Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - been out of 40k a while, but as I have the school league finals in july i was wondering if anyone could give me some friendly/helpful advice on my current blood ravens list as it currently stands:

1) 1 librarian

2) 5 marines

3) 5 marines/or scouts

4) imperial knight for teh lulZ

As im mostly playing this list to be a douche with knight, im not really considering exchanging it for anything else, however any thoughts on my list would be appreciated - cheers

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
To quote yourself, looks like "a douche with knight" list.

Anyone who has reasonable anti-tank and some luck will probably squash you. People who don't will probably think you're a douche with a Knight.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I don't have the rules for a Knight, what're their AV/HP stats like? I play against a lot of armour typically, so I play very aggressively toward that...but I have no idea how I would handle a Knight at this points level.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I don't have the rules for a Knight, what're their AV/HP stats like? I play against a lot of armour typically, so I play very aggressively toward that...but I have no idea how I would handle a Knight at this points level.
13/12/12 - 6HP

Can pick a facing at the start of opponent's shooting phase that gets a 4++.

Guns are pretty wicked and the D melee weapon is a monster. It is a super heavy which means an explode = -d3 HP (2-4 HP lost in total). It can take a huge amount of firepower if you roll well but can also die to 2x Pens.

It is what it is, a big, scare mini Super Heavy that doesn't have enough staying power to run as a one of unless the point is to make people angry at low points.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No offence but to my mind, I don't really think anyone would be able to take it out that easy, a double six with a 50% chance of saving, is pretty low. And also, in 600pts, unless it's a mirror match or your opponent is list tailoring, i highly doubt anyone would have anywhere near enough firepower to take it out effectively before it stomps on em.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
i highly doubt anyone would have anywhere near enough firepower to take it out effectively before it stomps on em
At low points levels I play BA with Drop Pods all over and would likely be putting down 3x Melta shots on that T1 unless I scatter terribly. If I space my models out right, I can get them on two different armour facing and force at least one (hopefully more depending on how wide the side arc is) shot through the 4++.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My drop pod Sallies wouldn't have any trouble for the same reasons ntaw stated.

As for other armies, it's a toss up. I'm guessing that semi to competitive DE, Eldar, Tau and most SM wouldn't be too hard pressed.

AP1 Weapons get a +2 on the damage chart meaning all you need is two pens of a 4+.

Like I said, it isn't going to be fun to play against, but it is beatable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fair enough - but then thats a list that is specifically designed to kill it, and in all honesty probably wont appear at the finals because last I checked flyers were a thing in competitive 40k, so id imagine people would be more for killing flyers than a demi titan! Unless your list is specifically tailored (your two dp lists for example - no offence intended) I dont see there being many opponents who can do it - im not arguing the fact that its possible cause it blatantly is if you have the tools, but im saying that, in my opinion, theres gonna be very few who can unless their army is central anti tank.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Tom310, that is a fair point and I should have clarified. I think your list fits your criteria very well. If I were to add feedback as to the rest of the list, I'd probably put Scouts with a ML in some cover and then put the libby with the 5x Tac Marines in a drop pod with a melta or flamer for disruption. Nothing like stepping in and blowing away someone's anti-tank on turn 1 when they have to deal with a Super Heavy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is very sound advice, thanks, but im just thinking, is that feasible in 600pts? As many people would probably love to tell me, the titan is pretty damn points heavy, so that in mind, is it possible?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Hmmm, maybe not the best I you can do is a Libby, two Cammo Cloak Scout Squads with ML and a Knight. I'll have to double check this list when I have my codex at hand. I'm at work right now so that is off the top of my head.

Still, that will probably be hard to shift and the Libby can help one of the Scout Squads hit with the ML.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
but then thats a list that is specifically designed to kill it
The list I suggested IS my 750 point list for BA (I know, this list is 600 but bear with me). Three drop pods, one of which is a 10 man squad with 4x Melta shots coming out of it. I figure, the other two units bear flame templates and CCWs so one unit is specifically anti-tank (or in this case, anti-knight). Gives me a T1 choice of any two of these: AV13 deadnought, HQ/CC squad with 3x Flame templates, 10 man MG squad. It's a pretty thin list as well, but apparently one that would help me out massively against a list like this. If I were to shave it down to 600 it would just be a few 5 man squads instead of the larger 10 man squads in DPs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is very sound advice, thanks, but im just thinking, is that feasible in 600pts? As many people would probably love to tell me, the titan is pretty damn points heavy, so that in mind, is it possible?
I remember running a 15 model guard list with 3 Leman Russ in 600.

Be the douche with a Titan. Embrace it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking Libby, 10 scouts in two squads where one is armed with rockets, then knight. And sorry ntaw but it's 600pts, you could trim down sure but that doesn't change the fact the list is still tailored. And in regards to the lamen russ list, was the cheese worth it or did the list get stomped?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
And sorry ntaw but it's 600pts, you could trim down sure but that doesn't change the fact the list is still tailored.
So...one anti tank unit means tailored to you, eh? I take that shit in every game. Don't even need bran to stay regular with it. Someone always wants to bring something that needs to blow up, if I ever play without a MG squad I would be tailoring to meet your lack of armour. If anything, it's tailored to the strengths of the BA codex vs. the way I like to play.

Also, wait for Unbound Armies (i.e. Saturday) so you don't worry about meeting the criteria that is limiting you taking whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm thinking Libby, 10 scouts in two squads where one is armed with rockets, then knight. And sorry ntaw but it's 600pts, you could trim down sure but that doesn't change the fact the list is still tailored. And in regards to the lamen russ list, was the cheese worth it or did the list get stomped?
The few times I played it, it wrecked as not many had enough anti armour, Crons posed a threat but 3 pie plates a turn from the back line was enough. This was in 3rd-4th edition, around eye of terror and kasrkin in the guard dex (100 points for 2 troops, 40 for HQ).

And people saying "unbound, so nothing matters." In tourneys/competetive settings they will probably force the force org.

Also, most people who know how to build all comers list (eg ntaw) will have stuff able to deal with most things. So he's not really tailoring.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
And people saying "unbound, so nothing matters." In tourneys/competetive settings they will probably force the force org.
Objective Secured matters SO much. If you come up against someone who played a Battle Forged list and it's an objective based mission you better hope you have enough killy, 'cuz there's no contesting objectives for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A single squad of melta as isnt exactly one anti tank, more in the range of 4/5 - but thats not the point, the point I was making is that 9/10 you wouldn't bring those if you were in a 600pt tourney where everyone's bringing flyers, and if you were going to bring them, heldrake and doom sythe lists would have a field day. So realistically you wouldn't bring them, the only reason you say you would is cause you KNOW whats in my list. But anyways, unbound don't bother me as much as I expected, as an unbound force would need to be balanced in order to be effective unless it's been tailored. Obviously objectives matter, but that's the point of taking the knight which can clear an objective in no time at all, so why would I bother contesting? all the scouts need to do is survive and take pot shots at flyers/troops.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Normally if I play competitive I just play my heldrake iron warriors (warp smith, 10 marines with melta gun and plasma gun,10 cultists, lascannon aegis line, bale flame heldrake) which I've yet to lose a game at a tourney with. True it makes me predictable but I've yet to find someone who's been able to take it out because of the number of risks I can put onto the board in interlocking fields of fire pose too many threats. (beaten: tau with twin Riptides. Chaos with heldrake and cultists spam. Marines with centurion and lots of missile launchers. To name a few) but the point is that my knight list is designed to force my opponent into a defensive play right from the start, cause anyone who isn't packing a stupid amount of anti tank won't be able to do anything, true you could kill my scouts and my librarian by playing on my lists holes, but the knights still gonna take a dump on whatever else is on the board, especially troops camping on objectives and tanks. I'm not saying that my list can't be stopped, the fact that it can be crushed couldn't be more apparent, but to do it, you need an army list basically redundant in today's meta cause it'll get skrewed by flyers. But like I said, it's more of a fun list than a game winning list if my opponent has enough counters.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know most army lists that point sink on something big usually lose due to the rest of the force being underpowered, that's quite apparent, but with this list, its not like bringing a land raider or a monolith where it's a big gun that just gets melta vetted (though not saying that wouldn't work with lucky rolls) it's abilities are far superior in that even if it dies, it will take a fair chunk of the enemy with it. And like I said, the list is more fun than competitive (douche with a knight etc)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts