Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am working to come up with a better 500 pt army for Chaos Deamons(EDIT:forgot to put in title). Since I am new to this I would appreciate any feedback. I thank you now for any help.

Here is what I have right now:

10xBloodletters
10xDeamonettes
1xMasque
1xDeamon Prince
Total: 480pts with no upgrades

As you can see, I have some Khorne and Slaanesh units so I got the close combat thing down, very little in terms of staying power(Nurgle) or ranged attacks(Tzeentch).

So here is my plan.

I will drop my bloodletters and deamonettes by 5 and get some nurglings for cheap staying power.I think 2 units of 4 each should be able to hold the fort.

Now I still have about 66 pts to spare so I am going to upgrade my Deamon Prince.
I was thinking about getting the Mark of Tzeentch and then the Breath of Chaos.
That way I can use the Masques ability to get the enemy bunched up for a huge attack. Since I have the points I would also add Soul Devourer for any multipoint enemies.(I will mostly be playing Space Marines and Necrons...mostly:biggrin:)

So my new army would be:

5xBloodletters
5xDeamonettes
4xNurglings
4xNurglings
1xMasque
1xDeamon Prince with Mark of Tzeentch and Breath of Chaos and Soul Devourer
Total:499

Is there some huge blatant error that I am making?

Should I somehow fit a Chaos Icon into my bloodletters of deamonettes?

·
Registered
33 Posts
No huge errors, but you might run in to some problems.

Mostly I don't think 5 Bloodletters will survive long enough to make it into CC.
And the deamonettes even more so...
So I would recommend removing one of the groups and make the other one bigger to increase the chance that it will make it to CC.

Also I don't think the souldevourer does much good on the prince as you already ignore armor saves, and the chance that you might insta-kill is not very large...
(also you might consider Bolt instead of breath for the range it gives you)

Lastly remember that nurglings can NOT hold objectives because they are swarms... this might give you some problems in objective based games as you have very few units who can hold these, so keep that in mind...

·
Registered
592 Posts
Honestly, Soul Devourer should only be considered for Heralds, and even then you don't really want Heralds in close combat.

Personally, for 500 points, I would probably go with something like

Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot (5 wounds eternal warrior with 4++? Good luck getting rid of that) with Bolt, Master of Sorcery, We are Legion.

Fiend of Slaanesh with Might
Fiend of Slaanesh with Might

10 Bloodletters
5 Plaguebearers
5 Plaguebearers

They can't get rid of you
and you can put pressure on them. You can also deal sort of effectively with enemies.

Another twist could be dropping a Plaguebearer squad for 2 more fiends, one being in a single unit with might, creating this:

Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot with Bolt, We are Legion, Master of Sorcery.

Fiend of Slaanesh - might
Fiend of Slaanesh - might
Fiend of Slaaneshx2 - Might

Bloodlettersx10
Plaguebearers
Plaguebearers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I will try to work those strategies in.I figured out that Nurglings cannot hold objectives so that went out the window. For my purchases I got ten Plaguebearers for objectives and three Flamers to basically do the job of my Deamon prince.

Why does the Prince get to ignore armor saves already?

How does one go about making a herald of Tzeentch? Does he physically need a chariot or could I just say he has one?

Heres some good news though: My two friends and I might be moving up to 600pt games soon!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks I will try to work those strategies in.I figured out that Nurglings cannot hold objectives so that went out the window. For my purchases I got ten Plaguebearers for objectives and three Flamers to basically do the job of my Deamon prince.

Why does the Prince get to ignore armor saves already?

How does one go about making a herald of Tzeentch? Does he physically need a chariot or could I just say he has one?

Heres some good news though: My two friends and I might be moving up to 600pt games soon!
The Daemon Prince is a Monstrous Creature. They ignore armor saves in close combat, and get 2d6 + strength armor penetretion against vehicles in close combat.

Personally, I have used the Tomb Kings chariot set to make my Heralds of Tzeentch (and a goblin wolf chariot, kindly donated by my good friend Tossidin) from Warhammer fantasy.

I have also seen the use of green-stuffed Discs of Tzeentch etc.

These have all been pulled by Seekers of Tzeentch.

And yes, it would have to be modelled with something like a chariot, so a base and being pulled by a creature.

I have also seen someone use Flamers on surfboards, holding a chain to a Screamer :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
So you bought the plaguebearers and some flamers, what does your final list look like now?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great question!

The last game I played against Space Marines was a 800 pt battle(the Marines wanted to use a vindicator). I stomped the Marines:laugh: with this list:

1x Masque - 100
3x Flamers with Bolt - 140
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Plaguebearers - 75
5x Daemonettes with Instrument of Chaos- 75
8x Bloodletters - 128
1x Daemon Prince of Chaos with Mark of Tzeentch, Iron Hide, Soul Devourer, Bolt of Tzeentch, Instrument of Chaos, and Daemonic Gaze - 205

Grand Total 793

I know the Daemon Prince had way too much items on him, soul devourer for example, but I wasn't sure how hard getting to that vindicator tank was going to be. I did destroy the cannon on it turn three from the bolt by the daemon prince when he deep struck in right behind the tank.

I am noticing that the Masque is getting less efficient every game I play. Is there any HQ unit I should start to focus on getting? My assumption would be a herald of some sort, probably Tzeentch cause the Daemon Pirince is so much more expensive for the same thing.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my opinion you should drop the bolt on the flamer squad because they can already use breath, the DP isn't so bad just drop the soul devourer the daemonettes could use some beefing up and you should probably replace the masque with something, maybe not a herald though...perhaps a skulltaker to stick in with your beserker squad? Or the blue scribe guys. I'd probably consider dropping the DP altogether for a Soul Grinder with phlem and use your points somewhere else. Congrats on winning though :wink:

Cheers

·
Registered
320 Posts
if you drop the masque, daemonettes, soul devour and instrument on your prince you can afford to get a GUO with breath of chaos. in small games a GUO is a frightening sight to a lot of people

·
Registered
268 Posts
if you drop the masque, daemonettes, soul devour and instrument on your prince you can afford to get a GUO with breath of chaos. in small games a GUO is a frightening sight to a lot of people
Yes (murmur) great unclean one (murmur) would be good in this kind of game (murmur).

·
Registered
594 Posts
From what i have seen, the Masque is the a totally useless HQ. I've had good results with a few of them, so here i go:

-Bloodthirsters /w Unholy Might.
These guys are pure beasts. one of the killyest units available to any army. Furious Charge means they hit at a monumental S9/I6 on the charge, which very few things can survive. Their 3+/4++ save makes them reasonably hard, but you still need to be careful (unless you run 2, then go to town). Enemy lists without enough mid-long range high S shots or a million PFs/THs will simply be incapable of dealing with them short of dice-god intervention.

-Skulltaker on Juggernought
Also an awesome manbeast and better on the points pool than a Thirster, although he needs a large bloodletter squad to hang with. S5 T5 A5 with 4+ Rending Insta-kills? YES PLEASE!
Only real problem is inability to deal with vehicles and only 3 wounds, so you kinda have to make your list with him in mind, but you certainly get what you pay for.

-Herald of Tzeentch/w Chariot and other bits
5 wounds eternal warrior with 4++? Good luck getting rid of that
^Basicly this. Flies around casting lolmagics, and probably wont be killed short of being tied up in melee, but a Jetbike should never get caught in CC unless you want him there.

-The Blue Scribes
Mosty for a Tzeentch force, but can roll with a single large-ish Flamer squad easily enough. Comes with ALL the Herald of Tzeentch powers, plus Pavane of Slaanesh, and a 50% chance to double-cast a power (this can be a mixed blessing, but with proper target priority can be very effective).
You'll have to model them yourself, but that shoud be fairly simple with a little ingenuity.

-Keeper of Secrets /w Sporific Musk + Unholy Might
Cheaper than a Bloodthirster. No wings, but has Fleet and Hit & Run.
Initiative 10 with assault grenades, 6 base attacks, and Hit & Run = lots of dead models.
Won't deal with ultra-hard things as well as a Bloodthirster, and will die slightly faster, but may very well give you more bang for your buck.

Thats all i've personally used. I've heard good things about GUOs, but i don't have the expertise to comment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my guess since the Masque is not great as HQ, I should to convert her to a
Herald of Slaanesh
on a chariot with
Sopofiric Musk and
Daemonic Gaze and
either Unholy might or Transfixing Gaze

for about the same points

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well until I get paid(I just spent 1600 buck fixing my car:angry:)

It looks like I am looking at getting some seekers(for pulling the chariot), some sort of chariot for my Herald, some fiends, and the Keeper of Secrets.

So my complete army should be around 1000 points and contain any variation of:

1 Keeper of Secrets
1 Herald of Slaanesh
3 Flamers
2 Fiends
10 Plaguebearers
10 Bloodletters
10 Daemonettes
1 Daemon Prince

Now just to figure out what to add to whom. Which is a pretty nice place to be!:biggrin: I'll probably stick to 800 point games with my friends til we get all the rules straightened out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts