Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking to build a list for 600 point games (this is the limit for beginners at my local GW store).

Looking forward to seeing your opinions on this...

HQ

Chaos Lord (Power Armour, Aura of Dark Glory, Plasma Pistol, Power Sword) - i am using Kranon for this.

Troops

10 x Cultists w/flamer
10 x Cultists w/flamer

Fast Attack

Heldrake w/baleflamer

Heavy Support

3 x Obliterators.

I do not have the obliterator models yet and thinking of buying them for this list. I have a Heldrake and want to keep him on my lists because its so much fun flying about melting enemy troops hiding in cover :grin:

thank you for reading,

balldrix

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
HQ

Chaos Lord (Power Armour, Aura of Dark Glory, Plasma Pistol, Power Sword) - i am using Kranon for this.

Plasma pistol is useless, if you have a spare bolt pistol and are willing to chop his arm off i would suggest doing that. Ideally you would want a sigil of corruption but if points are tight the aura of glory is fine.

Troops

10 x Cultists w/flamer
10 x Cultists w/flamer

Ideally you want a little bit more meat infantry wise, these cultists will die to pretty much anything and they will die quickly. i'll go over some options later on.

Fast Attack

Heldrake w/baleflamer

Sweet unit, only issue you might have is bad reserve rolls, so long as you hide things well enough your troops should be fine but there is a good chance that your opponent can kill your infantry before the heldrake and oblits even get on the field.

Heavy Support

3 x Obliterators.
While obliterators are good i don't like them in low point games, 210 points for 3 models is steep. Even if they do a lot of damage. I mainly use obliterators as tank hunters and i dont think you are going to see many scary tanks at this points level so i think you could use the points well somewhere else.
so if you drop the plasma pistol and obliterators you have 225 points to spend on something. To decide what would be good lets look at what this list will be weak against.

-2+ armour saves
-mc's or fmc's and vehicles
-Armies that can do a lot of damage turn one (infiltrators or shooty armies)

So lets look at some of the things that can counter the weaknesses.

-plasma weapons would do well since termies would be relying on invuln and their reasonably high strength will be able to wound/take hull points from the big things.

-another option would be to drown them with shots, enough dice rolls and eventually they will fail their 2+'s. If you take a predator with nothing upgraded except the heavy bolters for only 95 points, it will spit out 8 shots every turn with 2 of those shots being scary for the big stuff. Additionally av 13 is not something most people will expect to have to deal with so it will be difficult to table you before the heldrake arrives. Plus you would be able to take 2 of them as they are nice and cheap.

So in conclusion what i would suggest is this.

HQ
Lord w/ power sword and Aodg

Troops
15 cultists w/flamer
15 cultists

Fast
Heldrake w/baleflamer

Heavy
pred w/Ac + h.bolters
pred w/Ac + h.bolters

This list has thirty objective holding bodies that you can put to ground behind some cover behind an objective and run out to claim it on the last couple of turns. Decent anti tank/flyer/mc with s7 vector strikes and autocannons. Decent anti-infantry with 12 s5 ap 4 shots a turn and s6 ap3 torrent flamer. By no means a beats everything hands down but it should give you a decent chance against mostly everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if you drop the plasma pistol and obliterators you have 225 points to spend on something. To decide what would be good lets look at what this list will be weak against.

-2+ armour saves
-mc's or fmc's and vehicles
-Armies that can do a lot of damage turn one (infiltrators or shooty armies)

So lets look at some of the things that can counter the weaknesses.

-plasma weapons would do well since termies would be relying on invuln and their reasonably high strength will be able to wound/take hull points from the big things.

-another option would be to drown them with shots, enough dice rolls and eventually they will fail their 2+'s. If you take a predator with nothing upgraded except the heavy bolters for only 95 points, it will spit out 8 shots every turn with 2 of those shots being scary for the big stuff. Additionally av 13 is not something most people will expect to have to deal with so it will be difficult to table you before the heldrake arrives. Plus you would be able to take 2 of them as they are nice and cheap.

So in conclusion what i would suggest is this.

HQ
Lord w/ power sword and Aodg

Troops
15 cultists w/flamer
15 cultists

Fast
Heldrake w/baleflamer

Heavy
pred w/Ac + h.bolters
pred w/Ac + h.bolters

This list has thirty objective holding bodies that you can put to ground behind some cover behind an objective and run out to claim it on the last couple of turns. Decent anti tank/flyer/mc with s7 vector strikes and autocannons. Decent anti-infantry with 12 s5 ap 4 shots a turn and s6 ap3 torrent flamer. By no means a beats everything hands down but it should give you a decent chance against mostly everything.
Thanks for the reply.

2 x predators seem like a mean choice. It sounds like loads of fun. Especially with side sponson heavy bolsters. Are they able to deal with AV14 imperial guard or T6 riptides?
I should have mentioned, even with 600pt games, imperial guard players (one guy in particular, yes Stef I mean you) bring a tank. On the same games night there are 1200pt games and sometimes it's 2 v 1, depending on numbers.

My idea of have obliterators is to deep strike and attack armour and monstrous creatures on the second turn. I thought maybe have 2 x obliterators in separate units?

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
No they wont be able to take down av 14, its d6 + your strength to roll for pens and the max you can get with the s7 from the autocannons is 13. They should be do fine against monstrous creatures though. wounding on a 3+ is a good roll but what you have to worry about would be taking fire back from the riptides. I have yet to play against one but they are supposed to have very big guns. Av13 on the preds will soften that blow because their plasma would be glancing on 5+ so in order to really ensure they will die the riptides will want to get close to use their melta weapons. But dont quote me on that because as i say i havent played against the riptide yet. Only a 1500pt game that included nothing but pathfinders and battlesuits, my only loss so far with the current iteration of my list :(

as i said before obliterators just dont do it in low points, with only the one shot each with all your tank popping weapons its so easy for the dice gods to just say "nope you aint killin that vehicle even though your placement and tactics are perferct." If you were to take obliterators at all i think what you initially suggested as the group of 3 would be the strongest build for you.

umm, i see two options here for dealing with av14. Upgrade the autocannons on the preds to lascannons but drop a the cultists down to 10 man units and you would have to drop 5 points of by changing the lords wargear as well. 9 + 1 +d6 (+1 for ap2) should be able to drop av14 fairly consistantly and will be useful at instagibbing charachters.

or you swap out the 2 predators for 1 forgefiend (taking the additional plasma cannon on this is up to you, 25 points could go towards gear for the lord or more cultists). 8 s8 shots will be very scary for av14 and mc's, only reason i perfer the predators is because they arent as much of a fire magnet. The forgefiends only having av12 will find themselves being targeted very hard. Although granted you do have iwnd and 5+ invuln so it wont die from just anything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts