Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, which can be dangerous sometimes I know, about SoB and how they pretty much are neglected at the moment and then I though about how cool it would be if they were in the starter set instead of marines for 6th ed (I love marines, they are what got me into 40k and you won't find a bigger fanboi than me, but I think it would be cool to see another army get some lovin for the first time in 40k's history). You could have them facing CSM or better yet, LatD (this would mean that GW have to rerelease rules for them). I mean seriously what would represent the 40k universe more than the Eclesiarchy fighting traitors, mutants and heretics. You'd have a Cannoness, some sisters, maybe a penitent engine or two on one side and on the other, a squad of renegade guardsmen or CSM (with Alpha Legion markings of course), some cultists, some mutants and maybe some renegade ogryns. That's my idea for the 6th edition boxed set, what would you all like to see in it?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Please no new edition!

An ecclesarchy plastic force fighting chaos cultist would be a sweet boxset but i can't see GW ever realising it as a starter kit.

More likely be guard vs nids or something similar though I would loathe that

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
It goes without saying that it'll be Space Marines.
I'd like to see them facing off with the Eldar who should have had a new codex and line of models round about then, bearing in mind that's what happened last time with the Orks.

New all plastic models of Farseer, Banshees, Guardians, Guardian Jetbikes and Wraithlord (I can't see them giving us much better than that) vs The Usual Suspects.

·
Registered
488 Posts
1. Marines will always be in the starter pack.
2. Sisters of Battle are one of the least likely races to be featured in the starter pack.

However, an Imperial Guard vs Chaos Space Marines(or Renegades, if they ever show themselves) could be epic. Mass infantry vs heavy infantry, basilisk vs defiler etc. Would be awesome!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I too would like to see some eldar. The ability to make some plastic aspect warriors that are not troops choices is too good to pass up.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Grey Knights... GREY KNIGHTS! Thats what we want, and I would have no problem with what army they face, as long as there are Grey Knights...

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Someone did this thread a little while ago, and i also went with SOB vs CSM. I do really like your LatD idea too though.

I guess it's pretty uinlikely, but with SoB vs CSM you've still (sort of) got marines, and it'd be a nice change to the usual sets.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
GK vs CSM would be awesome.

The problem is, you can't have 2 unmatched armies. If you put GK vs Daemons, it'd be stupidly one-sided.

But CSM vs GK would work, as it'd be evenly matched, with a Summoned Greater Daemon causing havoc, then capturing the Holy daemon-ridding side of the GKs.

Would buy that in an instant.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
In an ideal world no marines in the box would be great imo. But since Space Marines, more than likely Ultras at that, Eldar OR Necron would be VERY nice.

But for fluff and epicness CSM vs GK are just so god damned awesome :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Lots of people seem to be playing guard lately,so theyd be a good choice.
And marines are automatically in.

So I think that the next set should be space marines Vs imperial guard.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
...they would have to release some pretty fucking insane fluff to make that match up realistic. I would love to see the imperium collapse though.

·
Punx For Life
946 Posts
it is a starter set so the way i see it is the army's should be pretty easy to play and paint as this is what's going to get the young bloods in.
what i think would probably work too draw in the cadet's would be necrons and maybe dark elder,
that way the newbies and us vets could have a nice choice and both these armies need up dating too,
we could go for the wow factor and have models that are hard for the newbies to paint and play but then they would get fed up and wouldn't stick at it long.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
The thing is that any starter set will have marines. To twist it and put in chaos would be cool. As far as i recall the starter sets have never had chaos, so they would be a nice change. We have had nids, orks and dark eldar. Sob's or gk's would be very cool, but the ever popular guard is pretty likley, although high model count armies would be a problem, 5 marines will take a couple of basically equiped infantry squads. Makes for a pretty one sided boxed set.

·
Registered
458 Posts
They'll deffinately have marines, but could they use a different chapter than ultramarines? Id like to see some new black templars or DA.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
As a few other people have said, Space Marines (loyalist not Chaos) are always going to be in the starter set simply because they epitomise 40k.

Also, as we've seen with Black Reach, just because you've been in once as the opposition doesn't mean you can't be in again.

Now the boxset is meant to serve as an intro so you'll have fluff that is fairly straightforward and central to 40k. Hence we're never going to see Guard, Sisters of Battle or any Imperial faction in the starter set.

Chaos Space Marines are just as unlikekly, because vs Space Marines they'd make for a pretty boring boxset.

Orks won't be in the next one because they were in Black Reach, and since Nids were in McCragge, I doubt we'll see them.

Given that sixth edition won't be out until at least mid-2012, I reckon we can shortlist the likely opponents for the Space Marines.

1 - Dark Eldar: with a new codex seemingly imminent, I wouldn't be surprised if they were included to boost sales.

2 - Necrons: Fairly simple to use and with a new codex possibly out next year, these guys are a good bet for likely opposition. I for one would love to see a plastic Necron Lord.

3 - Tau: Say what you like about the blueskins, but their models have a definite cool factor to them, plus they'd be ideal for the streamlining process needed for boxset miniatures.

Eldar: Doubtful to my thinking, if only because of the way they play. Then again Dark Eldar are just as hard to use and they were in the 3rd edition boxset so it's possible. Personally I'd love to see Iyanden featured with an Autarch, some Guardians, a couple of War Walkers and a squad of Wraithguard.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts