Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking ahead to next years school league, and after having a flick through the new marine dex, I've decided upon a salamanders army. I want to make it as competitive as possible at 600 points, and figured drop pod assault would be the way, because *FUN*. Also, as a quick hobby side note, I plan to design the army based on a frozen world, with ice instead of fire, and having the green colour scheme with bits of purple (e.g armour trim, cloth, banners, etc.), and your opinion on how it would look would be appreciated :p

Anyway, onto the list:

HQ - Librarian, Mastery Level 2, Meltagun - 90

Troops - 2x 5 man tactical squads, 1 with heavy flamer, 1 with meltagun, both in drop pod - 230 total
5 man tactical squad w/ heavy flamer in Razorback w/ librarian - 135

Elites - Dreadnought w/ davy flamer, drop pod - 145
Total - 600 points even

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Good choice with the salamanders, you have picked wisely :wink:

For the green and purple I think you should be careful with your shades. If it's too bright it may look a little 'comic book villain', but those colours could work together if they are well balanced.

As for the list, it's not bad but may need a few tweaks.

Firstly you can't take a heavy flamer with a tactical squad (which is lame :/ )

Secondly i would strongly recommend an Ironclad dread - they are much more survivable when dropped into enemy territory and the same, if not more damage.

Thirdly, make use of your chapter tactics and give your sergeants combi weapons. Free master-crafting is not to be sniffed at.

Last but not least i would swap out 1 of the tactical squads for an assault squad with 2 x flamers. They can dish out more pain than the tacticals and run a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks ;)
For the purple I was thinking more very dark highlighted up to a little bright, but not as you say "comic book villain" bright :p
The codex says Legion of the Damned only, which sucks :(
The Ironclad is an extra 35 points, which I will probably need to find as that extra armour value is very useful. Perhaps if I merge one tactical squad with another to make it a 10 man squad and put that in a drop pod? Again, the points are so tight that I don't know what to drop and what to keep :/ I'm only taking the librarian as it's a dirt cheap HQ which can cause some fun, but looking at the other choices, purely for points efficiency, there is absolutely nothing cheaper, and running the librarian naked doesn't seem like a great idea, as 25 points for an extra psychic power each turn is too good to pass up on. With regards to the assault squad, in 600 points you NEED lots of troops. I cannot understate the importance of capturing and holding down objectives in the small games, which is why I wanted lots of small troops squads, with the Ironclad for heavy hitting in close combat, since I can just deep strike it behind enemy lines and rape anything in close combat, unless the can blow me up first :/ Which brings me back round to the whole Ironclad Dreadnought thing…
Might it be better to have a 5 man assault squad unit in a drop pod instead? That way I can keep them back away from the enemy when the come in, hide them behind terrain for a turn, and then when they come in kill EVEREHTIN!!!! :p

So, possibly a list like this:
HQ - Librarian, Mastery Level 2, Meltagun - 90

Troops - 2x 5 man tactical squads, 1 with heavy flamer, 1 with meltagun, both in drop pod - 230 total
5 man tactical squad w/ heavy flamer in Razorback w/ librarian - 135

Elites - 5 man assault squad w/ 2 flamers in drop pod - 130
Total - 585

This gives me 15 points to play around with, perhaps to upgrade my tactical squad sergeants with some combi weapons?

Sorry for this really long wall of text :p

EDIT
New idea, "drop" the drop pods and stick everything in rhinos. This means that my units have mobility after the first turn and I have something to use for cover. This will work even if I use a dread, since I can give it a drop pod, and it means I start with everything on the table.

EDIT II
Run a Stormtalon Gunship? If I attach it to the razorback and keep it in reserves, T1 I deep strike in one of my tac squads in the drop pod, and T2 everything else comes in. Might be *FUN* and gives me a few more points to work with to upgrade squads.

EDIT III
Bloody hell I'm rolling in new ideas :p
Anyway, instead of the Librarian, how about a Master of the Forge?

So, assuming I use the last two ideas, the general list would be:

HQ
Master of the Forge - 90

Troops
5 Man Tactical Squad w/ Drop Pod, Meltagun, Combi-Flamer - 125
5 Man Tactical Squad w/ Drop Pod, Meltagun, Combi-Flamer - 125
5 Man Tactical Squad w/ Razorback, Meltagun, Heavy Flamer, Grav Pistol - 150

Fast Attack
Stormtalon Gunship - 110
Total - 600 points

1 - 3 of 3 Posts