Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd like some input on a a couple of army lists for a buddy of mine who's new to the hobby, here's the lists i recommended for him (he originally bought a box of Scouts and won an old Techmarine from eBay):

List A:
HQ: Master of the Forge (1#, 100 pts)

Elite: Sternguard Veteran Squad (5#, 145 pts)
4 Sternguard Veteran Combi-Plasmagun x2; Missile Launcher x2
1 Sergeant

Troops: Scout Squad (5#, 85 pts)
4 Scout Squad Sniper Rifle x3; Missile Launcher
1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

Heavy Support: Predator (1#, 85 pts)
1 Predator Autocannon; Heavy Bolter

------------------------------------------

List B:

Elite: Sternguard Veteran Squad (5#, 145 pts)
4 Sternguard Veteran Combi-Plasmagun x4
1 Sergeant
1 Razorback Twin Linked Assault Cannon

1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

the biggest difference is what tank to take with this list, but it matters how you deploy the army, whether you want to camp out and shoot with 4 ML shots per turn or be aggressive with the Sternguard.

what do you guys think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
i wouldnt outfit the sternguard with ml or plasma. devs w/ 2 ml are 120pts and get one shot at 5 bs. sternz have a special ammo that can kill them already, not really needing a special kill themselves plasma upgrade. you could do combiflamer or combimelta, heavy flamer(s), or run them straight. and put them in a rhino for the ability to shoot out with two marines.

other than that i like the list with pred and the second where the sternz have transport.

motf 100
scouts ml, snipes 85
scouts snipes 75
sternz 125
rhino 35
pred 85

500 on the dot, not much tank/armor busting though. could drop the sterns for some sort of fire support. upgrade the pred to tllc & las sponsons, or drop that too and add two or three land speeders with mm/hf.

gl

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
talked to my buddy, and he thinks this is viable:

1 Master of the Forge

Elite: Sternguard Veteran Squad (8#, 230 pts)
6 Sternguard Veteran Squad: Combi-Flamer x1; Combi-Meltagun x3
1 Sergeant
1 Drop Pod

1 Sergeant

1 Sergeant

comments?

·
Registered
87 Posts
What's the thinking behind the Drop Pod for for the Sternz, is the plan to DS them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
heh no, he's going to drive the drop pod right up the middle with the fast-trax upgrade in the new rules, didn't you know?!

ps. i can see that list being fun, inq.winkle.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the thinking behind the Drop Pod for for the Sternz, is the plan to DS them.
no. the idea is if i go first, i get to alpha strike against whatever i want to attack.

if i go second, my heavy hitting component is safely inside a drop pod that comes in on my first turn.

@lsarofeen: would you take that last list to a tourney? i think it has merit, myself, but what do you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
my first concern is being over-run by horde armies. if you can position well, and if possible bottleneck your opponent, it'd be very helpful.

secondly, what concerns me about snipes vs. hordes is that scouts don't tend to kill a lot of models. positioning will be crucial.

~ other than that i think the fear factor of snipes and dp-sternz will play greatly in your favor ~

ill try it out sometime as well and let you know how it plays for me. it'd play test switching between a drop pod and a rhino for the sterns. rhino keeps the sternz alive a bit and helps them re-position in a pinch. though the dp can clinch the game for you if all goes to plan, albeit more risky.

good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts