Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please explain how an assault is supposed to work under the new addition? My gaming group (all four of us) seems to be playing a conglomeration of 4th and 5th editions with regards to assault, and frankly the rulebook is more confusing then enlightening in this case.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Step 1, Declare a charge by a legal unit (no charges is you ran in the shooting phase unless you have fleet, gone to ground, fired rapid fire weapons, or fired heavy weapons)

Step 2, Move your closest model to his closest model using the most direct route. If you do not have the movement to reach the closest enemy model the assault fails. If the model is able to reach the assaulted unit then move your models into base with his models up to your maximum assault move engaging as many unengaged models as you can. After you have engaged as many unengaged models you then continue to move models into base with the enemy model. After that you have moved all the models you can into base move them into base with your own models. Then if you have any models that cannot make B2B make sure they are moved to within 2" to maintain coherancy of the unit.

Step 3, The enemy now moves all of his models into base with your models move up to his max assault range.

No one is allowed to hold models back to keep them out of the fight. They are not allowed to avoid difficult or dangerous terrain if it prevents them from engaging the enemy in B2B.

All models in B2B and any model within 2" of a model in B2B can attack with all of their attacks. Causalties are removed from any models in the unit, even models that are unengaged.

IC must be in B2B to attack or be attacked.

Those are the basic rule as I recall them. I hope that makes it a little easier to understand. Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. Just to be clear, both sides get to move their models up to six inches?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Yeah. lots of little niggles that Grinnsira left out but it's a decent synopsis, except for one thing. After the first model (closest to closest) is moved, the other models can be moved in any order. You do not have to do all the unengaged btb first, then btb, then others.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
After the assault moves have been completed then models attack in order of initiative (I) from highest to lowest while equal "I" attack simultaneously.

Take armor saves (if allowed) and remove models from any model in the unit, not just engaged models.

Count up the total unsaved wounds for each unit and compare to each other. The unit who took the least amount of unsaved wounds wins the combat. In the even of a tie, then go directly to pile in moves.

The loosing unit then makes a morale check with a negative modifier equal to what they lost the combat by, (the difference in unsaved wounds you lost the combat by. Unit "A" took 3 unsaved wounds while unit "B" took 5. Unit "B" lost by 2 so you subtract 2 to your "I".)

Fail the morale test and the unit will make a fall back move. 2D6 directly towards its own board edge.
Pass the morale test and the units make pile in moves. Move all models up to 6 inches to engage each other again.

Fearless units do not take morale tests so automatically go into a pile in move but also take a number of auto wounds they lost the combat by. If a fearless unit lost the combat by 3, then they take 3 auto wounds that can be saved.

If a fall back move is made the winning unit has a chance to make a sweeping advance. Both players roll a D6 and add "I". If the winning units score is equal to or higher than the loosing sides score they sweep the fleeing unit off the table. Remove the fleeing unit, they are destroyed.
If the fleeing units score is higher they made a clean break and are now making a run for it.
The winning unit then makes a consolidation move. They can move up to D6 in any direction but cannot start another assault so must end the move at least 1 inch away from enemy models.

Page 33 in the BRB breaks down the assault phase into each individual part, (the boxed section on the left of the page, you cannot miss it.) Follow it step by step, (referring to the specific pages for each phase of the assault.) Soon you will find the assault phase is rather straight forward after a few games.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I believe the rulebook also stats that after the closest model is move, IC's must move and TRY to get into BSB as much as possible. No holding back with them.

Also note, after your closest model moves in, you are free to assault other units providing you can get into BSB and maintain 2" coherency. You also must get into BSB if possible - No stringing guys out in a line to tag a unit a couple inches away.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do both sides make a pile in move if the loser passes morale, or just the winner?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts