Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 35 old MK6 Beakie Marines and I wanted to use them as a 500pt ally of my elder. I don't want to buy anymore figs yet. I was looking for input on HQ, Tactical, and Devastator Squads. Figs came with bolt guns, bolt pistols, power fists, flamers, and missile launchers. I was thinking 2 tactical squads, and one devastator squad split in half.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Two tacs and a 5 man Devastator squad w/ 4x MLs is taking advantage of IF chapter tactics nicely. I would suggest a Master of the Forge for HQ as he can bolster the defenses of the Devs and hang out with them if they get charged.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wondering if I would be better off with 2 x 5 man Devestators 4 x lascannons each 300pts. Then 2 x 5 man Tacticals 140 pts. Can I get a bare bones librarian for ~ 60pts.?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Your libby will not have access to Divination, which is where Prescience resides. Not that the other tables are lame, but....they kinda are. Humble opinion and all.

8 LCs is way overkill when you get to re-roll your S8 Krak shots anyway. MLs keep you effective against infantry as well as vehicles. If you want, you could take a 10 man squad w/ 2x ML and 2x LC and combat squad them with two heavy weapons each side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK how about this looking to max Chapter Tactics.
Libby 65
6 x Tacticals 84
6 x Tacticals 84
5 x Devastaters (4 x ML) 130
total 493pts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I would drop the second Devastator squad for 10 man tactical squads and add a special weapon to each tactical squad to fill out the remaining points.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
A good choice for the points, though a master of the forge might also serve well here.

Have you given any thoughts as to what discipline the librarian will be using?

6 x Tacticals 84
6 x Tacticals 84
Personally I don't like either of these squads. Low numbers and not very mobile means they can't afford a lot of damage and will be spending most of the game hoofing it to their goal.

I would strongly advise you consider a unit of scouts for one of your troops, possibly five strong with bolters and a heavy bolter. Then a tactical squad with meltagun or heavy bolter and two additional marines.

While missile launchers are a good choice overall, I hate seeing devestator squads like this. You have one model that can be used as an ablative wound, after that your heavy weapons start getting risked.

I always advocate two bodies for each heavy weapon, and so would recommend dropping the fourth missile launcher from each unit for a sixth marine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about:
Libby 65
8 x Tacticals 112
8 x Tacticals 112
5 x Devastators (2 ML) 100
5 x Devastators (2 ML) 100
Total 489
What is my best bang for the buck with the last 11pts?

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
With those last eleven points, a pair of flamers for the tactical squads would likely be best. Though I'd suggest dropping one down to seven strong and picking up a third missile launcher on one of the devestator squads. Not a 2:1 ratio on heavy weapons, but theres more than one extra body to soak up the initial wounds which is fine.

So:

HQ:
Librarian

Troops:
Tactical squad
3x Additional marines, flamer

Tactical squad
2x Additional marines, flamer

Heavy Support:
Devestator squad
3 Missile launcher

Devestator squad