Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello :)
I have a small game with a friend after work today and we're both looking to have a quick game so we can get on to other plans we have in the evening. I put this together last night and do not have any way to change it up. I'm looking for some C&C on the list itself and any comments on playability.

HQ
Librarian; LvL1 Divination

Troops
Combat Squad
Tactical Squad
Tactical Squad

Fast
Assault Squad

Its 500 on the nose. The Combat Squad will be joined by the Libby.

Again, C&C is welcome :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
5 man combat squad, two 10 man Tactical squads, 5 man Assault squad? If so, that's a ton of Marines at 500 points. I guess it's not like you're facing my Guard lists where I bring a Demolisher at every points level, just hope the dice are on your side when it comes time to roll armour saves!

As a side note, do you ever play Unbound lists?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I like numbers as much as the next guy, but there is absolutely NO diversity when it comes to shooting. I think I'd get rid of 5 Tac Marines to add 70 points of equipment. I'm sure you know who you're facing, so build accordingly (meaning meltas/plasma/flamers/HBs and the like). Though the other argument is that if you know your enemy will be weak to bolters, then the list is perfect lol!

Lastly, I love libbys in low point games, but how did you give him Divination?

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
TheV0791 has a point there...SM Libby's don't have access to Divination. It's the thing I want to trade from the BA 'dex, our access to Divination for your access to Pyromancy.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the new rule book, Codex Space Marines now has a check in the box next to Divination. I've been playing Div Powers like that ever since, also, its listed as available to them in the insert for the box of Psychic powers. If this is wrong, please, let me know.

Originally I had thought about running a Libby with Digital Weapons and 5 Combat squads with 5 Heavy Bolters and 5 Stormbolters. Not much diversity there, but, I am playing against Nids today :)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Codex trumps BRB, in the 'dex:

PSYKER: Librarians generate their powers from the
Biomancy, Pyromancy, Telekinesis and Telepathy disciplines.
Then we got the FAQ:

Any model with the Psyker special rule may generate powers from the Daemonology discipline in addition to others listed in their Army List Entries.
Nothing about Divination, unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The Psyker quote I took was from the Librarian entry in the SM codex, and doesn't list Divination. The FAQ adds Daemonology, but not Divination unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That's the first time I've ever heard that sentiment, the BRB has traditionally been core rules leaving faction-specific rules to the Codices. There's tons of instances where Codex rules take precedence over BRB rules, specially when it comes to Character models.

I've been looking for any reference in the BRB where it says what faction can take what power and I can't find anything of the type. Where did you see this 'check' next to Divination for Space Marines?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's the first time I've ever heard that sentiment, the BRB has traditionally been core rules leaving faction-specific rules to the Codices. There's tons of instances where Codex rules take precedence over BRB rules, specially when it comes to Character models.

I've been looking for any reference in the BRB where it says what faction can take what power and I can't find anything of the type. Where did you see this 'check' next to Divination for Space Marines?
If its not there then its with the Army Entry insert with the Psychic Powers cards.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I would still take the word of the Codex over the cards, they're just playing aids and not meant to disseminate new rules. Post up a thread about it if you care, but I'm pretty sure that the only Space Marine Librarian that has access to Divination is Tigurius.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would still take the word of the Codex over the cards, they're just playing aids and not meant to disseminate new rules. Post up a thread about it if you care, but I'm pretty sure that the only Space Marine Librarian that has access to Divination is Tigurius.
Tigurius is 65 points, right?

I don't care enough about it, I saw it on the insert and its most likely a misprint.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The powers card shows any schools of powers that the army has access to, not the schools that any psyker in the army can take. Since Tigurius can take Divination, Divination is on that card for Space Marines--that doesn't mean that a Librarian can take Divination, because the codex doesn't let them. Similarly, Chaos Space Marines only have access to Divination via an artifact from one of their supplements, and it's still included on that card as available to their army.

Another excellent example: the card says Daemons can use Divination, Biomancy, and Telepathy--but for the majority of casters in their book, only Tzeentchi casters can take Divination, only Nurglish casters can take Biomancy, and only Slaaneshi casters can take Telepathy. It emphatically doesn't mean any caster can generate any powers related to their army from the index card.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The powers card shows any schools of powers that the army has access to, not the schools that any psyker in the army can take. Since Tigurius can take Divination, Divination is on that card for Space Marines--that doesn't mean that a Librarian can take Divination, because the codex doesn't let them. Similarly, Chaos Space Marines only have access to Divination via an artifact from one of their supplements, and it's still included on that card as available to their army.

Another excellent example: the card says Daemons can use Divination, Biomancy, and Telepathy--but for the majority of casters in their book, only Tzeentchi casters can take Divination, only Nurglish casters can take Biomancy, and only Slaaneshi casters can take Telepathy. It emphatically doesn't mean any caster can generate any powers related to their army from the index card.
Wow, I wish that had been included with the cards. Thank you for clearing that up Mossy Toes. Well, I played my game today and mowed down a lot of Nids and Nods ate some Marines as well. It was a fun game with hilarity on both sides. There was even the a new mini named, Boris The 'Gaunt, who managed to be the only survivor in his squad and achieved Line Breaker before getting smacked in the face. :shok:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts