6 DA+exarch w/ 2 Shuricken catapults+Bladestorm=104
6 DA+exarch w/ power weopan&shimmer sheild=99pts

Fast Attack-
8 warp spiders=176

Total=489pts
11 left over

21 men/elves

What do people think?
Warp spiders go of taking out lone squads while Autarch acts as a assasian.
DA's camp on objectives.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
you should remove a few spiders. 8 at 500pts is too much. Instead take out about 2-3 of them and bolster your Dire Avenger out as they cna die easyily so you need more numbers.
The rest seems fine to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about giving Autarch a fusion gun and replacing 3 war spiders for 3 jetbikes?
This gives a total of 499pts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Autarch 120 Jump Pack + Reaper Launcher
Rangers 120 Path Finders
Rangers 120 Path Finders
Wraithlord 135 EML+Scatter Laser
how about that for a 500 point list :)

doubt it would do very well but you would be bloody annoying to try and kill.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thats not helpful advice Udders. That list is nothing like the one he posted so why would he be interested in it?

I agree with jaws. More avengers and a few less spiders would be helpful as at the moment the avengers seem too fragile for reliable objective grabbing.

Also if you want the autarch to be on his own then hawk wings are a much better option. Spider jump packs if you use their assult move have a 1/6 of a chance to kill your autarch outright when hes on his own.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My friend uses a list similar to this-

HQ-Farseer w/ warlock bodyguard 1 0r 2 psychic powers
Troops-7 man DA squad with exarch and bladestorm
Troops-10 man guardian squad with suriken cannon platform
Heavy Support-1 wraithlord with wraithsword and shuriken catapault

His tactic is 'run straight, don't look back' its funny because he gets everybody to shoot at his wraithlord and leave the rest of him army unscathed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Also, the secret of any Eldar army is to think of it like a painting.

The HQ and the two troops are the actual drawing.
The Aspect Warriors are the colours.
And the tanks and jetbikes are like the shadings, finishing touches and other things that hold the picture together.

If the drawing is bad the the whole picture is ruined. If the colours are bad the whole picture looses its sepciality. And if it looses its finishing touches it'll look like a 3-year old assembled the whole thing.
But if the picture has the right colours, is a good drawing and has all the nessacary finishing touches it will be great and work together and never loose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also if you want the autarch to be on his own then hawk wings are a much better option. Spider jump packs if you use their assult move have a 1/6 of a chance to kill your autarch outright when hes on his own.
Not if he's putting him in the spider squad it isn't! I always play like that(including a tootled up spider exaerch of course)and it works rather well.

Drop some spiders to get more DA, and that sould do it :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
He said he would use him as an assasin. Which im guessing means he will be on his own. If you were planning on putting him in the squad then yeah thats fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
You can still deep strike if you have a Warp spider jump pack. It makes you jump infantry and all jump infantry now gain the deepstrike rule.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Thats only if you include a unit of them in the list. And a unit of warp spiders are much better. The autarch if designed to be on his own, not in a unit, then wings. If hes with the unit of spiders then jump pack.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I still reckon swooping hawks would be better!

Deep strike-Injure body/honour guard
Fight-Masacre
Reinforcements Come-Take to the skies again

Also warp spiders can take casualties when they teleport but swooping hawks can just move 12inchs without any casualties!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I still reckon swooping hawks would be better!
Strength 3 guns, cant move as far, only a point cheaper each and worse save. Spiders ARE better. Hawks have their niche, its not in smaller games.

Deep strike-Injure body/honour guard
Fight-Masacre
Reinforcements Come-Take to the skies again
If you mean the hawks are assulting with the Autarch then they will be butchered by even tactical marines.

If you mean the Autarch is on his own then he cant skyleap. He needs the exarch of the hawks to do that.

Also warp spiders can take casualties when they teleport but swooping hawks can just move 12inchs without any casualties!
They can both move 12 without any casualties in the movement phase, its just the spiders then have the additional option of doing a second jump with 1/6 chance of killing one member of the squad.

This entirely relies on the tactics of the list maker. If the Autarch is alone then give him hawk wings! If he is part of a unit then match him with the movement of the unit he is with. If he is with spiders then give him the spider jump pack, if he is with anything on foot then dont give him anything, if he is with a jetbike unit then give him a jetbike and if he is with swooping hawks then give him the wings.

And just to let you know, spiders are better then hawks in these smaller games.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Is this for 40k in 40 minutes? I've found that 500 point games work a lot better for that format... The game is not even remotely balanced for 500 points, but 40k in 40 works just fine.

It feels like the Spiders are the core of the army. My advice is going to be based on the notion that the spiders will be your mainstay and that other units will be supporting them as they carve a path of destruction around the map. Leave them in, they're the best fast attack option that Eldar have.

Personally, I'd like a force that works together a bit better. Close combat upgrades don't really do anything for Dire Avenger squads, because they're still terrible at close combat.

If you cut the DA squad upgrades out, you could slide a war walker in there. That'd help it feel more like a small task force (war walker with some Spiders sent to investigate something with a DA squad there to hold any fortifications/terrain they find) and it'd be a huge upgrade. In small games scatter-armed warwalkers are awesome, and between them and the spiders they can team up on things.

Like I said, if it was me I'd be playing 40in40, so I'd only need a troops choice, and an autarch wouldn't be allowed, so I'd have other options, but you might also consider switching one of the DA squads over to jetbikes. 3 of them cost 66 points and they're really good at getting around the field. Given the cost difference between 3 jetbikes and 6 DA, plus the 10 surplus points you'd have left, and you could still beef up the remaining DA squad or else add a cannon to the jetbikes.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
<3

At 500 points, even a relatively fluff-free gamer (like yours truly) has no problem constructing an inner narrative about it being some silly little patrol that gets stuck in a firefight.

The warwalkers might have been scouts already on hand, there might be EJB there for similar reasons and then the Spiders were given command as being the best people to investigate something. But I dislike engaging Dire Avengers when I don't have vehicles for them, so that's my personal interpretation.

edit: Also, Hawks are utter crap. Never field them. Ever.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts