Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting everyone!

So I just got back into WH 40K a little while ago and after dusting off the marines and buying some new books I had a lot of good luck with a simple SM force (Strike Force Alpha:Tac x2, Captain, Rhino x2) It was nothing ground breaking but I won both games and really enjoyed it. My group is looking at doing a pyramid game and we usually do 2 lists per player and you get to pick which list you want to use before you find out which player you're against. At any rate I was hoping to get some comments on my Strike Force Beta list and see if maybe I am missing something important.

Strike Force Beta

(This list is based on my general love of sniper rifles (I always seem to have good luck with them), the option to have them in a land speeder right from the start is pretty exciting)

Tactical Squad A= 176 Points
9 Marines, Melta Bomb, Meltagun, Rhino (Joined by captain)

Scout Squad A= 105 Points
5 Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Land Speeder Storm

Scout Squad B= 105 Points
5 Scouts, Sniper Rifles, Land Speeder Storm

Captain= 115 Points
Captain, Artificer Armour, Storm Bolter

Now I may be missing something but from what I can tell:
1. Open Topped- All scouts can fire regularly if vehicle didn't move, snap shots of it did
2. Jink- Gives the LSS's a cover save
3. Snipers- always wound on 4+, 6+ to hit lets me pick anyone in the squad I want as a target (Look out sir! still applies), 6+ to wound give me AP 2
4. The LSS's and their passengers can infiltrate, scout, outflank and deep strike if needed. (This is one I need clarification on because I have had some people say infiltrate doesn't apply to the transport and some say that it does)
5. Jamming beacon should (In theory) prevent anything from deep striking too close.

Tactical Plan:

-The plan here would be to have the LSS's get into the best position possible (Infiltrate, Scout, Outflank or Deep Strike) and maybe do some pot shots for 1 or 2 turns. I'd likely need 6's for this time but the goal would be to try and take out any special/heavy weapons or anything that posses a direct threat to the LSS's. Then use the marine squad as a mop up crew.

-The one option I've been toying with is losing the AA on the captain and putting MM on the land speeders but being open topped with passengers seems like a lot of points to dedicate into the speeders and with just sniper rifles on board a MM wouldn't really help with any squads that get to close whereas the HB would be much more useful in this scenario.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Strike Force Beta is up for total review/commentary/critiques/scrutiny.

As always thanks in advance for anyone who comments and I am eager to hear from you

Sincerely,

Aiden

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
you dont really have anything thats going to deal with a horde army..and at 500points thats are really issue..the snipers arent really going to kill much..i would look to get some blasts/templates in there especially on the storms

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
From the BRB pg. 167 under Infiltrate, third paragraph down all by itself:

If a unit with Infiltrate deploys inside a Dedicated Transport, they may Infiltrate along with their Transport.
As for the list, I'd wager you don't have enough shooting. I am a MASSIVE fan of sniper rifles, but as a weapon to base an army around...I just don't see it working out too well for you unless your opponent is going with a less competitive list as well. They also are firing Snap Shots out of their vehicle when they're on the move, getting rid of their wonderful Precision Shot rule. Jink is also of no use to weapons that deny cover saves, and those exist all over the place. Even a Heavy Flamer can cause havoc on an Open Topped vehicle and OH HEY I just friggin' realized that any S5+ weapon can pop an OT vehicle because of the +1 to Damage Chart rolls. Of course, the trick is getting close, but if you're forced to run away from me and shoot with Snap Shot Sniper rifles and a Heavy Bolter...I'm good with that. I typically win games with Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker, and First Blood more often than by holding Objectives at this points level since everything is a scoring unit these days.

I would say the Rhino/Tactical/Captain combo is going down pretty much every game and quickly, and those Scouts keeping on the go and dropping in at the very end with 4 Objective Secured units is the best weapon you have against Unbound lists.

The Scout squads in Storms would be a wonderful addition at a higher points level to provide you mobile scoring units and a Transport with Objective Secured, but I would sooner put them with weapons it makes sense to shoot out of a Land Speeder (which I liken to a Helicopter in terms of the ability to take clean shots out of), like Bolters. Jumping out on an objective at any point with 5 Snap shots is pretty friggin' lame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts