Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made a point of staying away from discussions regarding the upcoming 5th edition until I'd had a chance to take a look at the rules, and I have to say, I'm not as freaked out about them as most people seem to be.

The rules, for the most part, really aren't changed much from how they currently stand. The big differences are in how vehicles work, the addition of the Run rule, and how blast weapons work. Beyond that, it looks a hell of a lot like 4th Edition to me.

My only complaint, which isn't much of a complaint really, is that they're making power fists more like lightning claws and requiring a pair of them for you to count as being double-armed. Power fists kind of dominate close combat at the moment, so a change probably isn't so bad-- I'll probably redistribute equipment for my sergeants and have more than I currently do with power swords instead of fists.

I like the Run rule, in particular. At first glance, it really looks like the system favors heavy assault armies purely because of that, but you can't assault in the same turn as you Run, so the opponent that needs to shoot you to win (*cough* Tau *cough*) has a turn to rapid-fire you at point-blank. I really think it makes it possible to engage Tau and not have it be a fairly one-sided game... I have yet to beat Tau, and they're the dominant army around here since they've got basically one weakness and it's pretty damn hard to exploit.

Run also does one other thing, which may not be terribly obvious-- it actually kind of nerfs Space Marine assaults. It's all well and good to have thirty-five Marines or so charging across the table, but armies like Orks, Tyranids, and even Imperial Guard have the numbers to make a truly scary assault possible. Having that option to Run instead of shoot makes the game more about movement (and thus a bit more strategic) and less about stacking an army list.

I've only really skimmed the rules so far, but I really like what I see. What does everyone else think?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
There's discussion on this in the News and Rumour section of the site.

Also, it should be mentioned that the pdf out there purporting to be the new rulebook is a very very old copy, about 2 years old apparently, so i wouldn't call it completely kosher.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.