Dire Avengers (7 + exarch) 144
-Power Sword and Shimmer Shield
-Disarming Strike

Windrider Jetbike Squad (4) 78
-Shuriken Cannon

Windrider Jetbike Squad (4) 78
-Shuriken Cannon

Warp Spiders (5) 95

Dire Avengers with Farseer hold the center and make a juicy target, however with shimmer shield I hope they survive a bit. In melee/challenges the exarch can provide a lot. Other units dance around and hit vulnerable points, then jetbikes take objectives.

Any recommendations for this? Thanks for reading! :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would recommend dropping the dire avengers there two slow compared to the rest of the army and will just get isolated and destroyed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, thanks, seermaster! I'm new to the game, and this list will comprise my first battleforce. All I really know is paper theory (and youtube vids of battles!). So I didn't realize the difference in speed would cause problems. I thought the different fast units could easily support the one slow one if needed... And I also thought the dire avengers would be pretty hardy at the point level. Is that not the case? :eek:

·
So be it.
1,901 Posts
It's not so much that they're not useful as more bikers being better for this army. The only thing they can really do is hold homefield objectives (or support the bikers after 3 ish turns of running), and they haven (in my opinion) too many upgrades for either role. If you dropped the upgrades and the extra 2 models as well as that singing spear, you could fit in another squad of bikers. If you wanted, you could instead grab some snipers (rangers) and keep the spear, and still grab those bikers. This gives you long range fire support and backfield scoring, as opposed to just backfield scoring. Avengers are good, but they need to get into the fight (within 18", though they really have a 25-30" threat range) to do anything. Often times, you'll find them fairly underwhelming even if you do get them there, and if you want them then waveserpents are pretty important for getting them up. Either way though, rangers or avengers, I would drop upgrades for more bikers, as they will be much more useful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
(There is a summary at the bottom since this post may be TL;DR)

Thanks JAMOB, that made a lot of sense. My original idea was to have the avengers walk up the middle supported by the fast guys, but it does sound like that would eliminate too many good turns of shooting.

So it sounds like either I get a Wave Serpent, or as you recommended more bikes with rangers. The Wave Serpent army doesn't sound so good since:

(Option 1)
Farseer
Dire Avengers X5
Windriders x3 (w/ shuri)
Windriders x3 (w/ shuri)
Wave Serpent (w/ scatter laser)
Warp Spiders x5

comes out to 502 points (blah, casual games anyway). My farseer would be in the tank (which I think prohibits him from casting?) and the Wave Serpent wouldn't have a cannon or Holo-Fields (I understand there's a debate about the usefulness of HFs, but being new I think I probably need some defensive upgrades to start with).

So with bikers and rangers:

(Option 2)
Farseer (w/ jetbike, singing spear)
Rangers x5
Windriders x6 (w/ 2 shuri)
Windriders x5 (w/ shuri)
Warp Spiders x5

I use 492 points. I would get pretty good damage output from all units, and a Farseer on a bike with 5 or 6 others.

Although, could I possibly take a balanced approach:

(Option 3)
Farseer (w/ jetbike)
Dire Avengers x5
Wave Serpent (w/ scatter laser, shuri cannon)
Windriders x5 (w/ shuri cannon)
Warp Spiders x5

which comes out to exactly 500 points. Farseer goes with the bikes, Avengers in the Serpent. The downside to this is that I only have two scoring units, and the avengers don't get to shoot until maybe two turns in. That said, I do get a vehicle, and the avengers can get in close safely for their shoot-run shenanigans. Not to mention, I already have the Avenger and Warp Spider models (hence I really want to use them) and this has fewer bikes, which are freaking expensive, lol.

TL;DR, which option seems best? Option 1 I think we can rule out, Option 2 is I think the most aggressive and balanced between units, and Option 3 is an okay compromise at the expense of some efficiency... I think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts