Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

421 - 440 of 841 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Given how quickly that died, I doubt it. Especially with the whole RaI thing - I Imagine that's VERY frustrating for them as writers to know idiots across the internet are constantly claiming to know what was going on in the minds of people they've never met (said writers) and using it as a stick to beat people with who disagree...
I'm sure we'll always get people who claim that very thing, I just liked the videos because it explained the writer's logic for the rule changes and made it easier to get why certain things now worked a certain way. It kept me from thinking "this is a stupid rule, why'd they do THAT?" since I already knew about why and that was a big help to me.

·
Registered
434 Posts
...idiots across the internet...
You say that like there's other kinds of people on the internet... :laugh:

Do wish they would sort of hype things up in advance a bit. Debating whether I want to buy some kits or not at all and me debating makes them no money.

It kept me from thinking "this is a stupid rule, why'd they do THAT?" since I already knew about why and that was a big help to me.
I had the same reaction to many rules but after looking over the 5th ed BRB after awhile the level of abstraction started to make sense and any rule that didn't make logical sense made a lot more when you see somethings as estimated. Hoping they don't drastically change much though here. I don't mind trying to improve things but it'd be nice to not question a ton of seemingly odd changes.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #423
I had the same reaction to many rules but after looking over the 5th ed BRB after awhile the level of abstraction started to make sense and any rule that didn't make logical sense made a lot more when you see somethings as estimated. Hoping they don't drastically change much though here. I don't mind trying to improve things but it'd be nice to not question a ton of seemingly odd changes.
My change over was from 3rd to 5th so there was a lot to adjust to....I STILL have to consciously think of the newer rapid fire rules just because I'll screw it up if I'm not paying attention (they used to only get 1 shot on the move not 2).

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah I skipped 4th as well, though it'd been long enough between playing I barely remembered much beyond...the part where you have models and stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
The brb being no longer available is pretty much all the confrimation we need. So that leaves just over 3 weeks before we see concrete evidence in WD.

I am expecting big changes this edition, rergardless of rumours. There has not been a big shake up of the rules since 2nd to 3rd really.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Intro-level rule sets will likely hit the shops about a week before the rules become available to buy. The staff need to know how to play before release day, so they are proficient at at least the basic stuff.

*That's* when we'll get the major accurate leaks of changes to the basic game.

I don't know when stock is sent out, but I doubt it's more than a week before release, and I doubt Independant retailers will get any until after GW release day.

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
The staff need to know how to play before release day, so they are proficient at at least the basic stuff.
I had an argument with a guy last week, for the second time in 3 months, that Dreadnoughts are in fact a type of Vehicle.

This guy is training to become a Store Manager.

So...yeah, forgive me if I don't think a week is enough time for them all to become proficient at the basics...

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
GW staff, for the most part, know more about the inside of their arsehole than they do about the rules for the games they are trying to sell.

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
GW staff, for the most part, know more about the inside of their arsehole than they do about the rules for the games they are trying to sell.
Is that *really* a criticism? Surely that would be a boon of some sort...

·
Like a Bawss
4,111 Posts
New edition comes out on the 14th july.
God... dammit... I'll be stuck in the bayous of Louisiana... I'll let my commander know I'll have to skip out on it in order to pick it up right away, I'm sure that'll go over well

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Familiarity breeds complacency. Gw staff deal with the rules for 3 different systems, every day. However, they don't use the BRB every game like we do. If they aren't sure about something, normally when running a huge in-store game, they wing it until they can check later, or go with what the majority of the regulars are saying. They then forget to check later, and the on-the-spot ruling sticks in their minds.

I say this from experience. A week will get them the basics, then once the BRB comes in they'll read it once, maybe twice then get back to it. 90% of staff games are intro games. It's not surprising the deeper rules occasionally slip. Customers have the leisure of their hobby being an escape from work.

Anyway, July 14th you say? I think I need to start saving for the book then...

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
I'd be sympathetic to that Tabby, but the guy's a prick.

Like I said, twice in three months, maybe less actually. And he wasn't 'are you sure' he was 'No Rick, Walkers aren't Vehicles.'

We all know anecdotes aren't worth a hill of beans - but my point is that there are some inside the company, not just outside it, that couldn't give a shit about learning rules correctly, and intro game is the only level they're capable of playing at. And I've done one, I know what it's about, and am not ragging on their purpose.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Anyway, July 14th you say? I think I need to start saving for the book then...
I have been keeping money by to get the new rules as soon as I can. Not sure I would go to the expense of getting a special edition set though if they have one.

421 - 440 of 841 Posts