Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I just startet the hobby and need some advice for a new Ultramarines army.

What do you thing about the following Army to start with?

*** 1 HQ ***
Space Marine Captain
1x Bolter
1x Powersword

*** 1 Elite ***
Assault Terminators
5x Storm Shield + Thunder Hammer

*** 2 Standard ***
Tactical Marines
10 Space Marines
-Flamethrower
-Missile launcher
+ Razorback

Tactical Marines
10 Space Marines
-Flamethrower
-Missile launcher

==> 695 Pt.

What I have till now:
- Black Reach Box
- Assault Terminator Box
- Land Raider
- Razorback
- Tactical Squad
- 4 Bikes + 1 Trike
- SM Scouts

I´m trying to build a playable Army for the beginning that I can later expand accordingly.

I´m very greatful for any advice. It would be no problem to buy some extra Models if necessary.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well first, its a Powersword not an energysword, the Sergeant isn't an upgrade (you get him when you purchase the squad and you cannot put a 10 man squad in a Razorback as its transport capacity is 6. Now, I'd give the Captain hellfire rounds as well as the Powersword and Bolter. I'd replace the Razorback with a Rhino that carries the first Tactical Squad. Then have the Captain join the second Tactical Squad. Have the Terminators deepstrike and your set for 700 pts. The next thing you would want to assemble is probably the next Tactical Squad as Troops are very important. With three troops for roughly 1000 pt games. You'll be doin most of the seizing objectives (hopefully).

(Also some forum advice: I think its against forum rules to post costs for your units excluding the total cost of the army.)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Your Termies are a loss at games below 1500. With no transport for them a good player will walk them all over the board until he shoots them to death. If you take termies without a trans then take shooty ones with a cyclone launcher so you can engage at 48". Also unless you are running them as Salamanders I would suggest going 3/2 TH/ss and LC to give you attacks at int.

Giving one of your squads a razorback is not bad. You would have to combat squad to transport at the start of the game but just using it as added fire is ok too.

If you are going with 2 tac squads for troop choices look at going with your commander on a bike and adding your 3 bikes and AT to him and make it a scoring unit that hits hard. This will place you at about 750 points. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thx Grinnsira!

Would you go for the Razorback (for Fire support) or with a Rhino (for taking the troops to the frontline).

The Termis could deepstrike (hopefully near the enemy line :biggrin:)

But just with the Termis and the tac squad I´ll have nothing "fast" to score... Hmmm maby I´ll try both ways.

Any other suggestions?

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
Well first, its a Powersword not an energysword, the Sergeant isn't an upgrade (you get him when you purchase the squad and you cannot put a 10 man squad in a Razorback as its transport capacity is 6.
Sorry mate, but you're wrong. You can combat squad them... so you have the flamer and Sgt in the razorback, and the Missile Launcher and 4 extra wounds on the field (in terrain)

Hey, I think you're off to a great start. One of the real strengths of the Space Marines is that you can run a lot of different types of lists. And the style of army will determine your lists.

To give an example, I play a very shooty marine list.... Here's my 1500 list....

Librarian
2x Tac squads in TL Las razorbacks
2x Dreadnought with 2 TL Autocannons
3x Landspeeder Typhoons
3x Predators with Las sponsons

This is going to look a lot different if you want to build your army around Vulcan's ability to make your meltas twin linked.

But, like I said, you're off to a good start.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you kept the razorback you could split the tactical squad to 5 and 5, and add the captain to the group that goes inside the tank. if you run twin linked las cannons on that tank you have added fire support for busting armor.

Where if you want to captain to go with the rhino tactical squad, you can only choose nine marines and that means no extras for the guys. (ie, flamer & missile launcher.)

I was playing these 500 pt games vs. IG and he kept running a leman russ that I was having a hell of a time breaking. Deep strike land speeder with a multi melta finally got him back on his heels, risky, but fun. Other than that he had me pinned down. Ranged fire support is very important. Or so CLT tells me :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thx a lot for the support :eek:k:

I think I´ll split up 1 tactical squad and take the razorback with twin linked laser cannons.

I´ll also keep the assault Termins (deepstrike) for the frontline.

Is it useful to equiq 2 of the termis with lightning claws? Or would you take th/ss for all of them?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
If you were a salamander player I would run all hammers but by themselves its nice to get some hits in at int4.

Where are you putting your commander? Have you thought of putting him in term armor and dropping him in with your termies? or going with a relic blade and combi melta and add him to the razorback squad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Captain goes with the razorback crew. Relic blade and combi melta are to expensive for a (this) 700 pt Army. Or would you drop some Marines?

An Chaplain with Terminator Armor for the Assault squad would also be nice ^^

But painting the Minis is now the first priority :biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts