Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This most recent School League has just ended, at least for most of us, and I'm thinking of icing up a new force. Imperial Guard was one of the ones I was interested in, and after having a look through the new codex, this is what I put together while trying to keep costs down as much as possible:

HQ
Company Command Squad w/ Chimera, 3 Flamers, 1 Melta Gun – 150 pts

Troops
2x Veterans w/ 2 Flamers, 1 Meta Gun, Chimera – 290

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Lascannon - 160

I can get all of this from a discount wargaming shop for just over 100 pounds, which is not exactly a small amount of money, so I would like to know if it's worth the investment :p

btw the 2 kits would be the new cadian force and a boxed chimera

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mixed weapons like that isn't usually optimal. Have 1 squad with JUST flamers and 1 with JUST meltas.

Also, in 600 points you aren't likely to find too many vehicles that warrant meltas. Flyers are usually more prevalent. Your biggest weakness is the ability to get close enough to use your only real anti tank weapon. Your LMBT will be snap firing the las cannon most of the time.

Of course I don't know your what Kind of opponents you face. They may all take land raiders and plonk them willingly in front of melta vets.

But optimise special weapons better. Guard do well/did well at low point battles because of the amount of variety you could fit in. (Unless you were me in 4th ed and took 150 points of HQ and troops and 2 LMBT in 500points.)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, barring the weapon issues, how should I deal with anti air? I'm not sure that I'll need to as we will be able to choose our opponents, and I also run 600 point cron air (evil smile) which ill lend to one of my teammates since its basically autopilot :p

But as a list if it were to take n all comers, what would you suggest? hydras?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm fairly inexperienced in 6th ed rules, 4th ed was my peak.

But looking around, air superiority wins in most lists. Particularly with Juke rule.

Remember you can buy Flak missiles. Could be an option. Failing that Hydra can work. Be it the vehicle or the fortification.

The other option would be a vendetta. That would involve dropping the LMBT and working your already limited troop options to deal with MEQ/TEQ and horde. Some of this can be achieved with plasma vets and chims with Heavy flamers. Depends how far out of the battalion box you are willing to spend I guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd really rather not go over 130, which gets me this army plus some awesome bases, but yeah, the vendetta is an option. Air superiority is so common however, that the hydras might be a very valid option, shame they snap fire at ground troops :/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Ok. So you have access to:

Command squad
20 Cadians
3 chimeras
1 LRBT.

You need to deal with all-comers. And you can't purchase more except maybe special weapons and a heavy weapon box? The boxed heavy weapons can make 3 mortars, 3 missile launchers and 3 of whatever you choose with a bit of original thinking btw.

I'd go CCS with 2 melta guns in a heavy flamer Chim (HBs are acceptable too).

2 squads of melta (2) vets with Flakk missile (it can shoot out the top of the vehicle and ony count as 1 model) again heavy flamer chims but HB can be an option.

Standard LMBT. I'd take H flamer personally.

The points are at 635.

If they have to be 600 (which I guess they do) drop 45 points (meltas and missile) from a vet squad and take 2 flamers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input, I've actually been looking at the new marine codex as well and have decided to do two projects, one being this and the other being a salamander army, although it is themed on a world not unlike Fenris, and instead of fire there will instead be ice. I'm looking forward a lot to making them all :D

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Still digesting the new AM dex. Take this with some salt (except for the S7 vs. AV12 part).

Flakk missiles are a weak excuse for Anti Air unless you are giving them the Tank Hunter order. S7 just doesn't cut it in my experience against AV12 fliers, and since the Valkyrie is 170 now it's a bit of a trick to involve at lower points levels. If you had access to one, I would say stack your CS full of flamers and put them in there, leaving your Vets to take Chimeras. I really like the way they changed those tanks to use the lasgun arrays AND to have models firing out of the top. It was cool with the ability to fire 5 weapons, but seemed a little ridiculous for something not a pickup truck (or otherwise Open-Topped).

The Leman Russ really doesn't need any points spent on weapon upgrades, differently I'm going to surgically remove both of my Battle Cannons and make those Heavy 20 gatling guns out of essentially some straws and run a pair of those I think. Since Exterminators dropped so much in in points I'll pretty much be replacing LRBTs with LREs. Get's Hot! doesn't scare me, I've been rolling it for the Plasma Cannon Sponsons for time.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Don't bother with Pask, just keep a Primaris Psyker nearby for Prescience that will affect the WHOLE UNIT (i.e squadron) and save the HQ slot for something better.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Still digesting the new AM dex. Take this with some salt (except for the S7 vs. AV12 part).

Flakk missiles are a weak excuse for Anti Air unless you are giving them the Tank Hunter order. S7 just doesn't cut it in my experience against AV12 fliers, and since the Valkyrie is 170 now it's a bit of a trick to involve at lower points levels. If you had access to one, I would say stack your CS full of flamers and put them in there, leaving your Vets to take Chimeras. I really like the way they changed those tanks to use the lasgun arrays AND to have models firing out of the top. It was cool with the ability to fire 5 weapons, but seemed a little ridiculous for something not a pickup truck (or otherwise Open-Topped).

The Leman Russ really doesn't need any points spent on weapon upgrades, differently I'm going to surgically remove both of my Battle Cannons and make those Heavy 20 gatling guns out of essentially some straws and run a pair of those I think. Since Exterminators dropped so much in in points I'll pretty much be replacing LRBTs with LREs. Get's Hot! doesn't scare me, I've been rolling it for the Plasma Cannon Sponsons for time.
Yeah we really do not need flakk missiles in an army with so much access to Divination and orders, just save those points and snap shot fire autocannons or lascannons at fliers. You are bound to hit at least once with re-rolls. And the beauty of this is that if your oponent doesn't bring any fliers, you haven't wasted a fuck tonne of points of flakk missiles. :)

I am with you on the Leman Russ's Ntaw: I feel Punishers and Executioners are now the best choices and I will probably run them in 2's in higher points games. I will probably take Heavy Bolter sponsons on the Punishers though, because I plan to have Primaris Pyskers and/or Inquisitors dotted around my lines, casting Prescience on my blobs and tanks to maximise the firepower killing potential. When you add Heavy Bolter Sponsons to the Gatling cannons you are getting another x3 str5 shots to add to the x20 Gatling shots, all with re-rolls to hit if you are casting Prescience.
Times that by x2 and you are getting a total of 46 re-rolling shots per turn. That is going to lay waste to any infantry you come across, I think, even Thundernators will crumble under such weight of fire.

Executioners - I may still take Heavy Bolters in some cases, as most the time you are gunning at heavy infantry so it synergises okay. But naked will work just fine too: 155pts is good for a mobile av14 plasma cannon that fires x3 times in my opinion.

I may have to cut off my battletank and demolisher turrets and make some gatling conversions and pick up another executioner turret...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Executioners - I may still take Heavy Bolters in some cases, as most the time you are gunning at heavy infantry so it synergises okay. But naked will work just fine too: 155pts is good for a mobile av14 plasma cannon that fires x3 times in my opinion.
I have two with PC sponsons and LCs hanging off the front. I kinda want to take the LC down to a HB, but it's come in handy many a time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
A forum post asking for tips on 600 points has now digressed into full scale discussion =D!

I wouldn't take mass Missile launchers in a 1500 point comp list. Was just suggesting options within the confines of his points and models available.

And the Pask comment was because I was writing a semi fluffy mech list (Pask was in a Vanq) and noticed the synergy of his warlord trait and Gets hot of executioners. Any 1s rerolled without need of a psyker. Plus frees up a Heavy Slot.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yeah that's cool. I was just discussing what can be done from an optimised perspective. A fluffy list with Pask leading sounds infinitely more exciting actually. I think it's cool how now it's much more feasible to take a themed 'Armoured Fist' type list: Pask in a Russ as HQ, with upto 9 other Russ' in Heavy Support! Or hell, 12 Russ's if you take a squadron as your HQ. That's pretty crazy.
I admit this codex is growing on me the more people think up thematic lists to play! Kinda almost makes up for the retconning of the artillery...

·
Registered
136 Posts
This codex and the Tempestus is the reason I've returned to this extortionate past time that is playing with toy soldiers =D.

I'm thinking of running a main army of guard with allied scions that deep strike in and shoot up the place. Kind of like the codex that first bought in doctrines. Loved that codex.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts