Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I'm a Nub. I'm looking for some input on my 500pt starter list.

Its core is 2 5 man Pathfinder squads (Splitting the 10 man squad seemed more tactically flexible and is necessary to have 2 troops). There is also a 5 man Warp Spider in reserve to Deep Strike.

Edit: I've changed the list to represent comments I've received, the Swooping hawks are now Warp Spiders with an Exarch that has a Spinneret Rifle, Powerblades and Surprise Assault. This would narrow the HQ down to an Autarch with a Warp Jump Generator, Banshee Mask, PW, and Death Spinner (The Spinneret Rifle seemed like a better choice for the Exarch than an additional Death Spinner).

This list would eventually be expanded to a 1000pt with 2 full WW squadrons (EML and SL,) and an almost identical Autarch without a Banshee Mask.

Thoughts?

Cheers :biggrin:

(Tactical suggestions for using reserves would also be appreciated).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Personally, I would play with a squad of Rangers, a Farseer with Doom, an EML Serpent with a full squad of Dire Avengers with dual shuriken catapults and Bladestorm and a War walker.

Farseer with Doom and Singing Spear (83)

10 Dire Avengers: Exarch with extra shuriken catapults and Bladestorm (152)
+ Wave Serpent: TL EML and Spirit stones (130)

5 Rangers (95)

War walker with 2x Shuriken cannon (40)

Total: 500 points

I doubt you'll see any heavy tanks at 500 points, but it's always good to have a "just in case" option. Here it is the very flexible EML and the Seer's spear. You have a massively useful mobile Dire Avenger squad that will decimate any infantry you will see at 500 point games, especially when coupled with Doom. You have Rangers that are there to deal with the heavier stuff, MC and the like if they happen to be on the board and the War walker is an all-rounder with those 6 S6 shots that are very good against MC and pretty good against lighter vehicles like Trukks or Rhinos.

Swooping Hawks are an expensive unit that dies to anything that sneezes their way. In 500 points, you have no other juicier targets available to shoot at, so they -will- die. Instantly. At 1000 points and above, I guess they can work, but general consensus is that they aren't worth their points and are pretty confused at what they want to do. They can't reliably kill vehicles and their guns perform pretty poorly even against hordes, unless you field many of them. If you like them, I'd say go for it, use them. But definitely not at 500 points.

·
Registered
67 Posts
melt down the swooping hawks and send them back to GW so they can make a good model out of their molten remians.

+1 to the above list suggestion.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Your list sounds like you have based it round the hawks so I say keep them in, If you like the unit then dont let how well they perform change your mind unless t starts getting you down.

As for your original question I would go first with the farseer then the Avatar.
I would keep the seer cheap with just one power so you can invest points in the hawks. And if you use the avatar then try to use it as a fire magnet to keep the hawks alive.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey all, thanks for the replies. I have less insight into the meta atm, and can see how the Hawks would make good fodder. I had thought the 24'' range of the Lasblaster and pinning might give the Hawks some survivability. The main idea behind my list was to take and hold, pin opponents, and provide reserve flexibility with an eye to the eventual 1000pt expansion.

When I dropped the Sun Rifle Exarch, however, I noticed I could squeeze in some interesting HQ and was wondering if that was a viable option. What I'm worried about in this list is being out ranged and DS+Flamer, and I don't know how prevalent that would be in 500pt match.

In terms of the list you proposed, the DAVU is definitely an Eldar standard. I might replace the EML with a SL and vectored engines, eliminate the WW and upgrade your Rangers to Pathfinders. But then again, I barely know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the comments :biggrin:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Pinning doesn't really work in this edition as so many armies have high leadership or special rules like fearless. The only armies that it works against reliably are guard and tau but they still have their means around it.

Oh and gretchin but who cares if their grots get pinned?

·
Registered
10 Posts
it's hard with the Eldar, a lot of stuff looks good on paper, but isn't in reality. The hawks are strength 3, toughness 3... so they're okay at anti-hoad, but GW threw in grenades that make them anti-tank (but then kind of nerfed those grenades). Overall, the unit has no real role.

I LOVE Yriel, and Eldrad is a great figure. Think about ways to add those guys into your later lists.

·
Registered
32 Posts
In terms of the list you proposed, the DAVU is definitely an Eldar standard. I might replace the EML with a SL and vectored engines, eliminate the WW and upgrade your Rangers to Pathfinders. But then again, I barely know what I'm doing.

Thanks for the comments.
No problem, and I'm fairly new myself, so I wasn't really following the current metagame, rather just my observations on how the Eldar perform at lower point games while on foot. Dire Avengers are good footy choice, but they become much much better in a Serpent. A Farseer is an amazing HQ, that Doom helps immensely, but if he's out in the open, he gets shot first and foremost. With both of those things, Wave Serpent is great.

I can agree with the change to Scatterlasers(I use them myself on my WW squadron and they're ace) but not adding Vectored Engines. They are a terrible waste of points. Even in 2000+ games, I've yet to see anyone provide a decent reasoning as to why taking them would be a good idea. If it was just a 5 point upgrade to provide a safety measure, that's fine. But in all my games with Eldar, I've never had a situation where Vectored Engines would have saved my tanks.

Hawks really suffer from that 4+ save and the inability to take a transport. If you take a look at everything else in the Eldar army(apart from Harlies, which have their own way of long-range protection) it either has 4+ save and can take a Wave Serpent as a dedicated transport, or has a 3+ save and given some other way to keep up with the mechanized army, ie Inflitrating Striking Scorpions and amazingly mobile Warp Spiders. Hawks have Skyleap, but that's not nearly as useful. They're kind of a bastard child of Eldar codex.

I tried upgrading those Rangers to Pathfinders, but I didn't find those 25 points anywhere. Dropping a War Walker, you're not really giving yourself more options, because they're the cheapest thing in the Eldar codex, especially for what you get with them. Playtest it a bit, see what works for you. That's the best way to get to know your list and what's missing from it.

Happy wargaming! :victory:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts