Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

621 - 640 of 841 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
I really really hope that closest model wound allocation thing isn't true, but I won't bitch and moan about anything until I've read the rulebook myself.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Psychic Disciplines? Does this mean that codex psychic powers will be obsolete? Or will it go the way of 8th ed "i cast a spell" - "I dispell it" "i cast another spell"-"i dispell it"

I'm starting to worry a small bit.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Psychic Disciplines? Does this mean that codex psychic powers will be obsolete? Or will it go the way of 8th ed "i cast a spell" - "I dispell it" "i cast another spell"-"i dispell it"

I'm starting to worry a small bit.
As opposed to "I cast this power" - "I psychic hood it"

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
The Jump Infantry thing is interesting as I'm just starting out a DOA Force...

I welcome a move from Mech Hammer, my 4k Wolves have all been built around Rhinos and Razorbacks. Less emphasis on these vehicles means a nice drop pod army would be just as viable, or even a foot slogging one. Slightly worried my Wolves don't have a flyer though with this new Flyer ruleset but there's other Armies in the same boat!

This is my first Edition change and I have to say I'm very excited.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I also think there's only so much you can do with tanks, and I really hate looking at a board where all you see is vehicles until the second or third turn.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It's not Storms of Magic - it's the 8th Ed rulebook copy/pasted.

7 Spells = 6 spells and a signature.

35 cards = 5 Disciplines, so 3 fewer than the 8 in WFB, which suits the fact that hypothetically Psychic Powers are used less than Mages in WFB (yeah, right). Every codex will obviously get it's own Discipline except possibly Marines and IG because they're as vanilla as they come. Chaos will get God-Specific lores with the exception of Khorne who will get added dispel/ward saves against magic a la Dwarves. And so on and so forth. We already have the GK book with "Mastery Levels" from 1 to 4 which is yet another copy/paste job and "Psychic Devastation" sounds like "Irresistable Force" to me, which is hardly exciting to anyone who's watched a game of Fantasy.

Basically Psychic looks like it'll = Magic Phase it just remains to be seen how they generate dice for the power usage.

Given how badly the magic phase fucked up 8th Edition I just hope they've learnt their goddamned lesson and don't have such fucking stupid spells as Dwellers and Power Scrolls.

Mind you, I wouldn't mind Eldrad being the next Teclis. :p

·
Registered
434 Posts
The Jump Infantry thing is interesting as I'm just starting out a DOA Force...
Kind of makes me worry about BA now. Who knows though. Might help make Skyclaws more interesting. I know I don't use my Assault Marines much either though I suppose I could. If the change is true I'll have to give them a shot.

·
Registered
659 Posts
interactive scenery
Regarding that... I've read (on B&C, I think) that there might be more interaction with the scenery. As an example, it was said that flamer-type weapons might put scenery abalze. That might be fun!

Phil

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #629
Regarding that... I've read (on B&C, I think) that there might be more interaction with the scenery. As an example, it was said that flamer-type weapons might put scenery abalze. That might be fun!

Phil
If I recall correctly Beasts of War mentioned this in one of their 6th edition rule preview videos too. So this may have some credibility.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I like the idea of flamers rising in prominance. Plasma guns were the staple of 4th ed and meltaguns took over for 5th. It would be wonderfull if my flamer heavy Tigers could rock this edition!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Or... might I imagine... make all three equally good and balanced!? :p

Phil

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
Or... might I imagine... make all three equally good and balanced!? :p

Phil
Lol, this is GW, the only thing they even remotely try to balance is their budget.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Phil
I like the idea of more interaction. I played a couple games where we rolled lighting strikes on ruins, setting them on fire (dangerous test) so having offical ways to do that would be nice. With flamers beings easy to get it would be nice to use them if outside of range of a real target.

I'm curious about the psykers though too; would these powers replace or add to the existing codex ones? I know the DA psykers have next to nothing but my Eldar... Want both to be useful beyond hoods.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don't know about the psychic powers thing. If psychic powers are going to be important enough to warrant generic lists then what about all the codices who don't use them at all like DE, Sisters, and Daemons. More importantly what about psychic defenses since those 3 barely have any or none at all in the case of Sisters. My feelings on the matter are mixed at best. On one hand it will be cool to see a little more variety in the psychic powers department and perhaps a little more difficulty in using them in some cases. On the other it coudl be bad for some armies who have nothing in that department especially if they add a psychic phase back to the game.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I don't know about the psychic powers thing. If psychic powers are going to be important enough to warrant generic lists then what about all the codices who don't use them at all like DE, Sisters, and Daemons. More importantly what about psychic defenses since those 3 barely have any or none at all in the case of Sisters. My feelings on the matter are mixed at best. On one hand it will be cool to see a little more variety in the psychic powers department and perhaps a little more difficulty in using them in some cases. On the other it coudl be bad for some armies who have nothing in that department especially if they add a psychic phase back to the game.
But powers already exist, all this edition will do is change them, they are not going to become instant game winner because of the very things you haven mentioned, i wouldnt worry about it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
466 Posts
But they are coming out with a card pack and Psychic power book. As a Tau player I'm considerably worried about how much Psychic powers are going to come into play. Especially if they are using the random power charts since that means that half of those powers are going to pants-shittingly overpowered.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I'm hearing that some stores will be open very late on the 22nd, v late indeed, could the 23rd be the actual release date for 6th edition,
and if so will that make up for england going out of the euros that day?:p

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
That post on the deck can easily be interpreted as "here are cards with all the powers written on them, so you don't have to keep referring back to the BRB every time you cast them". Doesn't mean they are introducing random cards ala Dark Millenium.

I would personally find having my 'nid powers on cards in front of me easier than referring back to the book, and would actually remind me to cast them.

Partial rumours = unnecessary panic and blowing things out of proportion.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Also, the complaints of "but this army has no counter" can easily be fixed by having a list in the BRB or on an FAQ of generic wargear (similar to the stuff any army in WHF can take). Dark Millenium used wargear cards in that fashion.

Next panic-stricken question?

621 - 640 of 841 Posts