex. I will say that I have not currently got a copy yet, it is on order though. This is currently only a preliminary idea, would need to tote up the points but the general gist is:

HQ
Company Command squad in chimera

Troops
Plasma Vets in chimera
Plasma Vets in chimera

Elites
Scions Platoon
Command Squad
3x Scions (x5) with Meltaguns

Hoping that isn't too far over 700pts. If have the points would go for some outflanking sentinels but would need to see on the old points front. Scions would deepstrike in close to the tanks, rest would power up the board with the rest of the army.

So which do you guys prefer?
Here is the List I have for my primary detachment just for reference.

Raven guard
HQ – 110pts
Chaplain
-Jump pack
-Meltabomb

Troops – 385pts
Tactical Squad (x5)
-Meltagun
-Razorback

Tactical Squad (x5)
-Meltagun
-Razorback

Scouts (x5)
-Shotguns
-Landspeeder Storm
-Multi-melta

Fast Attack – 170pts
Assault Squad (x10)

Heavy Support – 135pts
Devastators (x5)
-Missile Launcher (x3)
- Flakk (x2)

Open to lose the Devastators for more gear if needs be but the I'd rather keep the rest of the Space marine list

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do formation rules work outside of apocalypse?

Also, deep striking these guys is amazing. And the stand alone tempestus orders are really good (twin linked and rending etc). I'm probably using them allied to Guard.

Do note their tanks are paper. I ran a comman squad with 3 plasma guns and pistol plus Medic pack. Was pretty durable even with gets hot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe these formations in the temptestus book are not Apocalypse formations, and can be run in a normal game.

The Orders are very useful, and can add some great flavour to an army.

Yes, the paper thin armour is a bit of an issue, but with re-rolls to dangerous terrain tests due to the All terrain APC rule will make driving these guys into cover viable, hoping for a cover save from the dangers of the outside. There are of course lots of weapons that ignore cover now a days but better than nothing!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The tanks are very thin-armored, yes. But not terribly much different than a Chimera. And the rerolls of dangerous terrain works very well to hide in cover.

Tempestus squads work better, IMHO, with plasma/melta rather than melta/melta. I face a lot of termintors and other heavy infantry, and the extra shot with plasma comes in right handy. And your command squad should be melta melta plasma plasma.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts