Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm having to face my friend with his Abbadon and Chaos Marines, so i'm trying to provide the best full forward assault at 500pts.

1x Mephiston
1x Sang Priest

5x Assault Squad
5x Assault Squad

basically going to rush his infantry with mine so Abbadon and Meph can go at it, i think in combat i'd have a pretty solid advantage, the Sang priest will aslo make it harder to kill my infantry.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i see, what other suggestion would you make then? remember its only 500pts XD

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Well, if you're looking for a character to go 'toe to toe' with Abbadon, then take the Sanguinor, instead.

Just reduce some of your other choices by 25 points, and you can take him - he can fight Abbadon and win. (and then move on to butchering everything else, too).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i wonder why he's so strong, cause Meph has pretty similar stats, he can boost his WS really well and Transfixing gaze can mess with a single enemy unit, wouldnt he also gain Fearless and FNP with the Sang Priest? i wonder how Abbadon is so much more powerful, damn eternal warriors

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Firstly, because he is an eternal warrior, secondly, because he gets so many attacks, and thirdly, because he has an invulnerable save - Mephy has no invulnerable save. It isn't that Abbadon is more powerful in terms of his attacking ability - as he is not - but he can take waaaaay more punishment than Mephiston can. Well, in terms of power weapon attacks, anyway.

The sanguinor has 3+ invul save, and a WS of 8. That ends the story when it comes to fighting Abbadon, not to mention being able to select him as a target, so that he can re-roll.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Sack going one on one with Abbadon et al, I'd take as much high strength shooting & as many plasmas & TL-ACs as I could, then I'd light them up & use my speed to stay just out of range.

Otherwise Mephiston (makes opponent re-roll inv. saves) running with a large DC power weapons totting squad might be fun, if not insanely daft :)

Dallas

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mephiston and Abbadon in 500pts battle? Has anyone told you guys are both nuts?

Sanguinary priest is not flying, so he'll deny you your ability to move fast, instead of increasing your assault potential.

Mephisto is unlikely to chew through Abbadon's invulnerable save, so Sanguinor is a more reliable choice for the clash of titans. Also, if you field:
Sanguinor
Assault Squad + power weapon + meltabombs (or combat shield - just need to throw away 5pts)
Death company (let them be 3-man with Jump packs)
(little scoring here, but with such monsters on the field you are playing Annihilation, right?)
you get a funny bonus - you've only got one Sergeant in your army, so your power-weapon carrier gets Sangunor's blessing with a 100% chance. Nice, eh?

Or, if taking extra-expensive HQ is not a prerequisite and you have some models or if proxies are allowed, you may field some cheap Librarian, spam two Razorbacks with TL Assault Cannons and take a Land speeder Typhoon. Your opponent will lack transport and antitank so you'll shoot him to death without giving him a single chance to touch your fast-moving models. But it smells of tailoring.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This:

Sanguinor
Assault Squad + power weapon + meltabombs (or combat shield - just need to throw away 5pts)
Death company (let them be 3-man with Jump packs)
(little scoring here, but with such monsters on the field you are playing Annihilation, right?)
you get a funny bonus - you've only got one Sergeant in your army, so your power-weapon carrier gets Sangunor's blessing with a 100% chance. Nice, eh?
Is the way forward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts