Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Xenos too insignificant in the new BRB?

• Totally. Xenos races are completely underrepresented.

Votes: 26 55.3%
  • Nope. Just the right balance of humans and xenos.

Votes: 21 44.7%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe its just me, but this edition seems to be WAY too H:FY! for me. In 5th, things were called what they were, and everyone got a decent portion of the book. Sure, humans got more, but this edition is ridiculous. If you added every single page on Xenos together it wouldn't be half as big as the parts on the Space Marines, IG, or CSM. I don't expect xenos to be the biggest part of the book, hell, they never really were, but this edition seems to sidelined them in the fluff massively. Xenos are part of what makes the galaxy so terrifying, knowing there's not just one threat, but dozens, and they all want to eat/shoot/assimilate/disintegrate/enslave and torture/harvest humanity.

I mean, for fuck's sake, the part on Chaos is called "The Greatest Threat". Most xenos only get a single page for themselves in the fluff section. ONE. PAGE. Though I can't say one specific human army didn't get totally reamed with a one-pager in the book either...

So, how long before the summary of the 40k fluff becomes "Good Humans versus Bad Humans"?

NOTE: H:FY! means "Humanity: Fuck Yeah!" and is usually used as a derogatory term when someone in a sci-fi or fantasy setting goes on and on about how humans are the besterest.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Humanity: Fuck Ya!

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I wouldn't of cared if IG had only 1 page dedicated to it personally....the BYB could be just a book that contains the actual rules for all I care.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
lol honestly haven't gotten to the fluff yet. just going over the rules and codexes again and again to make sure i understand the rule changes.

pretty sure it will annoy me though. i only play xenos and never found the space marines that interesting. however.... huge gaunts ghosts fan... so lots of imp fluff might be okay.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is actually what I wanted ultimately, the book is absolutely colossal but only like the first fifth of it is rules. The rest is about the imperium and how jawesome Space Marines are.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Doesn't make a lick of difference to me. I don't need to be sold on my race any more, I have the codex that flips the tables and has all the fluffy bits I need for them. I would have preferred they used that space for more fortification datasheets.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I read thru the fluff on first go thru the book. Beyond that the sections with miniatures and battleboards has had more draw to me than the fluff section.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doesn't make a lick of difference to me. I don't need to be sold on my race any more, I have the codex that flips the tables and has all the fluffy bits I need for them. I would have preferred they used that space for more fortification datasheets.
This. Robot brofist!

I hate looking at the models in the book. The models are gorgeous, amazing really. Thats the problem, I feel like a complete amateur looking at their painting, and it wrecks my self-esteem for an hour or so.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I get the opposite, I see them and go, I need to paint more and improve.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
MEh, this is why I didn't buy the book, and will not buy it until I can get a cheap starter mini version. The new book is just too much SPAAACE MUHREENNNN!

Some of the battles they made are pretty amazing though. That space battle is like omg titties.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I hated the part about "The Greatest Threat"
But I just let it slide that it was probably some metaphor for fear and confusion.

I just want a slim book with rules. "How do I handle a multi charge? Let me just pull out my 5,000 page book. Let's see... Fluff, fluff, pictures, pictures, more fluff, Ultramarines cure cancer...... Oh here is the one page I was trying to find. Just what I need in a rule book, 10% dedicated to useful information."

·
Registered
279 Posts
I hated the part about "The Greatest Threat"
But I just let it slide that it was probably some metaphor for fear and confusion.

I just want a slim book with rules. "How do I handle a multi charge? Let me just pull out my 5,000 page book. Let's see... Fluff, fluff, pictures, pictures, more fluff, Ultramarines cure cancer...... Oh here is the one page I was trying to find. Just what I need in a rule book, 10% dedicated to useful information."
Come now, that is unfair. The first part is all rules, no real fluff other then flavor text, then comes nearly 200 pages of fluff, and then you have the last 30 or so pages that sum up the game quite nicely. As for flipping thru all of them pages, that is what the index is for.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Add more:

-Fluff about not-humans
-Battlefield pictures
-Missions
-Battle reports

Fun fact. In every single picture that contains more than one army, one of the armies will invariably be human.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I would like to see more new, original artwork for all races, not just Space Marines. They are still using that old artwork from 10+ years ago for Sisters of Battle, and while I like it, why should I buy a book which doesn't contain much of anything new for the armies I actually like.

·
Registered
412 Posts
That was like the Apocalypse book; I asked the store manager if I could get a discount seeing as I only needed two pages in the book. His head promptly exploded DOES NOT COMPUTE
I do feel bad for Sisters, maybe you'll get a nice finecast (re)release someday soon?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts